Rank These Goalies

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
BTW I believe Price is going to be the best of all the goalies in this thread. The kid is going to be a star.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Why does everyone rate Pogge so low? I know he wasn't the wall in the playoffs that he was in the regular season but that was only 13 games and he still managed 2 shutouts. Would anyone rate Price or Montoya above him if they were drafted lower? Price was actually worse last year than the season before. Schneider to me looks like someone who could step up and do something big next year. He is my number one and the rest are kind of all bunched together but I would put Schwarz and Price at the bottom of this group since neither came off a particularly stellar year.

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
nuck said:
Why does everyone rate Pogge so low? I know he wasn't the wall in the playoffs that he was in the regular season but that was only 13 games and he still managed 2 shutouts. Would anyone rate Price or Montoya above him if they were drafted lower? Price was actually worse last year than the season before. Schneider to me looks like someone who could step up and do something big next year. He is my number one and the rest are kind of all bunched together but I would put Schwarz and Price at the bottom of this group since neither came off a particularly stellar year.

watch the team who price play and the team who pogge play :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead with no price , tri city , was not on playoff

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
nuck said:

Well you can't only check out the stats to do a good ranking. You have to keep in mind the potential of the goaltender, the natural skills that he has.......

And look at Montaya and Shneider. They both didn't had a good season two years ago and last year, they were both top goaltenders of their league.

Price - First because he has everything to be a star. Need to be more consistant...
Montoya - Close from the first, but I think he don't have the mind of Price...
Pavalec - Will be a good one...but not in Atlanta. Will not be bad enough to be a starter
Rask - Nice set of skills...the top four is hard to rank
Harding - Don't know him much...
Schneider - Might be good, but I have my doubts
Schwarz - His Hasek style might not make him a sure bet to reach the NHL
Pogge - Has the potential to be one of the best backup in the NHL
Howard - similar situation to Pogge

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
The WJC That he wont even Play In! :sarcasm:

If he didn't made a stupid mistake by not attending a practice, Price would have been #1 this year, therefore he would be one with the fewest goal allowed in a WJC (behind this defense any good goalie would have been outstanding.). So I think he's a lock for next year...

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
If he didn't made a stupid mistake by not attending a practice, Price would have been #1 this year, therefore he would be one with the fewest goal allowed in a WJC (behind this defense any good goalie would have been outstanding.). So I think he's a lock for next year...

Attending a practice might have been one of the reason, but the main reason IMO was that he was horrible in the practice games.

I still think Price is an excellent prospect, but IMO he is not the best goaltending prospect.

Just my opinion though..

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
MaDdY said:
Attending a practice might have been one of the reason, but the main reason IMO was that he was horrible in the practice games.

I still think Price is an excellent prospect, but IMO he is not the best goaltending prospect.

Just my opinion though..

I'm not very high on Price myself (I really like Rask BTW, great prospect and was the only reason Finland won a medal IMO), but there is no doubt he could/should have made the team last year and that he will make it this time around. He has all the tool, is he willing to work to achieve his goals? That remains to be seen.

Lupul*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
Well you can't only check out the stats to do a good ranking. You have to keep in mind the potential of the goaltender, the natural skills that he has.......

And look at Montaya and Shneider. They both didn't had a good season two years ago and last year, they were both top goaltenders of their league.

Price - First because he has everything to be a star. Need to be more consistant...
Montoya - Close from the first, but I think he don't have the mind of Price...
Pavalec - Will be a good one...but not in Atlanta. Will not be bad enough to be a starter
Rask - Nice set of skills...the top four is hard to rank
Harding - Don't know him much...
Schneider - Might be good, but I have my doubts
Schwarz - His Hasek style might not make him a sure bet to reach the NHL
Pogge - Has the potential to be one of the best backup in the NHL
Howard - similar situation to Pogge
Yeah because a having 1.90 GAA and having a 13-1-4 record as a freshmen isn't a good year.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Kafka said:
Were would Greiss rank in that list?

Greiss for me is in the bottom third. He's going to progress much faster than most of the guys on the list because he's already playing internationally and with men though.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
HaelWho said:
Greiss for me is in the bottom third. He's going to progress much faster than most of the guys on the list because he's already playing internationally and with men though.

Likewise.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
habsfan15 said:
From what I understand, Lehtonen is Atlanta's franchise goaltender. So I'm not sure where Pavelec fits in. Only time will tell.

I do believe Lehtonen will be a better goaltender than Pavelec though.
Pavelec is very good. We all know that from this past season in the Q. However, Lehtonen is a one in every ten years type of goalie. He'll be the best goalie in the league for the next dozen seasons.

If Pavelec's game translates well to the pro game, Atlanta is going to have a good problem on their hands.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
clay said:
Pavelec: has been outstanding this year in the Q. Great refelxes and positioning to be a #1 goalie.

Rask: anyone who saw the World Juniors knows what this kid has to offer. He needs to bulk up, but he is the real deal.

Montoya: has an unbelievable amount of potential, but hasn't shown it too much.

Schneider: has dominated in every league he has ever played in, and shows great #1 potential.

Pogge: Tremendous in the WHL and World Juniors, but doesn't have all that many tools to work with.

Price: Very inconsistent, but very good nonetheless, he will show his stuff at the World Juniors next year.

Harding: Like Schneider, has been great at all levels, and needs to prove himself at the next level.

Schwarz: Has just been average his past two seasons, with a bad World Junior outing. Has yet to prove himself.

Howard: Had a very poor final half of the season in the AHL, and needs to show more consistency in his game.

I agree completely about the consistency, but had a very poor final half? He won 12 in a row from February to April and his goals against was 2.46 in February, 1.80 in March, and 2.39 in April.

He wasn't great every game in the playoffs, but he's a rookie AHL goalie who put up a line of 27-6-2, 2 SO, 2.58 and .910 at 21 years old. I think a lot of posters in this thread are selling him short. I haven't really seen any of the other guys play and I'm a Wings fan, so I'm not going to sit here and say Howard is the best, or will be the best, but I'm very, very excited about his future.

Mtl6

May 21, 2004
Rask
Pogge
Price
Harding
Pavalec
Montoya
Schneider
Schwarz
Howard

Ad