Rank these D for 2006 Draft

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
Rank these D for the 2006 draft...(Obviously EJ is #1 but i'm currious as to opinions on the others)

NA Players

Erik Johnson-USA NTDP
Nigel Williams-USA NTDP
Bobby Sanguinetti-Owen Sound (OHL)
Ben Shutron-Kingston (OHL)
Mark Mitera-U. of Michigan (CCHA)
Ty Wishart-Prince George (WHL)
Brian Strait-USA NTDP
Carl Sneep-Brainerd High School, Minn. (U.S. high school)
David Fischer-Apple Valley High School, Minn. (U.S. high school)
Kevin Montgomery-USA NTDP
Chris Summers-USA NTDP
Derrick LaPoint-Eau Claire North High School, WI (U.S. high school)
Simon Danis-Pepin-Maine (Hockey East)
Eric Gryba-Green Bay (USHL)
Michael Ratchuk-USA NTDP
Kyle Medvec-Apple Valley High School, Minn. (U.S. high school)
Jamie McBain-USA NTDP

Euro Players

Yuri Alexandrov-Cherepovets (Russia)
Jonas Ahnelov-Frolunda (Sweden Jr.)
Timo Seppanen-IFK (Finland Jr.)
Dennis Persson-Vasteras (Sweden Jr.)
Valery Zhukov-Nizhny Novgorod (Russia Div. 1)
David Ruzicka-Kladno (Czech Jr.)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Primetime955 said:
Rank these D for the 2006 draft...(Obviously EJ is #1 but i'm currious as to opinions on the others)
I don't see the high school or USHL kids at all, so I won't even mention them. The NTDP guys it's just the WU-18, so that's not worth much either. In short, my list is meaningless and should be of interest to nobody except myself. ;) But for my own entertainment, then:

1. Erik Johnson-USA NTDP <obvious>
2. Ty Wishart-Prince George (WHL) <sort of crossing my fingers on the high points of his game, not the low points, and thinking he'll bring it all together as he matures>
3. Bobby Sanguinetti-Owen Sound (OHL) <not a fan, but you can't overlook his skill>
4. Ben Shutron-Kingston (OHL) <I think he's underrated>
5. Mark Mitera-U. of Michigan (CCHA) <a bit in the same category as Wishart, I think he has elements of his game that need work, but he's in a program to make it happen>
6. Jamie McBain-USA NTDP <clearly made a huge impact at WU-18>
7. Brian Strait-USA NTDP <seemed poised and solid, not sure what the upside is>
8. Nigel Williams-USA NTDP <based only on hearsay only, but the WU-18 wasn't encouraging to me>
9. Michael Ratchuk-USA NTDP <smaller skilled guys might have more of a future and he definitely looked small and skilled..>
10. David Ruzicka-Kladno (Czech Jr.) <seemed pretty rough around the edges to me... probably has a big upside, but I didn't really appreciate his comportment.>
11. Chris Summers-USA NTDP
12. Kevin Montgomery-USA NTDP

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
Primetime955 said:

NA Players

Erik Johnson-USA NTDP
Nigel Williams-USA NTDP
Bobby Sanguinetti-Owen Sound (OHL)
Ben Shutron-Kingston (OHL)
Mark Mitera-U. of Michigan (CCHA)
Ty Wishart-Prince George (WHL)
Brian Strait-USA NTDP
Carl Sneep-Brainerd High School, Minn. (U.S. high school)
David Fischer-Apple Valley High School, Minn. (U.S. high school)
Kevin Montgomery-USA NTDP
Chris Summers-USA NTDP
Derrick LaPoint-Eau Claire North High School, WI (U.S. high school)
Simon Danis-Pepin-Maine (Hockey East)
Eric Gryba-Green Bay (USHL)
Michael Ratchuk-USA NTDP
Kyle Medvec-Apple Valley High School, Minn. (U.S. high school)
Jamie McBain-USA NTDP

Euro Players

Yuri Alexandrov-Cherepovets (Russia)
Jonas Ahnelov-Frolunda (Sweden Jr.)
Timo Seppanen-IFK (Finland Jr.)
Dennis Persson-Vasteras (Sweden Jr.)
Valery Zhukov-Nizhny Novgorod (Russia Div. 1)
David Ruzicka-Kladno (Czech Jr.)

Here is my top 10

1. Erik Johnson-USA NTDP
2. Nigel Williams-USA NTDP
3. Bobby Sanguinetti-Owen Sound (OHL)
4. Ben Shutron-Kingston (OHL)
5. Brian Strait-USA NTDP
6. Derrick LaPoint-Eau Claire North High School, WI (U.S. high school)
7. Jamie McBain-USA NTDP
8. Carl Sneep-Brainerd High School, Minn. (U.S. high school)
9. Mark Mitera-U. of Michigan (CCHA)
10. David Fischer-Apple Valley High School, Minn. (U.S. high school)

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Fischer reminds me of Brent Burns. Has moves and plays at times like a power forward but likes to play on the blue line. Both well over six feet and need toi fill out. Burns is getting a nasty edge and Fischer pretty much has one allready. No idea where that puts him. But should at least be a solid D man that can pass nd if he sees open ice will not be scared to take it to the net as supposed to dump it in.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
How high could Fischer be going? You just know there is always one of those wildcard US blueliners who'll be selected higher than predicted, and from the sound of it, that could be him in 2006.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
Kyle Chipchura said:
How high could Fischer be going? You just know there is always one of those wildcard US blueliners who'll be selected higher than predicted, and from the sound of it, that could be him in 2006.

I think Fischer could go anywhere from 20 to about 60...I also think that LaPoint could sneak up into the early second round. Those are my two suprise picks. Fischer is more advanced at this point though. LaPoint has a lot of filling out to do.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
Kinbote said:
Wow, that's a lot of Americans.

Americans are going to dominate the defensive side of the draft in my opinion. There are 7 solid defensmen from the NTDP (Johnson, McBain, Williams, Straight, Montgomery, Sommers, and Ratchuk) along with 4 superb high school players (LaPoint, Fischer, Medvec, Sneep), and Mitera from Michigan and Gryba from Green Bay.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Primetime955 said:
Americans are going to dominate the defensive side of the draft in my opinion. There are 7 solid defensmen from the NTDP (Johnson, McBain, Williams, Straight, Montgomery, Sommers, and Ratchuk) along with 4 superb high school players (LaPoint, Fischer, Medvec, Sneep), and Mitera from Michigan and Gryba from Green Bay.

Plus CHLers Joey Ryan, Andrew Andricopoulos, Bob Sanguinetti

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
montreal said:
Plus CHLers Joey Ryan, Andrew Andricopoulos, Bob Sanguinetti
I don't see Andricopoulos on anyone's radar. By chance if he does get picked it will be in the very late rounds.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
I don't see the high school or USHL kids at all, so I won't even mention them. The NTDP guys it's just the WU-18, so that's not worth much either. In short, my list is meaningless and should be of interest to nobody except myself. ;) But for my own entertainment, then:

1. Erik Johnson-USA NTDP <obvious>
2. Ty Wishart-Prince George (WHL) <sort of crossing my fingers on the high points of his game, not the low points, and thinking he'll bring it all together as he matures>
3. Bobby Sanguinetti-Owen Sound (OHL) <not a fan, but you can't overlook his skill>
4. Ben Shutron-Kingston (OHL) <I think he's underrated>
5. Mark Mitera-U. of Michigan (CCHA) <a bit in the same category as Wishart, I think he has elements of his game that need work, but he's in a program to make it happen>
6. Jamie McBain-USA NTDP <clearly made a huge impact at WU-18>
7. Brian Strait-USA NTDP <seemed poised and solid, not sure what the upside is>
8. Nigel Williams-USA NTDP <based only on hearsay only, but the WU-18 wasn't encouraging to me>
9. Michael Ratchuk-USA NTDP <smaller skilled guys might have more of a future and he definitely looked small and skilled..>
10. David Ruzicka-Kladno (Czech Jr.) <seemed pretty rough around the edges to me... probably has a big upside, but I didn't really appreciate his comportment.>
11. Chris Summers-USA NTDP
12. Kevin Montgomery-USA NTDP

How can you not be a fan of Sanguinetti and think Shutron is underrated. That makes absolutely no sense.

They're basically the same player but Sanguinetti is better in every facet.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
GagneOwnsYou said:
How can you not be a fan of Sanguinetti and think Shutron is underrated. That makes absolutely no sense.

They're basically the same player but Sanguinetti is better in every facet.
Hmm, sounds like you'd rank Sanguinetti ahead of Shutron too, then. ;)

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
Hmm, sounds like you'd rank Sanguinetti ahead of Shutron too, then. ;)

I'm just saying that I don't understand how you can like one and not the other when they are so similiar.

It's like loving the style of Martin St.Louis and hating Brian Gionta.

X-SHARKIE

Primetime955 said:

I have Fischer late 1st because of his oustanding poise with the puck, he's very similar to Brian Lee if he works on his tempo. LaPoint, Sneep, and Jeff Petry all in the early second round for me. LaPoint and Petry are tall and lanky defenseman with high hockey sense and both project as stabalizing defenseman down the road, Carl Sneep impressed me for his raw tools while in the USHL, for his size he can really skate, excellent speed with a powerful stride.

Those are four sleepers who should go 1st to second round IMO.

I have McBain in the top 20 my self after watching him improve steadily all season long.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
GagneOwnsYou said:
I'm just saying that I don't understand how you can like one and not the other when they are so similiar.

It's like loving the style of Martin St.Louis and hating Brian Gionta.
Superb example, because I like Gionta and I'm kind of indifferent towards St.Louis. :handclap:

Anyway, I already know you don't agree, so there isn't much point going further. We agree to disagree. I think Shutron has more guts and willingness to play hard than Sanguinetti does, not enough to overcome the skill gap, but enough to make me sort of like Shutron and not particularly care for Sanguinetti. But that's me and I only see both of them half a dozen times a year on TV, and so it's only my opinion and I wouldn't remotely suggest that anybody else should agree with it.

I doubt I'd draft either one of them, though. But some people talk about Sanguinetti as a potential top-10. Some people would put Shutron outside of the 1st round. Relative to those extremes, I find Shutron a bit underrated. If you're in a camp that likes Shutron in the 15-25 range in the 1st round, though, my "underrated" comment certainly does not apply.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
I have Fischer late 1st because of his oustanding poise with the puck, he's very similar to Brian Lee if he works on his tempo. LaPoint, Sneep, and Jeff Petry all in the early second round for me. LaPoint and Petry are tall and lanky defenseman with high hockey sense and both project as stabalizing defenseman down the road, Carl Sneep impressed me for his raw tools while in the USHL, for his size he can really skate, excellent speed with a powerful stride.

I have McBain in the top 20 my self after watching him improve steadily all season long.

I would agree. Fischer is going to go ahead of LaPoint and Sneep. I just dont like the way he plays in the limited viewing I had of him. He had a horrible attitude. Got 2 major penalties in 1 game, got ejected. All while getting burned 3 or 4 times by players that are supposed to be very inferior to him. I just didnt like him at all. But it was only one weekend worth of games. Other people really like him so I think it's somewhere in the middle.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Primetime955 said:
I would agree. Fischer is going to go ahead of LaPoint and Sneep. I just dont like the way he plays in the limited viewing I had of him. He had a horrible attitude. Got 2 major penalties in 1 game, got ejected. All while getting burned 3 or 4 times by players that are supposed to be very inferior to him. I just didnt like him at all. But it was only one weekend worth of games. Other people really like him so I think it's somewhere in the middle.

you talking about.....Fischer?

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
X-SHARKIE said:

Its crazy to think that I am friends with Jeff Petry. Seriously, 2 years ago, you would have thought he would be lucky to make a Junior A team. And now he is projected in the 2nd round of the NHL draft....The kid has blossomed into an outstanding player.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Related question

Just looking for opinions here, just my own curiosity:

Did Eric Gryba hurt his draft position by choosing to play in the USHL and try for an NCAA scholarship vs going the WHL route?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad