Rank these 5 D prospects

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) Romanov. Hard to nit pick flaws in his game. He's effective at both ends, has great skating and mobility, and plays physical.

2) Harris. For now. Hard to put him ahead of Fleury cause he played NHL this year but I would put Harris 2nd based on future potential we see today. I think he will be tested when he turns pro... like Brook this year. Adjustments need to be made due to less time and space and more physicality.

3) Fleury. For now. How much of a step forward can he take next season is a big question nobody has the answer for

4) Norlinder. He has the potential to be neck/neck with Romanov if he reaches his ceiling level. Very offensively gifted and needs to work on being a reliable D man in his own end. Injuries set him back pre-draft years.

5) Struble. Raw skill type athlete and tough as nails. A very solid age 18 season in the NCAA (like Harris last season). This kid can bust or be dominate. Ceiling and basement levels are a wide gap and we will know more in 12 months. Outside chance at making the US WJC roster next year IMO.

Also, Don't count out Mete, Juulsen, and Brook just yet. Usually, you don't know how good D men are until they are 23 ish. In 12 months time, there will be more up/down movement. But fun to evaluate today

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I'll first go by ceiling + probability of reaching it:

1. Romanov
2. Harris
3. Fleury
4. Norlinder
5. Struble

In terms of ceiling:

1. Romanov
2. Norlinder
3. Harris
4. Struble
5. Fleury

Im with you on everything other then Harris having higher ceiling then Struble, the greek freak got a chance to be something special if he develops well.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Harris and Romanov are similar to me in that both play an efficient, smart, 2 way game that should allow them to be 15 year pros. They aren't very flashy, but understand the game well and find a way to contribute. I think they'll both be solid top 4 guys by the age of 23/24. I would be very surprised if at least one of them doesn't make it.

Norlinder is our best shot at a dynamic, PP QB, who can control the game with his skating and dynamic puck moving. For him it'll be boom or bust IMO. No idea which way he might go but he's a very exciting prospect.

I'd put Josh Brook in the same category, though I don't think his ceiling is nearly as high. But a similar kind of d man that is either going to be a dynamic presence in 3-4 years, or he'll be gone from the org. I find it interesting that Brook is left off this list - I think it shows how we view prospects. In their D+1/2 years they are exciting, but if they haven't made the team or done something amazing in another league by then, we right them off. Completely natural for Brook to struggle to adjust to pro hockey. He needs another 2 full years in the AHL before we really know what he could be IMO.

Struble is another exciting prospect, one with fantastic skills. He's another boom or bust guy, but he's very different from someone like Norlinder. He's got raw physical skills and has unreal potential as a new-age meets old-time hockey d man. He's got the mobility to be effective in today's NHL, but the frame and mentality to be a killer. I think we're gonna have to be real patient with him as I think his biggest challenge will be learning the game so that he's not another Tinordi - great skills, no processor. Give him 3-4 full years in NCAA and another 2 in Laval. If he hits, that's a big time addition.

Of these 5 guys, I think you'd be doing well to have 3 hit. If that happens, we're doing real well.

Fleury and Juulsen deserve to be in this discussion as well, but I don't see either of them being anything more than a no. 5 d man. Juulsen's feet and injury history are holding him back, and Fleury I think is great in a limited role. Once you expand his role I think he might struggle. Could be wrong but I just don't see him being able to play more than 18 mins a night.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Im with you on everything other then Harris having higher ceiling then Struble, the greek freak got a chance to be something special if he develops well.

That's totally fair. I agree, he could be dynamic but I could see Harris being a Keith-like player. No standout skills but dominant through his efficiency. But yeah, I would have no problem with someone saying Struble has a higher ceiling. He's a player that doesn't really exist anymore.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
That's totally fair. I agree, he could be dynamic but I could see Harris being a Keith-like player. No standout skills but dominant through his efficiency. But yeah, I would have no problem with someone saying Struble has a higher ceiling. He's a player that doesn't really exist anymore.

I see the comparaison with Keith because of the size and skating/defensive game but Keith at his prime was a 1st PP Quarterback with seasons of 69-61pts, i dont see that kind of offense in Harris.. Do you!?

I see more a light version Mcdonagh

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Harris is already significantly better than Struble at the moment lol...

You do have to consider the fact that Struble is younger and was closing the gap before he got hurt. Harris definitely has to be given the edge at this point but that could change as Struble absolutely has the higher upside.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I see the comparaison with Keith because of the size and skating/defensive game but Keith at his prime was a 1st PP Quarterback with seasons of 69-61pts, i dont see that kind of offense in Harris.. Do you!?

I see more a light version Mcdonagh

No I don't see a 60-70 pt d man but I also wouldn't call Keith that either. His best 3 offensive seasons were 69, 61, 53 points. Those are the only seasons he was above 50 points. He's had 6 seasons of 40-49 points. I'd say this was closer to Keith's offensive game. I could see Harris being that kind of guy.

But yeah, I'm mostly talking about his skating and 2 way game when I compare his style to Keith's.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Of everyone listed only Fleury has proven he has NHL potential.
That’s why the thread title is ranking Prospects, not NHLers

I’m encouraged as I really like Fleury’s game, a very solid bottom pair dman at this point. The fact that most project the rest of the prospects listed to possibly achieve a higher role within the team is very good.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Romanov by a mile, then Struble and Norlinder for in too close to chose for pure upside

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Norlinder, Romanov, Brook, Struble,
Harris
Fleury

I am very high about Romanov but i have a very strong hope that Norlinder's game will turn even better

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Beaulieu
Komisarek
Tinordi
O'byrne
Emelin

Habs are going to get the best defensive team in the NHL , book it !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->