Jonathan Quick
Perttu Lindgren
Shea Guthrie
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Patrick McNeill
Mathieu Aubin
Tomas Popperle
Darren Helm

i need info about this prospects and do you thinks this players have a NHL'rs potentiel?

Thanks for your help !!

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I dont know many of the players.

But im pretty sure in every list Oshie will be number 1. :)

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Jason Allison said:
Hi,

Please, rank these 2005 Draft prospect

T.J. Oshie
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Petr Kalus
Paul Stastny
Marc-Andre Cliche
Jonathan Quick
Perttu Lindgren
Shea Guthrie
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Patrick McNeill
Mathieu Aubin
Tomas Popperle
Darren Helm

i need info about this prospects and do you thinks this players have a NHL'rs potentiel?

Thanks for your help !!

Of the ones that I've seen, I'd rank them as follows

T.J. Oshie (STL)
Paul Stastny (COL)
Shea Guthrie (NYI)
Jonathan Quick (LA)

You can view info on all of these players on the respective NHL team pages here at HF.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Jason Allison said:
if oshie were available for the draft 2006, it would be selected with which position.

Top 5
Top 10

Absolutely Not Top 5!

Top 10 A possibility

But I would Think Even Outside The Top 10 Would be more reasonable

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
1. T.J. Oshie
2. Perttu Lindgren
3. Paul Stastny

Is how i would rank the top 3, I dont know enough about the rest of the prospects to give a reasonable assement.

I might even select Perttu ahead of Oshie, Lindgren had a fabulous rookie season in Finland and will most definately be a top 2 line player. Its just a matter of how good he will be. A great darkhorse pick, but dont leave him too long because im sure he'll be snatched up.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
T.J. Oshie
Perttu Lindgren
Paul Stastny
Petr Kalus
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Marc-Andre Cliche
Jonathan Quick
Shea Guthrie
Marc-Andre Gragnani

CH Wizard

Perttu Lindgren
T.J. Oshie
Tomas Popperle
Petr Kalus
Paul Stastny
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Marc-Andre Cliche
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Jonathan Quick
Shea Guthrie
Patrick McNeill
Mathieu Aubin
Darren Helm

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Ah... Right I forgot who Popperle was!

I'd definatly have him above of Stastny.

1. Oshie
2. Lindgren
3. Popperle
4. Stastny

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
1. Perttu Lindgren
2. T.J. Oshie

3. Tomas Popperle
4. Petr Kalus
5. Paul Stastny

IMO there's a fairly significant drop off after Lindgren and Oshie.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I saw Kalus at training camp last year and i was impressed. Im kinda surprised he's not with the big club right now. He can be a good third line center. From what i saw he had good hands and speed.

Is he in Boston's plan ??

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jason Allison said:
Hi,

Please, rank these 2005 Draft prospect

T.J. Oshie
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Petr Kalus
Paul Stastny
Marc-Andre Cliche
Jonathan Quick
Perttu Lindgren
Shea Guthrie
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Patrick McNeill
Mathieu Aubin
Tomas Popperle
Darren Helm

Thanks for your help !!

T.J. Oshie-Project player. He is a goal-scoring forward who has a very advanced skill set. He has many of the things you "cannot teach" but is severly lacking in many basic areas of the game. Without a doubt, he could effectively use four full years in college to help achieve his top six potential. Concerns about size look to be uneccessary; he plays larger than he is. Having a good first year; could easily bust.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic-Smooth, puck-moving defenseman who has improved somewhat on the defensive end. Shows the traditional great work ethic of a Sharks draft pick. Has justified his draft position and then some with a great year for the Remparts. One of the best in the CHL, Vlasic almost never makes a mistake; he isn't deficient in any areas. Will be money in big games because of his calmness and reliability on the ice, but he is no gamebreaker. Lacks the vision and top-skill set to be a first-pairing defenseman. Could end up being a smoother version of Oleg Tverdosky, or a more defensively-aware Sandis Ozolnish.

Petr Kalus-A good forward who has IMO improved the past year, he is a determined player who is very good offensively. A guy who I labeled a steal on draft day, he has come through for me :). Along with a good all-around skill set, he has above-average vision that could make him a steal. Though primarily a goal-scorer, he has the potential to make a career as a playmaker. While he can also grind it out along the boards, he is more valuable on a scoring line. Relies on his great speed a bit too much, and while he has improved defensively, he needs to improve to crack the NHL, especially since few prospects immediately crack a team's top six. If he can find a team with a hole on the top two lines, he will fit in right away and take off from there. He definitely has first-line upside, if not more.

Paul Stastny- Very, very safe pick who really impressed me. One of the few who is worthy of the "name" selection. Stats themselves are a great indication of his play. Although he is a playmaker, he needs to make better decisions with the puck. Players with his vision always end up to be good NHLers. Could come to the AHL earlier than expected. Isn't afraid to muck it up, but is primarly a scoring guy; he uses his size well though. Has an underrated shot and a decent set of wheels. Benefited from having bluechipper Matt Carle on the blueline; will have to carry the team himself next year. At the very least, should turn out to be a Niklas Sundstrom like forward. A favorite of mine who has come through.

Marc-Andre Cliche- Good skater who is pretty gritty. Shows good scoring instinct. Relies on his speed a bit too much. Very well-rounded; a very "smart" player. Has great instincts and is always doing the little things on the ice. Smarts isn't everything though, and the jury is out on whether or not he has the skillset to play in the NHL.

Jonathan Quick- Saw him play sparingly, and wasn't really impressed in comparison to other NCAA goalies. Though, he still has three years(?) left in the NCAA, and he should take full advantage of that. If he isn't getting playing time, then he should play in the ECHL. Considering the glut of NHL goalies and very good goalie prospects; he will be hard pressed to find a job somewhere. If he does, whoever drafted him (LA?) will only have him for one or two years before he hits free agency. With goaltenders, you never know, and with enough conditioning, Quick could end up looking like a great pick.

Perttu Lindgren- I haven't seen him in over a year, but he has recieved a LOT of attention on HF boards. He might be the new "in" prospect. My few viewings of him gave me the impression of a solid two-way forward whose offensive strength is playmaking, not the offensive dynamo HFboards touts him as. Possesses above-average smarts necessary for a strong two-way game, but nothing super special. Smallish forward who definitely needs to hit the gym.

Shea Guthrie-All I know about him is that he is known for his strong work ethic. I hope he pans out for NYI, who has had bad luck with drafting and prospects over the past few years.

Marc-Andre Gragnani- A less physical version of Vlasic. While he doesn't have Vlasic's skillset or vision, he is a smart player who understands the transitional game very well. Isn't prone to bone-head maneavors, and he pinches very appropriately. He knows what he can and can not do, which is very important for a player. While he clearly isn't as talented as other prospects, he has mastered the fundamentals very well. Also, he is the definition of a two-way defenseman. Usually, that term is thrown around to describe a defensively capable defenseman who is very good offensively, but Gragnani balances the two very well. Has improved his stock, finishing in the top ten among defensemen in QMJHL scoring. Future as a solid 4/5 defenseman. Could make the jump earlier than expected. A sleeper of mine who has come through.

Patrick McNeill-Raw as raw steak :). One of the top offensive defenseman in the OHL, McNeill tends to has inflated stats because he isn't as defensively responsible as other defenseman. However, he has improved significantly defensively; more time and seasoning should make him defensively competent. Needs to add muscle. Will primarly make his living as an offensive defenseman. One concern of mine is that he doesn't seem to have the innate vision and smarts of other defenseman, just a more polished skillset. Some have said he could eventually play on the top-pairing, but he'll probably make it as a #5-7.

Mathieu Aubin- Huge guy. Can't go wrong with that size. Doesn't have the speed that generally follows the top-end power forwards, though. He's primarly an offensive forward who often looks like tons of other high-scoring CHLers who never make the NHL. Needs to add muscle and start punishing forwards down low. Aubin has carried a team that lost its two top forwards in Alex Bourret and Alexander. He had his best season yet, showing that he can play well if given more opportunity and playing time. Possesses average vision, but he has a good shot. If he works his tail off, he could find a home in the NHL, especially as a third-line grinder. Personally, I don't see him making the NHL.

Tomas Popperle-Nothing really special about him, IMO. There are simply so many other choices out there, that I think Popperle will struggle to find a niche in the NHL. But hey, goaltending is an inexact science, and sometimes a goalie's development skyrockets when he is 27 or 28! Many goalies who are superb in juniors flame out. For a fourth/fifth round pick, not a bad chance by Columbus. One thing for sure though is that if Popperle has potential, he will need a lot of seasoning.

Darren Helm-I'm not sold on this guy as a future NHler. Is decent offensively, but is very small, in both height and weight. He has had time to build muscle, and it is very dissapointing that he hasn't. Has shown little improvement over the past few years. As less-than-average speed and vision. No skill of his really makes him stand out.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
MaDdY said:
I saw Kalus at training camp last year and i was impressed. Im kinda surprised he's not with the big club right now. He can be a good third line center. From what i saw he had good hands and speed.

Is he in Boston's plan ??

Boston doesn't have a plan...

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
superoyyain, I think you're completely off on Aubin. He has very good vision IMO and he's a smooth skater, he has good hands and is mostly a playmaker. I actually don't think his shot is all that impressive actually. His upside is that of a second liner though I agree guys like him tend to never make the NHL.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
superroyain10 said:
T.J. Oshie-Project player. He is a goal-scoring forward who has a very advanced skill set. He has many of the things you "cannot teach" but is severly lacking in many basic areas of the game. Without a doubt, he could effectively use four full years in college to help achieve his top six potential. Concerns about size look to be uneccessary; he plays larger than he is. Having a good first year; could easily bust.
Please elaborate. I saw him three times this year and didn't notice any glaring weaknesses. I also saw everyone else's comments about his play this year in the NCAA and at the WJC's, and for someone who's "severely lacking in many basic areas of the game" he got a hell of a lot of praise.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Leachmeister2000 said:
superoyyain, I think you're completely off on Aubin. He has very good vision IMO and he's a smooth skater, he has good hands and is mostly a playmaker. I actually don't think his shot is all that impressive actually. His upside is that of a second liner though I agree guys like him tend to never make the NHL.

In regards to vision, he may seem good at the QMJHL level, but I think that only translates to average in the NHL. Hes not a bad skater, but most top liners with size have excellent skating.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
superroyain10 said:
Perttu Lindgren- I haven't seen him in over a year, but he has recieved a LOT of attention on HF boards. He might be the new "in" prospect. My few viewings of him gave me the impression of a solid two-way forward whose offensive strength is playmaking, not the offensive dynamo HFboards touts him as. Possesses above-average smarts necessary for a strong two-way game, but nothing super special. Smallish forward who definitely needs to hit the gym.
He's listed at 6', 185 lbs. For comparison, Jussi Jokinen is listed at 5'11, 190 lbs. Size isn't a problem. He just came off an absolutely terrific season for an 18 year old. For comparison, Igor Grigorenko put up similar numbers(albeit in a different league) at the same age, and recieved all sorts of hype. Whatever hype Lindgren is getting(I don't see just a whole lot of it) is definately deserved.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Irish Blues said:
Please elaborate. I saw him three times this year and didn't notice any glaring weaknesses. I also saw everyone else's comments about his play this year in the NCAA and at the WJC's, and for someone who's "severely lacking in many basic areas of the game" he got a hell of a lot of praise.

I'll admit that maybe "severely" was too strong a word, but he is still lacking in areas that a #1 center should be a master of. To better put it, in comparison to his offensive talents, his other skills have ways to go. He excels in the offensive zone and possesses many natural talents, but he could improve his skating some, add muscle for endurance, and improve his smartness in the defensive zone. #1 centers need to have a very solid grasp of the transitional game; good enough to play the penalty kill. He is also learning how to make the smartest decisions with the puck, another essential for a #1 center. And I don't think those qualities are something that develop "in time"; Oshie has to consciously work towards them. At this point in his development, I would have liked to have seen a bit more improvement in those areas. But considering Oshie's work ethic, I'd bet he'll eventually achieve them.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Chaos said:
He's listed at 6', 185 lbs. For comparison, Jussi Jokinen is listed at 5'11, 190 lbs. Size isn't a problem. He just came off an absolutely terrific season for an 18 year old. For comparison, Igor Grigorenko put up similar numbers(albeit in a different league) at the same age, and recieved all sorts of hype. Whatever hype Lindgren is getting(I don't see just a whole lot of it) is definately deserved.

Hmm, he's probably gained some weight since the last time I saw him. I still think he needs to add more muscle (but then again, I pretty much think that about every prospect :)). In regards to the hype, I am sure Lindgren can become a quality NHLer, but HFboards tends to portray these "flavor of the month" prospects as future superstars, which might unfairly augment someone's expectations of Lindgren.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
RSBPC said:
Boston doesn't have a plan...

Not to draw the ire of Boston fans, but Boston better not throw Kalus into the proverbial fire, as they are known for doing. I wouldn't be surprised if Kalus is brought to Boston, promised as a future "savior."

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Abyss said:
T.J. Oshie
Perttu Lindgren
Paul Stastny
Petr Kalus
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Marc-Andre Cliche
Jonathan Quick
Shea Guthrie
Marc-Andre Gragnani