Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
JT Miller
Oscar Lindberg
Danny Kristo
Chris Kreider
Jesper Fast
Marek Hrivek

That is how I see these guys panning out in terms of who will be the better player.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Here's my list, for what its worth. And Rangerboy for the record I also said not to count Miller out by any stretch last week.

Have had Kreider and Miller as 1/2 in my prospect rankings since Hagelin graduated which played into this a bit.

1. Miller - Jumps Kreider. Miller is basically where I though he'd be. Most versatile player on the list, though Lindberg is close. Him at #1 is less of a comment on him, more of a comment on...

2. Kreider - Tough to argue he should stay at #1. Impossible really. I still believe in him being a 20 goal NHLer, it just is going to take some time. Still appears to be overthinking at some times (reading which man to take on the forecheck, thinking about where to go to receive a pass instead of just going there) and not thinking at all at others (flying to the wrong guy/place with no hesitation in the previous scenarios).

3. Lindberg - Very complete player similar to Miller. I could see him deserving of #1 or 2 on this list. He will be an NHLer. Would benefit from time in the AHL on the top line to allow his offense to adjust to the NA sheet.

4. Fast - On pure talent he is #1. So elusive, great feet, and a hard worker. Good around the net. You could see what he can add to a PP in the Philly game. ONLY reason I have him at 4 is because I want to be patient and judge how he physically holds up to the grind of NA pro hockey. Even that knee he took vs Philly...much tougher to maneuver like that on a smaller rink and stay out of harms way. I believe he can do it but I want to see it before moving him up.

5. Hrivik - Not gonna be a world beater, but could be an effective player complementing a scoring line or on a grinding line. Great along the boards. Good skater, good hands. Not really elite at anything, but good at enough.

6. Kristo - 2nd most skilled behind Fast. Great instincts, hands, shot. Needs to learn how to adapt to make the plays he was making in the NCAA at the pro level. Lacks the versatility of a Hrivik, but certainly is more versatile than Christian Thomas.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
You know, if this survey was taken before the game in Edmonton, Miller wouldn't be on top of lists. The human cognition and psyche are so fallible.

He'd be high on some lists, not as high as Fast but some people didn't completely forget about him.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kreider has the 3rd most playoff goals of any player outside of Richards and Callahan in the last two years. The guy can't get on the ice? On a team starving for size and speed,he can't get on the ice? Tortorella said he couldn't be patient with Kreider and Miller last season becaude it was a lockout shortened season. Both of them should be on the team. People complain about the Rangers being a soft team. Miller could be part of the solution there. Its too bad Miller hurt his wrist last seaon. Tortorella said he would have used him down the stretch if Miller was healthy.

Dec 13, 2010
You know, if this survey was taken before the game in Edmonton, Miller wouldn't be on top of lists. The human cognition and psyche are so fallible.

Check back on old threads about the kid, I was disappointed when he was moved down and have been praising him since the draft.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Even better news:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3s

Derek Stepan's deal with NYR is two years with an AAV of $3.075M.

E: Wow, wrong thread!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
At this moment, based on the preseason games and not based on potential, it ranks

Miller
Hrivik
Fast
Kreider
Lindberg
Kristo

I think long-term, it ranks

Kreider
Miller
Lindberg
Fast
Kristo
Hrivik

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
The best thing about this thread is the fact that this type of thread can actually exist.

Granted none of these guys are going to be world beaters, but the fact that this organization has at minimum 6 forwards who look like they can play in a top 9 role is a great step.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Giving Kreider a little more time before I drop him down the list, first full training camp and first real season. We'll see what happens, AV will get more out of him than Torts did. He'll find a place that he fits and use him there, not just demote him and ask him to earn it.

This kid needs to be given an opportunity to find success, he won't be effective on the fourth line. Which flies in the face of what I generally think, last year I was very much in the "he has to earn it" camp. Sometimes you make an exception for a young player, he shouldn't be spoon fed first line minutes, but on a competent 3rd line he might start to improve.

Can we please stop acting like Kreider was stuck on the fourth line all last season? Kreider had ample opportunity for success and had plenty of fine linemates. He did not get it done. The vast majority of the time last season he was not on the fourth line. This is just plain false. So stop blaming his poor performance on this crap.

Approximate Linemate TOI breakdowns:

61 minutes with Brad Richards
59 minutes with Ryan Callahan
58 minutes with JT Miller
54 minutes with Brian Boyle
43 minutes with Taylor Pyatt
29 minutes with Arron Asham
5 minutes with Kris Newbury
2 minutes with Christian Thomas

Who were our fourth line players last year? Rupp, Haley, Powe, Halpern, Newbury, Asham, and occasionally Boyle, Bickel, Gilroy. The vast majority of the time, Kreider was not playing with any of these players. He was on the third line or higher when he was getting minutes and wasn't being put in a checking line role for the most part.

And this doesn't include the 15-20 minutes of PP time he saw. How many fourth liners do you see playing on the PP?

I am hoping just as much as anyone that things click for him this season, but can we please not distort reality?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->