Rank the Teams in the Oilers dynasty.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Pretty simple of those 5 teams that won the cup which was the best both on paper and on the ice. Things to be considered are the team’s playoff performance, regular season performance, level of competition faced and quality of lineup. I think a case can be made for almost each season so I look forward to see how you guys would rank them from 1 to 5:)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, it's a good question! I agree a case can be made for all of them (Ted Green actually thought the '86 team that lost to Calgary was the best of them all). The '87 playoff team -- adding Nilsson and Ruotsalainen -- was probably the best team on paper, but I'm not sure about in reality.

So, my choices are as follows:

1) 1985 - Don't be fooled by the more modest 109-point season and 2nd-overall (to Philly) finish. Before a late-February/March slump (which was more due to indifference than anything else) the team was 43-12-6, and that was with Messier missing 35 games. As soon as the playoffs started, they woke up and went 9-0 to start the postseason, outscoring teams exactly two-to-one. Coffey and Gretzky and Kurri were never better than in this season, including the playoffs where Gretzky was at his pinnacle. Tikkanen even joined in time for a few games in the Finals!

2) 1984 - I don't remember this one as well because I was pretty little, but they trumped the League with a 119-point season, finishing 15 points ahead of their rival, the second-overall Islanders. This, despite going 1-5 in the six games Gretzky missed. Gretzky was completely otherworldly in November '83 to January '84, scoring at the highest pace of any player, ever. Messier's move to center in late season consolidated the second line. Highest-scoring team since the WWI era, and had Anderson got one more point, they'd have had five 100-point scorers.

3 ) 1988 - The team was not the favorite to win this season, and was surpassed in the standings by Calgary. So, I think just by virtue of a good-but-not-overwhelming regular season, this team can't be ranked higher. Also, there is no Coffey, no Moog, no Nilsson, no Ruotsalainen. And yet they went 16-2 in the playoffs, the best record in the four-round era. Given all the off-ice drama over the team (losing Coffey, Moog), Gretzky's missing 16-games, playing the same goaltender in every game, and general team indifference to the regular season, it's actually impressive they did as well as they did, in retrospect. This team could play serious defence for the first time, minus the rover (Coffey), and with Fuhr and Ranford, were incredibly set in net. They had to beat three really good teams and one decent one for the Cup, too, so the 16-2 is all the more amazing (including a 4-0 sweep of the 1st overall Flames).

4) 1987 - As I said, this is the best team on paper. Maybe the most talented offensive line-up ever in the NHL, come playoff time. But performance-wise, they didn't impress quite as much, I think. They dropped game one of the playoffs to L.A., and had to struggle to win games three and four. They lost badly in game one against Detroit, and had to struggle to get through the rest (Gretzky may have been concussed, but put up a measly two assists in the series for his worst playoff production, ever). Then they blew a 3-1 lead against Philly and nearly lost the Cup. Gretzky later said this was the first season in which he was physically drained late in the regular season.

5) 1990 - This one is close to my heart and might be the easiest team to love, but minus Gretzky and Coffey, and following a modest 90-point season, they can't be the best team. But they were really solid and generally under-rated going into the playoffs. They swept aside the Gretzky-Kings and easily took down 1st-overall Boston, despite Ray Bourque at his peak. (This team, of course, also later traded for Brian Leetch and won the '94 Stanley Cup as well. Whoops! Did I say that?)

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Yeah, it's a good question! I agree a case can be made for all of them (Ted Green actually thought the '86 team that lost to Calgary was the best of them all). The '87 playoff team -- adding Nilsson and Ruotsalainen -- was probably the best team on paper, but I'm not sure about in reality.

So, my choices are as follows:

1) 1985 - Don't be fooled by the more modest 109-point season and 2nd-overall (to Philly) finish. Before a late-February/March slump (which was more due to indifference than anything else) the team was 43-12-6, and that was with Messier missing 35 games. As soon as the playoffs started, they woke up and went 9-0 to start the postseason, outscoring teams exactly two-to-one. Coffey and Gretzky and Kurri were never better than in this season, including the playoffs where Gretzky was at his pinnacle. Tikkanen even joined in time for a few games in the Finals!

2) 1984 - I don't remember this one as well because I was pretty little, but they trumped the League with a 119-point season, finishing 15 points ahead of their rival, the second-overall Islanders. This, despite going 1-5 in the six games Gretzky missed. Gretzky was completely otherworldly in November '83 to January '84, scoring at the highest pace of any player, ever. Messier's move to center in late season consolidated the second line. Highest-scoring team since the WWI era, and had Anderson got one more point, they'd have had five 100-point scorers.

3 ) 1988 - The team was not the favorite to win this season, and was surpassed in the standings by Calgary. So, I think just by virtue of a good-but-not-overwhelming regular season, this team can't be ranked higher. Also, there is no Coffey, no Moog, no Nilsson, no Ruotsalainen. And yet they went 16-2 in the playoffs, the best record in the four-round era. Given all the off-ice drama over the team (losing Coffey, Moog), Gretzky's missing 16-games, playing the same goaltender in every game, and general team indifference to the regular season, it's actually impressive they did as well as they did, in retrospect. This team could play serious defence for the first time, minus the rover (Coffey), and with Fuhr and Ranford, were incredibly set in net. They had to beat three really good teams and one decent one for the Cup, too, so the 16-2 is all the more amazing (including a 4-0 sweep of the 1st overall Flames).

4) 1987 - As I said, this is the best team on paper. Maybe the most talented offensive line-up ever in the NHL, come playoff time. But performance-wise, they didn't impress quite as much, I think. They dropped game one of the playoffs to L.A., and had to struggle to win games three and four. They lost badly in game one against Detroit, and had to struggle to get through the rest (Gretzky may have been concussed, but put up a measly two assists in the series for his worst playoff production, ever). Then they blew a 3-1 lead against Philly and nearly lost the Cup. Gretzky later said this was the first season in which he was physically drained late in the regular season.

5) 1990 - This one is close to my heart and might be the easiest team to love, but minus Gretzky and Coffey, and following a modest 90-point season, they can't be the best team. But they were really solid and generally under-rated going into the playoffs. They swept aside the Gretzky-Kings and easily took down 1st-overall Boston, despite Ray Bourque at his peak. (This team, of course, also later traded for Brian Leetch and won the '94 Stanley Cup as well. Whoops! Did I say that?)

That's about where I'd have it, except I'd have the 1984 team higher.

Where would you rank the 1986 team if they had won the Cup? That was arguably their best team in the regular season.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Where would you rank the 1986 team if they had won the Cup? That was arguably their best team in the regular season.
The problem with the '86 team was... Paul Coffey.

It's a strange thing to say when he won the Norris, breaking Bobby Orr's records in the process, and I'm calling him the problem. But as a rover on-ice and a somewhat taciturn personality off-ice, Coffey could be difficult to manage. Late in 1985-86, he was focused on breaking Orr's scoring records, and he and Sather were fighting over his lack of commitment to defense. Coffey "won" in the sense that he did break Orr's records (on the video, you can visibly see his relief and satisfaction in doing it), but then he seemed to have peaked, and he could not get himself back in the right head-space the rest of the season (which, in the end, kind of proved Sather right). He was frequently awful against Calgary in '86, notably in game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad