Rank the super-hyped #1 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

st_roland

How would you rank these super-prospects, in terms of perceived potential prior to them being drafted.

Lemieux
Lindros
Daigle
Thornton
Lecavalier
Stefan
Kovalchuk
Spezza
Nash
Bouwmeester
Ovechkin
Crosby

let me know if I missed any

edit-I know Spezza and Bouwmeester weren't no.1 picks, but they were both heavily hyped before being drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:

kyle

Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
st_roland said:
How would you rank these super-prospects, in terms of perceived potential prior to them being drafted.

Lemieux
Lindros
Daigle
Thornton
Lecavalier
Stefan
Kovalchuk
Spezza
Nash
Bouwmeester
Ovechkin
Crosby

Bouwmeester and Spezza weren't #1 picks.

st_roland said:

Lemieux
Lindros
Daigle
Thornton
Lecavalier
Stefan
Kovalchuk
Spezza
Nash
Bouwmeester
Ovechkin
Crosby

edit-I know Spezza and Bouwmeester weren't no.1 picks, but they were both heavily hyped before being drafted.

Stefan is rather out of place on your list, as there was a lot of support for Brendl and also a decent amount for Daniel Sedin as the top player in the 1999 draft.

Chris Pronger, while he was picked behind Daigle, would have gone first in most other drafts and fits in with the players you named.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
marian gaborik should be there as should luongo, i agree stefan is out of place, he could've gone 1 or 5.. that draft didn't really have a guy or guys people rode on.. the sedin twins were the biggest story

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
kyle said:
Bouwmeester and Spezza weren't #1 picks.

Spezza wasn't, Kovy beat him out fair and square.

Bouwmeister was the true #1 pick. Technically he went 3rd, but that was only because they pulled some bribes to make one else took him when they traded down to 4th. Morally he was the #1 pick, if they hadn't been able to pull of the deals, they would have sayed at #1 and taken him.

Last edited:

ChiTown Flyer

Mar 11, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
me2 said:
Spezza wasn't, Kovy beat him out fair and square.

Bouwmeister was the true #1 pick. Technically he went 4th, but that was only because they pulled some bribes to make one else took him when they traded down to 4th. Morally he was the #1 pick, if they hadn't been able to pull of the deals, they would have sayed at #1 and taken him.

Actually, Bouwmeister went 3rd, behind Lehetonen and before Pitkanen

TVanek26*

Lemiuex
Lindros
Crosby
Lecavalier
Ovechkin
Thornton
Daigle
Spezza
Kovalchuk
Bouwmeester
Stefan

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Doomsday Device said:
Stefan is rather out of place on your list, as there was a lot of support for Brendl and also a decent amount for Daniel Sedin as the top player in the 1999 draft.

Brendl would have been the #1 pick. A deal was done with NYR that they would trade this set package for the Brendl (aka #1 pick). Tampa got sneaky. The lightning then pulled a deal with Van in which Van-Atl wouldn't take Brendl. They extorted a couple of 3rd rnders (iirc) out of Van-Atl too when they went from 1->4 (Van got the 4th overall from Chicago in a trade and had the 3rd overall themselves). Van wanted to move up to get both Sedins, they did they made a deal with Atlanta (trading #1->#2) and making the Sedins off limits too (to this day I don't know why Altanta did it). Sneaky and cunning stuff. NYR got their player, at 4th overall! Tampa got a couple of free 3rds + the Rangers package. Van got both Sedins and a 3rd from Atlanta offseting one of the two they gave Tampa. Atl got Stefan but gave up a 3rd to van for no good reason other than to go first and make a splash.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Mario was extremely hyped, but he proved to be worth it unlike some on that list.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
1- Lindros: was hyped as the can't miss hall-of-famer and as a more physical gretzky
2- Crosby: is hyped as a franchise player and a possible Hall-of-famer
3- Lemieux: was hyped as a future Beliveau and a franchise player !
4- Ovechkin: is hyped as another franchise player, i've heard some comparison with Forsberg but with a better scoring touch !
5- Daigle: was hyped as a franchise player with very nice vision on ice and speed
6- Kovalchuk: was hyped as a future goal-scorer machine, was also described as poor defensively
7- Lecavalier: was hyped as a franchise player with good vision and size !
8- Bouwmeester: was hyped as a future norris trophy winner with good speed and size !
9- Spezza: was hyped as a possible #1 center with good vision on ice but poor skating
10- Thornton: was hyped as a future powerforward with good vision on ice!
11- Stefan: was hyped as the next Nedved if i remember..

Last edited:

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
Lemieux
Lindros
Ovechkin
Kovalchuk
Thornton
Lecavalier
Fleury
Nash
Stefan

Left Crosby off as he's still a year away. Who knows what might happen between now and then. The shine on Ovechkin seems to have come off a little bit. People don't seem to be slobbering over him now quite like they were this time last year. Kept him ahead of Kovalchuk as he's still gotten lots of hype over the last few years. Ilya really only came on strong in terms of hype his draft year. Before that, it was "Spezza this, Spezza that."

I'm surprised Kovalchuk is ranked relatively low on many lists. He was regarded at the time by many as being the best draft prospect since Lindros - better than Thornton or Lecavalier.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Kovalchuk wasn't really that hyped until shortly before the draft. His stock rose very quickly as draft day came but there wasn't years of hype for him, unlike what Ovechkin has been getting for almost 2 years now.

Heck, Spezza was the slam dunk first overall in that draft years before it happened according to most people.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Pachoo said:
Kovalchuk wasn't really that hyped until shortly before the draft. His stock rose very quickly as draft day came but there wasn't years of hype for him, unlike what Ovechkin has been getting for almost 2 years now.

Heck, Spezza was the slam dunk first overall in that draft years before it happened according to most people.
thats how i remember it, also spezza would give reason not to go too crazy about the crosby hype, it wasn't long before the draft spezza was in crosby's position albeit it was good year further from his respective draft then crosby and his hype

Dupuis>Ilya

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Pachoo said:
There was a good full season of hype leading up to Kovalchuk's draft. Red Line Report had him ranked first as the season opened and said he was the sure-fire number one. Feeling on the board was split 50/50 but Kovalchuk was pretty much consensus #1 by the time of the WJCs.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't think I've seen anyone as hyped as Crosby is...every game he goes to is sold out...he's racked up a ton of QMJHL awards this year. He IS the QJMHL..without him they're not quite the same league.

Spezza is gonna have an awesome career and he's just now starting to get it going with his improved skating. Crosby imo will be the closest thing to Gretzky we'll see.

st_roland

Kryoptix said:
Lecavalier was a considered the Michael Jordan of hockey ! :banana: :eek:

Yeah, but thats only a direct quote from the idiot TB Owner at the time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Crosby - hype began as midget player, U.S. highschool success, now out of world Junior season. Deemed Gretzky record threat ... from the Great One himself.
Lindros - the Next One, bidding war and traded for five players.
Lemieux - revered as next great French player and delivered.
Kovalchuk - Russian hotdog irked Cdn Juniors, electrified fans with skill & cockiness
Spezza - star status at 15, junior and international success at 16
Bouwmeester - Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey comparisons, Cdn Nat at 16, NHL at 18
Thornton - junior force and sure fire #1, soft rookie year at 18 and now emerging
Lecavalier - Never let stupid people buy hockey teams. Quality kid overhyped by dummy who bought a hockey team on a lark.
Daigle - "hey, how about a photo of you in a nurses outfit?' Frat prank gone bad or poor judgement by an overhyped, lazy kid with great natural skills?
Ovechkin - tagged 'franchise' at 16 but hype has cooled somewhat.
Nash - hyped big by Mr. Hyperboly Doug Maclean and rightly so.
Stefan - "For the first pick in Thrasher's history, Atlanta is proud to select" ... think you will ever have this statement repeated by theThrasher braintrust???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->