Rank the Oilers coaches post MacT

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The thing that puts Tippett over the top for me is the success and development of Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Bear, McLeod, etc. We'd grown a bit stagnant in that regard under McLellan, and Tippett (and Holland of course) have handled it close to perfectly.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Don't forget that Tippet is also the beneficiary of the best GM we've had in the last 20 years, not to mention the maturation of 2 of the best players (and a couple others) we've had since the Gretzky days.
This. I’m super surprised Mclellan didn’t get more love, I would argue that the 2017 team was much better coached then this years team. It’s not his fault Chia tore down the team in the offseason and essentially the entire roster a year later.
Renney was also a good coach, he was just given an awful roster.

Nelson should have never been fired, he got a lot out of a bad roster. I’m amazed he’s never been given an NHL shot at head again, his name has surfaced a tonne. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the stars, till this season, have fared better with him as an assistant. He should have got the Red wings job over Blashill. He went 17-22-7 with the Oilers horrible roster, most young guys played great under him. Eakins went 9-17-5 with the same roster.

I would go

Mclellan
Nelson
Tippett
Renney
Kruger
Hitchcock
Quinn, great coach he was just done here, Whitney told some funny stories on his podcast about how done Quinn was

A thousand meters of ****

Eakins, he’s by far one of if not the worst NHL coach in his stint here

I’ll get dragged for putting Tippett third, but he’s been reliant on 2 superstar talents and world class special teams, which are usually the assistants. His structure has been solid defensively, but offensively he hasn’t really boosted anyone on our roster either.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Should there ever be a doubt. He's now twice taken a bad team and actively made them worse. The only shame is that I actually didn't mind his press conferences, but he simply can not coach at this level. Ever.

upload_2021-5-12_12-36-43.png

upload_2021-5-12_12-38-25.png

upload_2021-5-12_12-38-51.png

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
Post -Sather Rankings

1) McTavish - Dude took the Oilers to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Best thing to happen to the Oilers. Don’t care if this asks post-Mac T. Craig deserves his props.

2) McLellan - Game 7 of round 2. Awful at adjusting (his used his blender too much), but he didn’t have much to work with. Not his fault. The lack of success during his tenure is on Chia.

3) Tippet - Best regular season coach. The rest is TBD.

The rest - irrelevant.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Post -Sather Rankings

1) McTavish - Dude took the Oilers to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Best thing to happen to the Oilers. Don’t care if this asks post-Mac T. Craig deserves his props.

2) McLellan - Game 7 of round 2. Awful at adjusting (his used his blender too much), but he didn’t have much to work with. Not his fault. The lack of success during his tenure is on Chia.

3) Tippet - Best regular season coach. The rest is TBD.

The rest - irrelevant.

You have to at least make the distinction about who is last as there can never be any doubt. And no it's not Burnett.

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
You have to at least make the distinction about who is last as there can never be any doubt. And no it's not Burnett.
Dallas “Swarm!-&-The-Perfect-Game-Means-No-Hitz” Eakins (Ridiculously pronounced Ay-Kins - Say it right or I’m taking your doughnuts away)

Reactions: bone

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m shocked Mclellan is as high on the list as most here have him second. I get that there isn’t much competition on that list but there are a few who have accomplished more in their careers with less.

Terribly over-rated coach who only goes as far as the talent on his roster is able to carry him. This guy gets out coached by everyone he comes up against. Before his arrival here in Edmonton I wondered why his Sharks teams underachieved. It didn’t take long to figure out why.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The thing that puts Tippett over the top for me is the success and development of Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Bear, McLeod, etc. We'd grown a bit stagnant in that regard under McLellan, and Tippett (and Holland of course) have handled it close to perfectly.
Let’s not forget either that while Mclellan was here we were ready to run Jay Woodcroft out of town. Woodcroft has done a phenomenal job in Bakersfield with the prospects ever since and legitimately looks like he will be an NHL head coaching candidate at some point.

Reactions: RattsSSV and ujju2

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Don't forget that Tippet is also the beneficiary of the best GM we've had in the last 20 years, not to mention the maturation of 2 of the best players (and a couple others) we've had since the Gretzky days.
so we blame the coaches when the players suck and don't give coaches credit when the player do well? You could argue that Holland really hasn't done anything yet in regards to putting his mark on the team

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
so we blame the coaches when the players suck and don't give coaches credit when the player do well? You could argue that Holland really hasn't done anything yet in regards to putting his mark on the team
It's hard to pin down who's down the great job since there are so many connected pieces. As to Holland not doing anything to put his mark on, I'm not sure how you can even suggest that. Inheriting a colossal cap mess that Chiarelli left him, put him behind the starting blocks several metres. His patience and handling of Puljo was massive, as well as his patented leaving the kids to mature till ready, and instead, filling in the spots with cheap vets from N.A and Europe to tide us over has helped immensely and we are now seeing the fruits of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: rboomercat90

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Let’s not forget either that while Mclellan was here we were ready to run Jay Woodcroft out of town. Woodcroft has done a phenomenal job in Bakersfield with the prospects ever since and legitimately looks like he will be an NHL head coaching candidate at some point.
I remember that. So many posters ready to run him out of town with pitchforks and torches along with TM. Now, he's like a god down on the farm.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I personally thought that McLellan was below average . I think there was a huge disconnect between him and Chiarelli which didn’t help. I can see why people have him second but I think its more of a detriment on the other coaches.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I’m shocked Mclellan is as high on the list as most here have him second. I get that there isn’t much competition on that list but there are a few who have accomplished more in their careers with less.

Terribly over-rated coach who only goes as far as the talent on his roster is able to carry him. This guy gets out coached by everyone he comes up against. Before his arrival here in Edmonton I wondered why his Sharks teams underachieved. It didn’t take long to figure out why.
I mean this pretty much describes the current coach too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->