Rank the Oilers coaches post MacT

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Did a similar thread on the Sens board a year or so ago

Wondering how you would rank the guys who have come through here since 09?

My own list from best to worst

1.Tippett
2.McLellan
3.Renney
4.Hitchcock
5.Krueger
6.Nelson
6.Quinn (RIP)
7. Eakins

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1.Tippett -- Has gotten more out of our goaltending than most could have hoped for. Young d-men have come along well. Has made good 2 way players out of many forwards lacking in offensive upside.
2.McLellan -- Similar to Tippet. Wouldn't stop turning on the blender with the lines whenever the team went 5 minutes without playing well.
3.Hitchcock -- Brought a lot of knowledge and experience to the club. Knew what it takes for a team to win and tried to mold players into better versions of themselves. If he was a lot younger he might have pulled it off.
4 / 5 tie Krueger - Nelson -- They got along well with the players and let the players play within their comfort zone at while they were here it's really what the players needed because the previous coaches took all of the fun out of the game while dragging the team through some of the most embarrassing seasons during our decade of shame.
6 / 7 tie Renney/ Quinn (RIP) -- Didn't really do a whole lot of anything, but our team was in such horrible shape that there wasn't a whole lot they could do.
8. Eakins -- Literally the f***ing antichrist. I still don't understand why the media wasn't laughing at our team before Eakins' first game. His whole platform as a coach was based around team fitness. That's great. Might have worked in the 70's. The closest thing this bum had to an on ice strategy was to have literally everyone jump in front of the net when the puck was scrambling around the blue paint. Looked like they gave the director of Police Academy the coaching position. After leaving the Oilers, nobody he coached had become a better player than they were before. Complete f***ing disgrace.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
1. Tippett
2. McLellan
3. Renney - dumping him because he wasn't playing the kids enough was a terrible decision
4. Nelson
5. Krueger
6. Hitchcock
7. Quinn
8. MacTavish - ridiculous five-game buffer after firing Eakins
9. Eakins

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ended up with same list as Del Preston

1. Tippett - Players respect him and he seems to be able to adapt the best of any of the coaches we've had in the Lowe POHO/Chairman age
2. McLellan - Players liked him for the most part. Huge blind spot with some players, seemed to irrationally dislike some players. Set in his ways, not good at adapting. Got this high on the list because of how bad the rest of the group is.
3. Renney - Great guy, not that strong of a coach. Like that he tried to protect the kids, but there wasn't really that much there.
4. Nelson - Great guy, I think he will be an NHL coach one day, but didn't have the experience he needed to go long term when he coached our team.
5. Krueger - Players loved him, excellent special teams coach. Seems he never quite figured out the 5v5 thing. Great tournament coach where he can motivate guys to give their all for a period of time.
6. Hitchcock - Way past his prime here. His excitement about getting Petrovic and Manning because he wanted "cycle stoppers" will always be hilarious to me.
7. Quinn - RIP. Was way past his prime too.
8. MacTavish acting as training wheels for Nelson - lol, copied from Del Preston, forgot to add this
9. Eakins - just...so...bad... Right from day one when he took away Terry's donuts. I know, Terry didn't need them, and maybe Eakins was actually helping him greatly. Just the fact Eakins went out of the way to do that though...such a clear sign of what was to come.

Reactions: Del Preston

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm a bit too young to remember Quinn so I'll list Kenney onwards.

Tippett
McLellan
Nelson
Krueger/Renney
Hitchcock
Eakins

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
1.Tippett
2.McLellan
3. Nelson
4.Renney

Shit.Hitchcock
Shittier.Krueger
Shittiest. Quinn (RIP)
Infinite Shit. Eakins

By far the worst coach -
Always thought he was the Smartest Shit in the Room. Hired Infinite Shit. Fired Shittier via Skype. Thought Nelson (who was a better coach than him) needed training wheels as oogba said. MacTavish is by far the worst thing that happened to the Oilers other than Kevin Lowe being in a position of power for 15 years. Rode Pisani and Roloson and Pronger who was the best defenceman in the league - and any idiot can coach a trap come playoff time.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
1.Tippett
2.McLellan
3. Nelson
4.Renney

Shit.Hitchcock
Shittier.Krueger
Shittiest. Quinn (RIP)
Infinite Shit. Eakins

By far the worst coach -
Always thought he was the Smartest Shit in the Room. Hired Infinite Shit. Fired Shittier via Skype. Thought Nelson (who was a better coach than him) needed training wheels as oogba said. MacTavish is by far the worst thing that happened to the Oilers other than Kevin Lowe being in a position of power for 15 years. Rode Pisani and Roloson and Pronger who was the best defenceman in the league - and any idiot can coach a trap come playoff time.

MacT as a GM was poor, but he's far from the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise. Chiarelli, Eakins, Lowe, all far worse than MacT (especially since. he was also a decent coach).

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Eakins #1 because he helped us get McDavid

Gotta give Nelson honorable mention. He pulled our players out of a deep depression from their Eakins time. Eakins would have tanked us to getting Strome or Hanafin if the lottery worked out the same and we ended up 2nd last. Assuming even Eakins couldn't have beat the intentional tank of the Sabres where they were banishing goalies for daring to make a save.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gotta give Nelson honorable mention. He pulled our players out of a deep depression from their Eakins time. Eakins would have tanked us to getting Strome or Hanafin if the lottery worked out the same and we ended up 2nd last. Assuming even Eakins couldn't have beat the intentional tank of the Sabres where they were banishing goalies for daring to make a save.
It was a perfect storm. :)

Reactions: oobga

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
1) Tippett
2) McLellan
3) Renney
4) Hitchcock
5) Quinn
743rd) Eakins

DNR: Krueger, Nelson. Not a big enough sample.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
McLellan is top until Tippett gets us past game 7, round 2 IMO.

Both guys frustrate me so the guy with the most playoff success so far has the mantle.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
MacT as a GM was poor, but he's far from the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise. Chiarelli, Eakins, Lowe, all far worse than MacT (especially since. he was also a decent coach).

MacT and Lowe are the architects of the Decade - repeat Decade - of Darkness. MacT and Lowe are the 2 worst things to happen to the Oilers since Peter Pocklington failed to turn his taxes in on time and I will debate that to my death.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Ended up with same list as Del Preston

1. Tippett - Players respect him and he seems to be able to adapt the best of any of the coaches we've had in the Lowe POHO/Chairman age
2. McLellan - Players liked him for the most part. Huge blind spot with some players, seemed to irrationally dislike some players. Set in his ways, not good at adapting. Got this high on the list because of how bad the rest of the group is.
3. Renney - Great guy, not that strong of a coach. Like that he tried to protect the kids, but there wasn't really that much there.
4. Nelson - Great guy, I think he will be an NHL coach one day, but didn't have the experience he needed to go long term when he coached our team.
5. Krueger - Players loved him, excellent special teams coach. Seems he never quite figured out the 5v5 thing. Great tournament coach where he can motivate guys to give their all for a period of time.
6. Hitchcock - Way past his prime here. His excitement about getting Petrovic and Manning because he wanted "cycle stoppers" will always be hilarious to me.
7. Quinn - RIP. Was way past his prime too.
8. MacTavish acting as training wheels for Nelson - lol, copied from Del Preston, forgot to add this
9. Eakins - just...so...bad... Right from day one when he took away Terry's donuts. I know, Terry didn't need them, and maybe Eakins was actually helping him greatly. Just the fact Eakins went out of the way to do that though...such a clear sign of what was to come.
This is about what id have. I think Quinn and Hitch had large impacts on our youngsters at either time but didn't evolve with the game.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
One of the biggest knocks against McLellan as I recall was that he never line matched and just rolled lines every single game.

I do think he was scapegoated quite a bit by the fanbase though and a lot of our anger was misdirected at him even though Chiarelli was the one slowly working those cuts up to a thousand.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Tippett
McLellan (not his fault Chiarelli gutted his team)
Renney
Nelson
Kruger (his tenure was short enough to make it seem almost passable)
Hitchcock
McTavish training Nelson (travesty of a series)
Quinn (RIP)
Surely there's been a time where a coach took a puck to the eye or accidentally left the bench to take a deuce or something
Eakins

The fact that someone saw Dallas Eakins' tenure in Edmonton and said, yeah, I'll hire him, is shocking.
The fact that franchise is Anaheim turns my shock into abject happiness

Reactions: SwedishFire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad