Rank the Mario Kart games

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Power slides were broken for Double Dash, but still.

I only played 64, GBA, Double Dash and Wii regularly. I never played 7 or DS. I was too young to remember Super, but I know I did play it. I've played 8 once.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
MK Wii being severely underrated here

Huge assortment of characters, tons of unlockables, actual online play for the first time, first game to have motorcycles I believe, fun control system (I loved the wheel)

I'll only list the ones I have...

MKDD - great concept with two racers and unique items. soooo many memories playing this game with my brother
MK Wii - reasons I listed above
MK64 - classic... not else much to say
MK 8 - great gameplay, but the lack of unlockables kills me. still fun to play with friends but not much reason to play on your own

Just a further note on MK8... Nintendo seems like its really watering down its games knowing that kids will be playing them. No unlockable characters or maps in MK8, no unlockable maps in the new Smash game and the characters you unlock are just at random and not for anything actually challenging. This combined with the lack of a universal achievement system (like Xbox or like trophies on PS4) just make the games feel pointless sometimes. Unlocking random wheels or gliders in MK8 is really crappy motivation, and again it annoys me that you just unlock them by seemingly picking up coins during races, not having to do challenges like beat all circuits on 200CC or something like that

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Out of what I've played:

Wii (first Nintendo game I played where the online play worked well)
Super Mario Kart
Super Circuit

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
This is a hard pick. If we are to exclude the arcade cabinet games (which would be the basement tier if let in) the lowest tier would be Super Mario Kart and Super Circut. Pretty evident Mario Kart on its best is in true 3D rather then the affect that can be generated that is looks 3D but truly is not. My least favorite out of the games not mentioned yet is 7, it had some of the weaker track design and ruined some Wii classics. While all the previous games are good these next ones are great. My full rankings are:
Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe)
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart 7
Mario Kart Super Circut
Super Mario Kart

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I feel like DS isn't being talked about enough. Something great about it is that it actually had a fleshed out single player mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad