Rank the following players: Josh Donaldson, Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnaciom, and Troy Tulowitzki

Who's the best/greatest among the four?

• Total voters

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
The big 4 on the 2015/16 Blue Jays, and four very talented players in their generation.

Josh Donaldson's resume:
- 2015 MVP
- 2x Silver Slugger
- 3x All-Star
- 2015 Hank Aaron Award
- 2015 RBI Leader
- MVP Voting: 1, 4, 4, 8, 11

Career Stats: .273 AVG, 219 HRs, 645 RBIs, 1048 H, 652 R, .878 OPS, 136 OPS+, 41 WAR, +32 DRS

Current Age: 34 years, 7 months
Current Team: Minnesota Twins

Jose Bautista's resume:
- 3x Silver Slugger
- 2x Hank Aaron Award
- 2x Home Run Leader
- 6x All-Star
- GOAT Batflip ;)
- MVP Voting: 3, 4, 6, 8

Career Stats: .247 AVG, 344 HRs, 975 RBIs, 1496 H, 1022 R, .836 OPS, 124 OPS+, 37 WAR, -12 DRS

Current Age: 39 years, 8 months
Current Team: Free Agent (unofficially retired)

Edwin Encarnacion's resume:
- 3x All Star
- 2016 AL RBI Leader
- 2013 WBC Gold Medalist + All-Tournament Team
- MVP Voting: 11, 12, 14, 14, 20

Career Stats: .263 AVG, 414 HRs, 1242 RBIs, 1807 H, 1080 R, .851 OPS, 125 OPS+, 36 WAR, -71 DRS

Current Age: 37 years, 5 months
Current Team: Chicago White Sox

Troy Tulowitzki's resume:
- 5x All-Star
- 2x Gold Glover
- 2x Silver Slugger
- MVP Voting: 5, 5, 8, 17, 18, 25

Career Stats: .290 AVG, 225 HRs, 780 RBIs, 1391 H, 762 R, .856 OPS, 118 OPS+, 44.5 WAR, +99 DRS

Current Age: 35 years, 8 months
Current Team: Retired

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
This is a lot harder to rank than I initially thought but the one thing I can say is Tulo is 100% the "best" player out of the four but he just couldn't stay on the field if his life depended on it.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Donaldson
Bautista
Tulowitzki
Encarnacion
This is probably the correct order. Donaldson reached the pinnacle by winning MVP and is a better overall player than Bats. Love EE but he probably comes in last among these four.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
There's arguments to be made for peak and prime. Tulo and Joey Bats are pretty close on both but Tulo had a better, longer resume so I would put rank him above even though Bautista probably had a higher peak with the best top season.

JD absolutely has the peak. He won the MVP and absolutely was deserving in that and has a really great 2-4 year span. Injuries have hurt a bit but his overall production has still been very good since becoming a star with the A's.

EE is easily at the bottom despite his impressive consistency and counting stats. He mashed but that's about it. All of the other guys added value in various ways when they weren't hitting HR.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
who’s making it a big deal? Just a question to pass the time it would seem

Eh, I mean I get that this being a hockey board, any Blue Jay thread (and Raptors thread in the basketball section) will appeal to the massive Canadian crowd here. These players didn't win anything. They didn't even reach the World Series. None of them were homegrown players. I mean, Tulowitzki? He was a shell of his former self when he got to Toronto.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Eh, I mean I get that this being a hockey board, any Blue Jay thread (and Raptors thread in the basketball section) will appeal to the massive Canadian crowd here. These players didn't win anything. They didn't even reach the World Series. None of them were homegrown players. I mean, Tulowitzki? He was a shell of his former self when he got to Toronto.

Sure... but we’re just ranking some players. If anything we should have more threads on the baseball forum. Not less. Feel free to post some other player ranking polls. Would be great to have one for every team

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Donaldson won the MVP and had a couple seasons where he was in the conversation. His peak is easily better than the rest.

I think I'd probably be inclined to agree with the below:

Donaldson
Bautista
Tulowitzki
Encarnacion

However Tulo could slot in ahead of Joey Bats depending on how you look at it or how I feel.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Ichiro, Griffey Jr, Tony Gwynn, and Sammy Sosa never won a World Series title either yet they’re still ATGs. Mike Trout has been the best player on earth since his first full season yet he hasn’t even won a game in the playoffs.

Team achievements means little to nothing when rating an individual baseball player.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
However Tulo could slot in ahead of Joey Bats depending on how you look at it or how I feel.
Tulo and Bautista is an interesting one. Tulo is on another stratosphere when it comes to fielding and he hits for a much higher average although Bautista hits for more power and can get on base a lot.

Bautista had a slightly higher peak imo although I don’t think we ever got to truly see peak Tulo due to all those injuries.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sucks that injuries killed Tulo's career.

At the start he was looking like a surefire bet to finish as one of the best SS's ever. 2007 was just the beginning.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, having thought about this more I think it's pretty clearly this.

1. JD
2a Bautista
2b Tulo
4. EE

Joey Bats and Tulo are interchangeable depending on peak vs. longevity. Although they both have arguments for both. Joey Bats had the higher peak and a great 'prime' but that's all he has. Tulo has a longer better track record which is weird because Tulo and longevity don't often go hand in hand but he was soo good right out of the gate and put together a super impressive half career.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
It's been so long since MLB free agency and he has bounced around quite a bit recently, I completely forgot EE was on the White Sox.

anyways

Tulowitzki > Donaldson > Bautista > Encarnacion

Bautista plays RF or DH, and EE sits on his butt or plays 1b every blue moon.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It's been so long since MLB free agency and he has bounced around quite a bit recently, I completely forgot EE was on the White Sox.

anyways

Tulowitzki > Donaldson > Bautista > Encarnacion

Bautista plays RF or DH, and EE sits on his butt or plays 1b every blue moon.
I'd probably put Donaldson ahead of Tulo simply due to his peak level being so high.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Depends on what you mean by best.

I think Tulo had the greatest peak, but if I had to pick one for his entire career, he would probably be dead last on my list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad