East 14 - 4 - 1 - 0
North 0 - 6 - 3 - 9
Cent 4 - 6 - 4 - 2
West 0 - 5 - 5 - 8

I know the numbers don't add up.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
In a recent Athletic article, an anonymous player had this to say in reference to the Canadian Division:

"Guess what? I don’t think any of the teams in the Canadian division are good. Any of them. They have no defense. How the f*** can they win the Stanley Cup when they play no defense?… "

Didn't know where to post it so I just bumped this thread - it's where most of the North division bashing went.

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
Taking a quantitative approach, 6 of the top 9 teams in overall standings (it matters, as it decides the draft position) are coming from the West and the Central, 2 from the East and only Toronto from the North. The best 2 teams are from the West. Consequently:
West
Central
East
North

Reactions: Tweaky

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Taking a quantitative approach, 6 of the top 9 teams in overall standings (it matters, as it decides the draft position) are coming from the West and the Central, 2 from the East and only Toronto from the North. The best 2 teams are from the West. Consequently:
West
Central
East
North
Cutting off at nine is interesting. Any particular reason?

Since there are four divisions, wouldn't 12 or 16 make more sense?

In the top 12, 4 are from the East, 3 each from the West and Central, and 2 from the North.

In the top 16 (the number of teams that make the playoffs), 6 are from the East, 4 from the Central, 3 from the West, and 3 from the North.

So the obvious order is:
East
Central
West
North

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
You can't really look at the total points of teams and rank them that way this year. There is only a finite amount of points to be handed out within each division. If there's a couple of teams with high point totals (Vegas, Colorado, Minny), it means there's obviously a major lack of points at the bottom of the same division.

While I still think the West is the worst division because of how bad the bottom of the division is, we're all guessing here. Do you put more weight on the good teams in a division, or the bad teams? Is a division better because it has a team like Colorado, or is it worse because it has a team like Anaheim? The million dollar question.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
What worked out well was actually how balanced the divisions turned out to be thanks to pure luck basically. 5 years ago, things would have been far more difficult to figure out geographically.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In a recent Athletic article, an anonymous player had this to say in reference to the Canadian Division:

"Guess what? I don’t think any of the teams in the Canadian division are good. Any of them. They have no defense. How the f*** can they win the Stanley Cup when they play no defense?… "

Didn't know where to post it so I just bumped this thread - it's where most of the North division bashing went.
Very similar things were said about the Oilers in the early 80's.

Reactions: Canadienna

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Cutting off at nine is interesting. Any particular reason?

Since there are four divisions, wouldn't 12 or 16 make more sense?

In the top 12, 4 are from the East, 3 each from the West and Central, and 2 from the North.

In the top 16 (the number of teams that make the playoffs), 6 are from the East, 4 from the Central, 3 from the West, and 3 from the North.

So the obvious order is:
East
Central
West
North

This is exactly how it should be looked at. "Best division" isn't just the division with the best top team or best top two teams. It's the division that has the most number of "good" teams.

The fact that Boston and the Isles are the #3/4 seed in the East speaks volumes for how deep that division is, and the fact the Rangers and Flyers have more points than pretty much most/all non-playoff teams in the other divisions just adds to that.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I would say
Islanders>Blues>Predators>Canadiens
Rangers>Stars>Flames>Coyotes

To summarize East>Central>West>North in terms of difficulty of making playoffs.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Not sure how anyone has the North ahead of the west? Colorado, St. Louis, and Vegas are all better than any of the Canadian teams

Based on what? They haven't played each other this season.

IMO, all divisions are fairly similar - you have 2-3 top teams and then the rest.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
You can't really look at the total points of teams and rank them that way this year. There is only a finite amount of points to be handed out within each division. If there's a couple of teams with high point totals (Vegas, Colorado, Minny), it means there's obviously a major lack of points at the bottom of the same division.

While I still think the West is the worst division because of how bad the bottom of the division is, we're all guessing here. Do you put more weight on the good teams in a division, or the bad teams? Is a division better because it has a team like Colorado, or is it worse because it has a team like Anaheim? The million dollar question.

I think you default to the better teams, which is why I rank the West over the North.

If you compare the playoff teams in each division, I think the West's four >> North's four. Montreal is the worst team in the playoffs and Winnipeg might be the second worst. At the top end, I'd take Colorado and Vegas over Toronto and Edmonton. Every division has poor teams at the bottom. Ranking the North above the West because you think Anaheim/LA are worse than Ottawa/Vancouver doesn't make much sense to me.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008

It's hilarious that players have the same opinion of the North that all non-TML/Oilers fans have

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's hilarious that players have the same opinion of the North that all non-TML/Oilers fans have

Player, singular.

Also, it is hilarious how Toronto was on pace for over 100pts last season after the coaching change, which would have landed them in 7th, ahead of Pit, Vgk, Car, Dal, they must have ungodly offense if they can make up for having no defense.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
West
Central
East
North

Flawed model here bud. Top teams from one division would imply also worst teams in that division and thus easier to make playoffs.

Flawed metric in this case.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->