Rank the divisions

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am claiming Pittsburgh is very based due to lack of depth and their aging core. And the results are currently based on 2021 not there.
I am not sure what you mean by Pittsburg is very based. The sentence does not make grammatical sense? The reason I used a 3 year sampling is it is recent, it is a good sample size, and it covers 3 season including this year. Some teams are playing in weak divisions, others like Pittsburg are playing in tough divisions. This year will slant records. If Pittsburg was playing in the North rather than the East. They would likely be at the top of the division. I am sure they would not be terrible as the word you used to describe them. Despite playing in the East, they are no where near the bottom of the league, not sure where you see them as being terrible as an accurate descriptor for them. A 31st place team is terrible. Is Pittsburg 31st?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Looking at this post, it's good to know to take nothing you say seriously going forward.

There is 1 goalie from the North (Hellebuyck) in the top 15 for SV% so far this year (minimum 10 games). There are 4 goalies from the North (Hogberg, Price, Murray and Holtby) in the bottom 6 in SV%.

What part of what I said is wrong, exactly? Or do you think that's somehow better than the other 3 divisions, who all have multiple goalies in the top 10?

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The East is the deepest and toughest division. One team from Philadelphia, Washington, NY Isles, Pittsburg, or Boston will not make the playoffs this year.

Pittsburgh doesn't belong in the playoffs and they are probably gonna be the ones to miss. They're awful and can thank OT/Shootout points.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I am not sure what you mean by Pittsburg is very based. The sentence does not make grammatical sense? The reason I used 3 years, is because this season, some teams are playing in weak divisions, others like Pittsburg are playing in tough divisions. This year will slant records. If Pittsburg was playing in the North rather than the East. They would likely be at the top of the division. I am sure they would not be terrible as the word you used to describe them. Despite playing in the East, they are no where near the bottom of the league, not sure where you see them as being terrible as an accurate descriptor for them. A 31st place team is terrible. Is Pittsburg 31st?

Ludicrous. They wouldn't make the playoffs in the North.
You don't seem to be able to remove yourself from how good Pittsbugh use to be. It's 2021. They were clearly om a downswing last year.
They are no longer even close to Toronto. Not in forwards, depth, D or goaltending.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pittsburgh doesn't belong in the playoffs and they are probably gonna be the ones to miss. They're awful and can thank OT/Shootout points.
They don't play against teams in the North. I will grant you this.
Ludicrous. They wouldn't make the playoffs in the North.
You don't seem to be able to remove yourself from how good Pittsbugh use to be. It's 2021. They were clearly om a downswing last year.
They are no longer even close to Toronto. Not in forwards, depth, D or goaltending.
Pittsburg wouldn't make the playoffs in the North? Good to know where your opinion is coming from.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

Pittsburg wouldn't make the playoffs in the North?

Nope. Not at all.

You are essentially saying you think the Pens would have the NHls best record if they were in the North. Are you watching them ? Leafs would kill them.

I'm well aware of what the Pens did years ago. Not relevant now. 4 regulation wins.

Not sure why so many go back to past accomplishments with different rosters in judging teams.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
East is the toughest, and that's an easy one to conclude.

The other groups are all pretty even.

Like Chicago is going to make the playoffs in the Central lol...Nashville and Detroit have been horrible this year, and Dallas has taken a huge step back for some reason.

In the West, they have really good teams like the Knights. St.Louis and Colorado, but they have 3 awful teams in San Jose, Ducks and Coyotes, and a team like the Kings is still well in the hunt for a playoff spot...

North Division has two awful teams in Vancouver and Ottawa, but Toronto would be a lock in any division and Oilers and Jets will would be fighting for a spot in any division.

Reactions: Neil Racki

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nope. Not at all.

You are essentially saying you think the Pens would have the NHls best record if they were in the North. Are you watching them ? Leafs would kill them.

I'm well aware of what the Pens did years ago. Not relevant now. 4 regulation wins.

Not sure why so many go back to past accomplishments with different rosters in judging teams.
If you bother reading my replies, then you wouldn't ask. This season is this is not a normal season. Why would you focus on 20 games, against select competition, rather than include 2 seasons of recent play against all teams with a larger sample? You like smaller and select samples of playing 6 teams? Still good to know you think Pittsburg would not make the playoffs in the North according to your opinion. I will let others discuss this with you.

I am not sure what you mean by Pittsburg is very based. The sentence does not make grammatical sense? The reason I used a 3 year sampling is it is recent, it is a good sample size, and it covers 3 season including this year. Some teams are playing in weak divisions, others like Pittsburg are playing in tough divisions. This year will slant records. If Pittsburg was playing in the North rather than the East. They would likely be at the top of the division. I am sure they would not be terrible as the word you used to describe them. Despite playing in the East, they are no where near the bottom of the league, not sure where you see them as being terrible as an accurate descriptor for them. A 31st place team is terrible. Is Pittsburg 31st?

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Pittsburg wouldn't make the playoffs in the North? Good to know where your opinion is coming from.

Much easier to play against Buffalo, NYR and NJ than it is to play in the North. All three are comparable to Ottawa.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Anyone pushing Pittsburgh as a top/good team at this point, really has no clue what they're talking about.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
East - Boston and a bunch of solid teams
Central - TB, Dallas (both of last year finalist), Carolina and Fla looking really good. Chicago retool seems to be faster than expected.
West - Slt, Vegas, and Col are contenders and then there is the pooh running down their legs.
North- no cup contenders. Those teams would be lucky to make it out of first round in other divisions.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Not sure how anyone has the North ahead of the west? Colorado, St. Louis, and Vegas are all better than any of the Canadian teams
Leafs split the 2 games with each of these teams last year despite an injury laden roster and got better this year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Anyone pushing Pittsburgh as a top/good team at this point, really has no clue what they're talking about.
Do you mean in a particular division or the NHL in general? They would be no worse than 2nd in the North, maybe first. This would qualify them as a top team if they were in the North. I have no idea what you are talking about with such a generic statement. Maybe clarify. Where would Pittsburg be playing in the North? I would hope you would have them ahead of the majority of teams in the division or do you have them missing the playoffs also as the poster in this thread stated.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
If you bother reading my replies, then you wouldn't ask. This season is this is not a normal season. Why would you focus on 20 games, against select competition, rather than include 2 seasons of recent play against all teams with a larger sample? You like smaller and select samples of playing 6 teams? Still good to know you think Pittsburg would not make the playoffs in the North according to your opinion. I will let others discuss this with you.

Maybe Spatso, I simply disagree with your point, like many do on here? You clearly can't move past Pens winning 3 cups and Crosby and Malkin to grasp their roster is really bad and will still look so next next year if they are in an "Easier" division.

So your explanation here is, this Year is unique, so it makes more sense to go by data in past years with different rosters...That's ridiculous.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe Spatso, I simply disagree with your point, like many do on here? You clearly can't move past Pens winning 3 cups and Crosby and Malkin to grasp their roster is really bad and will still look next next year if they are in an "Easier" division.

So your explanation here is, this Year is unique, so it makes more sense to go by data in past years with different rosters...That's ridiculous.
You also think Pittsburg would not make the playoffs in the weakest division the North. I am glad I disagree with you.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Do you mean in a particular division or the NHL in general? They would be no worse than 2nd in the North, maybe first. This would qualify them as a top team if they were in the North. I have no idea what you are talking about with such a generic statement. Maybe clarify. Where would Pittsburg be playing in the North? I would hope you would have them ahead of the majority of teams in the division or do you have them missing the playoffs also as the poster in this thread stated.

They'd be behind Montréal (4th in the North), who bounced Pittsburgh with ease in last year's playoffs. That string of poor play from Pittsburgh has continued so far this season.

They still have decent forwards. Defence and goaltending is terrible. Time to rebuild.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You think the Pens in the North have the NHls best record now. It's a joke.
Never said this. I said if they were playing in the North they would likely be at the top of the division, I just replied to another poster they would be no worse than 2nd. I don't know if you only selectively read posts, but if you bother to read the posts above you would have seen this. You remind me of another poster who has this habit of selectively reading posts. Don't make things up.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Have you watched them this year? They have a good team with a depleted D. Once healthy they will be very tough and battle the Isles to the end for the 4th spot.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Never said this. I said if they were playing in the North they would likely be at the top of the division, I just replied to another poster they would be no worse than 2nd. I don't know if you only selectively read posts, but if you bother to read the posts above you would have seen this. You remind me of another poster who has this habit of selectively reading posts. Don't make things up.
You said they'd be first. It's a joke. You can't grasp how poor that team is now. It's got nothing to do with the division at all. They would be 5th in the North right now and suddenly they are leading the division? With what defense and goaltending?

This idea you can't go by "This year" so you will go by "Previous Years" is a really outrageously terrible argument, Spatso.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Yeah the team that has 4 regulation wins so far this season and got booted by Montreal in the qualifying round would be first in the North.

It’s one thing calling the North weak, it’s another claiming an extremely mediocre team who’s on a downward trend would run the table in the division.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The penguins were 9-8 last year against North teams and they are arguably worse this year. They would be somewhere in the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->