Rank the Cup Losers From the 2000-09

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
the hurricanes also went to and won game 7 of the finals with their backup goalie.

Except maybe I'm wrong, but didn't they put in their "backup" because Gerber sucked in the first round? :laugh: Ward was a better goalie than Gerber.

Edit: Maybe Gerber got hurt, but either way Ward was the better goalie.

RapidFire

Jan 3, 2007
Neither did Markstrom. Pull up a single questionable goal he let in that wasn't in a game that the oilers bothered showing up in.

The difference between him and Roloson is that on penalty kills, Roloson was a beast. Before the Roloson trade the Oilers PK% was mediocre, then he came and it was great, then he got injured and the Canes lit us up on PKs.

Game 4 and game 7 are two games that the Canes won that Roloson could have shut the door on the PK and win the game. I'm not guaranteeing the Oilers win the cup with him but their chances are definitely better.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Except maybe I'm wrong, but didn't they put in their "backup" because Gerber sucked in the first round? :laugh: Ward was a better goalie than Gerber.

Edit: Maybe Gerber got hurt, but either way Ward was the better goalie.

Yeah Ward was better even though Gerber had and deserved the starting job the entire season and posted a significantly better SV% than Ward.

Good call.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Uh Ward won the cup in his rookie year in 2006 so I don't think he was part of that 2002 team.

Also the 2006 hurricanes were helped by spearing Koivu in the eye so.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Uh Ward won the cup in his rookie year in 2006 so I don't think he was part of that 2002 team.

Also the 2006 hurricanes were helped by spearing Koivu in the eye so.

Yeah, how could the Canadiens win without Koivu's one shot over 3 games? :sarcasm:

And Gerber wasn't hurt. He was violently ill, IIRC. Lost a bunch of weight before the playoffs started, which explains his performance in the first two games.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Yeah, how could the Canadiens win without Koivu's one shot over 3 games? :sarcasm:

And Gerber wasn't hurt. He was violently ill, IIRC. Lost a bunch of weight before the playoffs started, which explains his performance in the first two games.

Don't forget the two secondary assists he had too. Those were series changing tbh.

:teach:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Hard not to vote for:

Jere Lehtinen - Mike Modano - Brett Hull
Brenden Morrow - Joe Nieuwendijk - Jamie Langenbrunner
Scott Thornton - Guy Carbonneau - Mike Keane
Grant Marshall - Kirk Muller - Blake Sloan

Darryl Sydor - Sergei Zubov
Derian Hatcher - Richard Matvichuk
Dave Manson - Jamie Pushor

Eddie Belfour
Emanuel Fernandez

That team was build for the playoffs in the clutch and grab DP era..

09 Wings....Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Hossa/Franzen/Filppula/Lidstrom/Rafalski/Kronwall/

01 Devils.... Stevens/Niedermayer/Rafalski/Danyeko/Elias/Holik/Arnott/Skyora/Mogilny/Gomez/

It's close though, but these 3 are the built the best imo.

ScubaSteve*

03 Ducks were a goaltender with overstuffed pads and a bunch of warm bodies. They have to be the worst on this list.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
the 02 #hcanes were pretty bad. mostly because it was just ron francis and a whole lotta lol.

also, it's a terrible hockey market. i mean, is not like there has been hockey in charlotte since 1956 or anything. also, why do they even play in such a tropical paradise full of white sand and palm trees where it never snows and it's totally not just a six hour drive away from philadelphia up i-95.

nc is famous for its tropical beaches #amirite?

people totally go swimming all the time in february because the water is so warm and tepid.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
1. 01' Devils
2. 09' Wings
3. 00' Stars
4. 04' Lightning
5. 07' Sens
6. 08' Pens
7. 03' Mighty Ducks
8. 06' Oilers
9. 02' Canes

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
1. 09 Wings
2. 01 Devils

rest doesn't matter. that 09 detroit team was incredible.

'09 Wings are a real curates egg. Regular season was underwhelming. We were terrible defensively, I mean truly atrocious. Made worse by the fact Osgood couldn't stop a beach ball. Luckily we had a monster offense which bailed us out night after night. Every game we were either blowing a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period, or coming back from a 2 goal deficit in the 3rd.

Then come the playoffs Osgood went into '08 beast mode. We swept the BJs in round 1, 75% of which was down to Ozzie.
2nd round was the war against the Ducks. Every Wings player involved in that series said it was the toughest series they ever played in.
3rd round we beat Chicago 4-1, but 3 games went to OT, Brian Campbell was like a 4th forward for us, and they weren't really ready to beat a proper team in the playoffs yet.

So onto the finals with Pittsburgh by which point we were crippled with injuries.

Lidstrom - emergency surgery to quite literally save his testicles. Missed 1 game and came back
Ericsson - emergency appendectomy. Missed one game and came back.
Rafalski - separated shoulder and herniated disk
Datsyuk - broken foot. Missed first 4 games of finals, came back as soon as the swelling had gone down enough to get a skate on
Cleary - Double groin tear. Couldn't walk up stairs, but carried on playing.
Lilja - out with concussion
Kopecky - out with broken cheekbone (no loss mind ;) )
Hossa - torn rotator cuff. Had off-season surgery and missed first 3 months of following season.
Holmstrom - no specific injury but so beaten up he talked about retiring, said he didn't think he could put his body through that again.

We got outplayed the first 2 games of the finals, but thankfully we had Fleury in net to give us a 2-0 lead. How we took that series to 7 games I have no idea, we only played well in one of them. That whole playoff run was based on Ozzie's goaltending and heart, grit and will from the players.

TL;DR - the team looked good on paper but never actually played that well.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
1. 01 Devils
2. 09 Red Wings
3. 08 Pens
4. 00 Stars
5. 07 Sens
6. 06 Oilers
7. 04 Flames
8. 03 Mighty Ducks
9. 02 Canes

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
09 wings were weak defensively. 244 ga that year, putting them in the bottom half of the league. 01 devils are without a doubt the better team.

They weren't great defensively in the regular season (Osgood's poor season didn't help), but in the playoffs they were arguably the best at both ends of the ice.

I think you can argue either, but you can't say "without a doubt" one way or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->