14 Williams
15 Keith
18 Ovechkin
13 Kane
07 Niedermayer
17 Crosby
06 Ward
16 Crosby

Williams over Keith is almost criminal.Doughty should have won the Smythe very easily in 2014, and as great as he was, he wasn't at Keith's 2015 level.

I think Keith is my #1 on that entire list just above Malkin.

(I know I'm a prick for criticizing and not doing my ranking, maybe later today, I tend to mix up the Toews/Kane years so I'm not sure where I'd put them).

Reactions: feffan

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
niedermayer in 07 was such a bad choice

obviously the ducks wouldn't have come close to winning it all without him but it should have gone to pahlsson. even getzlaf, giguere, and pronger were deserving but there was no way they'd give it to pronger after he was suspended multiple times in the playoffs

niedermayer was the safe choice

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I want to say Keith and Zetterberg are in serious contention with Malkin for 1st spot post-lockout among skaters, but I'll probably get flamed for that given the gap in raw numbers. :)

This might be the first time I ever say this. I actually agree with you Crosby 2017 Smythe was better than Toews 2010 Smythe

I also prefer Crosby 2017 in this comparison, he was great, but I can see the argument either way.

Oh that's right...I did want Pahlsson in '07...I forgot all about that...good call.

Pahlsson was great at his role, but slim chance a guy like that wins a Smythe unless he's up against other "nobodies".

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
interesting to think that if the question were just "rank the best playoff performances since 2005" a handful of conn smythe winners would be nowhere near the list. (and chris pronger might make it 3 times.)

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Williams over Keith is almost criminal.Doughty should have won the Smythe very easily in 2014, and as great as he was, he wasn't at Keith's 2015 level.

I think Keith is my #1 on that entire list just above Malkin.

(I know I'm a prick for criticizing and not doing my ranking, maybe later today, I tend to mix up the Toews/Kane years so I'm not sure where I'd put them).
Believe it or not, in 2015 people till the last minute wondered if it would be Keith. He wasn't as slam dunk as the retrospect is.

Williams achievements are in plain sight.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Believe it or not, in 2015 people till the last minute wondered if it would be Keith. He wasn't as slam dunk as the retrospect is.

Williams achievements are in plain sight.

This is inaccurate. Keith won in a unanimous vote. Everyone was lauding him with praise for playing 30+ minutes a night for a team down to 4 defenseman and still being the best player on the ice nearly every game.

It was the most "slam dunk" Smythe I can remember from 05-present.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I distinctly remember those Finals. You can pull up the game threads here. Up until the Finals it wasn't clear. Everybody said that with strong Finals from Kane, it was his. Kane disappeared, while Keith persevered. The "slam dunk" narrative began after Keith's win.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
I bet if this had been the idiots in Canadian media like Steve Simmons and Nick Kypreos, they would have ranked Toews ahead of Malkin.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I distinctly remember those Finals. You can pull up the game threads here. Up until the Finals it wasn't clear. Everybody said that with strong Finals from Kane, it was his. Kane disappeared, while Keith persevered. The "slam dunk" narrative began after Keith's win.

This is what I remember going into the Finals, but going into the final game, he was the odds-on favorite (-150 being the number I’ve found). I think its greatness gets inflated by the unusual announcement of it being a “unanimous” decision (which will always say as much about the field as it does about an individual’s performance) and by the high ATOI numbers due to two 3OT and two 2OT games. His median TOI of 29:07 was right in line with those of 2001’s Blake (28:47), 2002’s Lidstrom (29:49), and 2006’s Pronger (29:13) - which is to say he played a lot but not an otherworldly amount.

Reactions: Sentinel

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
2015 was the first recent year that the media reported on actual Conn Smythe voting, and Keith was indeed the unanimous winner.

I think it was closer before the finals.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I think there was some built-in expectation that Keith would be screwed over in the voting.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The thing with Keith's Smythe is that Chicago's defense was in trouble because they only had 4 defensemen they could trust, so they overplayed them all, with Keith leading the way.

Reactions: Sentinel

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
The thing with Keith's Smythe is that Chicago's defense was in trouble because they only had 4 defensemen they could trust, so they overplayed them all, with Keith leading the way.
That's for sure, but like qui and I said: it was pretty close until the Finals.

That said, I'm ok with putting Keith over Williams. Not the battle I want to fight.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Quick is a weird one for me because you can’t argue with the results and numbers, but watching the Kings during that run it never seemed like Quick had to steal a game. The 2012 Kings are still the best defensive team I’ve watched win the Cup. Almost flawless, everyone knew what they were doing and where they had to be.

Plus Arizona and New Jersey arent exactly powerhouse opponents.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think there was some built-in expectation that Keith would be screwed over in the voting.

This is the only reason I had any doubts he would win. For whatever reason the media seems to search for any reason not to give it to defensemen. Niedermayer is the one strange outlier.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
This is the only reason I had any doubts he would win. For whatever reason the media seems to search for any reason not to give it to defensemen. Niedermayer is the one strange outlier.

No more so than Nicklas Lidstrom, who saw Chelios draw the short straw in facing the two toughest lines they faced that playoff run. But the Ducks and Red Wings didn’t have a high-end run by a scorer or a high-end run by a goalie (Giguere split time with Bryzgalov).

I don’t think the media has had to go to far out of their way to find a reason not to give it to a defenseman, because usually Stanley Cup Champions have exactly that: high-end scorers or goaltenders or both. If Toews scorers ~30 points, that’s not any reason; it’s a very, very good reason.

I mean, they could have given it to Keith in 2013, and that run would be buried at the bottom of everyone’s list with Niedermayer and Crosby, because just like in 2002, 2007, and 2016, the Stanley Cup Champions won in a short series while probably not having the best player in the playoffs.

...though maybe in 2007, they did. If anything, the narrative of the unrewarded post-lockout playoff defenseman comes down to the same name - and it ain’t Keith.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Top end: Malkin in 09, Quick in 12

I guess the bottom end would be the ones that didn't deserve it, right? So that's Ward in 06, Thomas in 11, Williams in 14, Crosby in 16, Ovechkin in 18...

Could you do me a favor and enlighten me as to who should have won the Conn Smythe instead of Tim Thomas in 2011?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad