3. Gardiner
4. Matthews
5. Tavares
6. Marner
7. Kadri
8. Dermott
9. Nylander
10. Zaitsev

I think if Andersen, Rielly or Gardiner go down with injury it would be really bad. If Tavares or Matthews go down we can survive because our attack is so loaded.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
1. Andersen
2. Rielly
3. Gardiner
4. Matthews
5. Tavares
6. Marner
7. Kadri
8. Dermott
9. Nylander
10. Zaitsev

I think if Andersen, Rielly or Gardiner go down with injury it would be really bad. If Tavares or Matthews go down we can survive because our attack is so loaded.
Wow you have some guts saying gardiner is more important than gardiner.....you would get rid of matthews this year to keep gardiner?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Any list that doesn't have Matthews at #1 is incredibly incorrect. Yes goaltending is important but its easier to find a goalie who can stop pucks than it is to find a legit #1 star centre. It can take a team a decade to find one after one retires or gets traded, Leafs fans of all should know this, look how long it took us to replace Sundin, Matthews is the most important player to this franchise and in a landslide.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I guess Matthews fell in this ranking after Tavares signed.

1. Andersen
2. Rielly
3. Marner
4. Matthews
5. Tavares
6. Kadri

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Any list that doesn't have Matthews at #1 is incredibly incorrect. Yes goaltending is important but its easier to find a goalie who can stop pucks than it is to find a legit #1 star centre. It can take a team a decade to find one after one retires or gets traded, Leafs fans of all should know this, look how long it took us to replace Sundin, Matthews is the most important player to this franchise and in a landslide.

I agree but honestly it really isn't only that he's an elite center, it's that he's Matthews. Watching him play, I see a difference that Tavares doesn't even bring. Idk what it is, but it's kinda like the Sid or Ovi factor. In fact my list is a bit different:

1. Matthews
2. Marner
3. Andersen
4. Rielly
5. Tavares
6. Nylander
7. Kadri
8. Gardiner
9. Dermott
10. Zaitsev

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I agree but honestly it really isn't only that he's an elite center, it's that he's Matthews. Watching him play, I see a difference that Tavares doesn't even bring. Idk what it is, but it's kinda like the Sid or Ovi factor. In fact my list is a bit different:

1. Matthews
2. Marner
3. Andersen
4. Rielly
5. Tavares
6. Nylander
7. Kadri
8. Gardiner
9. Dermott
10. Zaitsev

I like this list, Matthews-Marner are the future of the Leafs IMO, I'd also place them 1 and 2 respectively. I also think Dermott will develop into an integral part for us on the back along the same importance guys like Kaberle/McCabe had

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I have seen all this talk about how marner should be looking at 10 million a year and how nylander wants 8 million a year......im sorry but if I have was dubas its simple.

This is how I would rank players based on IMPORTANCE to the team:

1. Matthews
2. Andersen
3. Rielly
4. Tavares
5. Marner
6. Nylander/Kadri

If they want to be part of a stanley cup contender here in Toronto, then this is your number. Im tired of seeing other great teams get amazing hometown discounts but our guys supposedly are asking for a truckload of money.

If marner wants 9-10 million, trade him for an amzing defenceman. If nylander wants 8, trade him for a defenceman. Marner should get 7-8 and Nylander should get 6-7. We can not afford them if they want more. Ship them off to florida panthers or carolina and say have fun getting your money on a awful team. These players have the opportunity to make a lot of money if they bring home the cup.

If tampa can get their stars for great deals, why cant we?

You are crazy man.

This team looks a lot less promising if we lose Marner. The best pure playmaker we have. Our team looks mediocre without him in the future.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
not with the amount of shots andy faces, look at how edmonton did when talbot didnt play well last year. also i believe the leafs were like 11 - 7 - 2 or something without matthews last year (could be off by a game or 2) with the high event defense we play our goaltender is more important than to another team like vegas for example who play a much tighter system. just MHO tho.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
You are crazy man.

This team looks a lot less promising if we lose Marner. The best pure playmaker we have. Our team looks mediocre without him in the future.
agree, i put marner as our top forward in terms of importance. our PP will be what win us alot of games this year imo and everything goes through marner on our PP. otherwise i would have pick matthews as our most important forward.

edit: i agree with everything except the mediocre part lol

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If Andersen has an off year (let's say is only 75% of his best) we are likely in the hunt for the wild card.
Especially with our "excessive shots against thing".

and our interesting Defense Crue.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
I like this list, Matthews-Marner are the future of the Leafs IMO, I'd also place them 1 and 2 respectively. I also think Dermott will develop into an integral part for us on the back along the same importance guys like Kaberle/McCabe had

Exactly.

Losing Matthews we lose everywhere. Current and future.

Lose Marner we lose what makes us the current Leafs. Dangerous special teams now and future.

Andersen and Rielly we lose now.

Tavares and Nylander we lose the supplements to Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: Critical91

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
You are crazy man.

I agree Marner is top 2 importance on this team, but without him we are not mediocre, any team that has two #1 centres will still remain a quality team (Matthews-Tavares)

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Interesting question.

Andersen
Rielly
Matthews
Tavares/Marner/Gardiner
Kadri/Nylander
Zaitsev/Dermott
Marleau

This list is based on the players impact in the context of our team today. Not considering trade value, future value, contracts or anything else.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Im shocked that people dont have rielly and andersen in the their top 3. If either of them get hurt, we are kind of screwed.

I’d add Hainsey to the top 5 because he’s going to play a lot too and if he’s a step slower it’ll have an pretty good impact

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Anderson
Matthews
Tavares
Reilly
Kadri
Gardiner
Marner
Nylander
Dermott
This is the way I see it personally, I’ve always felt goalies are most important players on winning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->