Rank players based on importance to the team

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I have seen all this talk about how marner should be looking at 10 million a year and how nylander wants 8 million a year......im sorry but if I have was dubas its simple.

This is how I would rank players based on IMPORTANCE to the team:

1. Matthews
2. Andersen
3. Rielly
4. Tavares
5. Marner
6. Nylander/Kadri

If they want to be part of a stanley cup contender here in Toronto, then this is your number. Im tired of seeing other great teams get amazing hometown discounts but our guys supposedly are asking for a truckload of money.

If marner wants 9-10 million, trade him for an amzing defenceman. If nylander wants 8, trade him for a defenceman. Marner should get 7-8 and Nylander should get 6-7. We can not afford them if they want more. Ship them off to florida panthers or carolina and say have fun getting your money on a awful team. These players have the opportunity to make a lot of money if they bring home the cup.

If tampa can get their stars for great deals, why cant we?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Flip Andersen and Matthews IMO

If Matthews has an off year (let's say is only 75% of his best) we are still in the hunt for the division title.

If Andersen has an off year (let's say is only 75% of his best) we are likely in the hunt for the wild card.

The goalie is generally the most IMPORTANT player on any top 10 team.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Flip Andersen and Matthews IMO

If Matthews has an off year (let's say is only 75% of his best) we are still in the hunt for the division title.

If Andersen has an off year (let's say is only 75% of his best) we are likely in the hunt for the wild card.

The goalie is generally the most IMPORTANT player on any top 10 team.
I would kind of agree! Maybe they are tied for most important

Reactions: egd27

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Nylander was once #1 in June 2014. He is now 7.

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Rielly
Andersen
Kadri
Nylander
If we lose andersen this season, our season is over. He is extremely important to our team. Arguably our most important. If we lose Rielly, our defence is pure hot garbage.

We cant afford to lose andersen, matthews, rielly.

Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Can you just make this a series of threads with polls?

My top 10 in order

Matthews
Taveres
Marner
Kadri
Rielly
Nylander
Marleau
Gardiner
Anderson
Zaitsev

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Andersen
Rielly
Nylander
Kadri
Gardiner
Dermott
Zaitsev
Marleau
Hyman
Kapanen
Brown
Hainsey
Johnsson
Leivo
McIlhinney
Ozi
Lindholm

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I guess that amazing D we'd get for Marner will have no problem taking a discount , lol .

and I'll also guess you'd trade Mathews if he wants 11/12m per yr

But I do agree I'm also tired of players like Stamkos 8.5m and Seguin sub 10m taking discounts while we had to pay JT 11m to come here .

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Nylander was once #1 in June 2014. He is now 7.

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Rielly
Andersen
Kadri
Nylander

I'm not sure how you can put Andersen so low. He should be #1 or a close #2 at most. If ANY of those other guys aren't having a good season, there's someone else who can step in. If Andersen gets hurt for an elongated amount of time or isn't performing for months, who's going to step in? McElhinney for 40+ games? Sparks? Come on.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Andersen
Reilly
Kadri
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Dermott
Nylander

How Zaitsev and Dermott play will be key, our D needs them big time. Bit worried back there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews
Andersen - a toss up with Matthews, but such an important addition to the team.
Marner/Nylander - this may be controversial, but I want to emphasize the Leafs return to contention had a lot to do with BOTH these guys graduating at the same time along with Matthews.
Gardiner - love him or hate him, he's an all situations, big minutes guy.
Rielly
Tavares - he's a new addition and hasn't actually played for us in any situation. Will definitely climb the charts, but
Kadri - completes the strength down the middle.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'm not sure how you can put Andersen so low. He should be #1 or a close #2 at most. If ANY of those other guys aren't having a good season, there's someone else who can step in. If Andersen gets hurt for an elongated amount of time or isn't performing for months, who's going to step in? McElhinney for 40+ games? Sparks? Come on.
This team can score their way out of problems.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I would look at it more as who is the hardest to replace.

Teams trade goalies (who are under contract or have RFA status) all the time for late 1st rounders, or 2nd rounders + a mid-round pick. Jones, Martin, Raanta, Andersen, Bobrovsky, Schneider, Talbot, Varlamov, Dubnyk, Bishop, etc are all starting goalies that have been traded at some point in the last 5 or so years.

Rielly/Matthews/Tavares/Marner/etc calibre forwards/defence that are under team control for multiple years though? Virtually never get traded, and when they do the cost is a lot higher than what goalies cost. So yea, goaltending is important, but it's also a relatively easy hole to fill (despite the Leafs struggles filling that hole for a decade before Andersen).

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
You've got to think of how the players are going to be in the next couple of years, the original big 3 are all super young and tons of potential. Matthews is our franchise player and will be the player we build around for as long as he's here. Tavares is our 1/2 combo with our franchise player. I think they're both very important for the team and affect the way the Leafs want to be built. Marner and Nylander give us two 1st lines to run with. Also I'd agree that Andersen is very, very important to this team. Rielly continuing to progress is huge for the team too. I think Kadri is important and his cap hit is huge for our competitiveness but I don't think he's more important than what Nylander or Marner can be as soon as this year.

Matthews
Tavares
Andersen
Rielly
Marner
Nylander
Kadri

That's our 7 biggest pieces.

I think Gardiner, Dermott and Zaitsev round out the top 10. Got a feeling Zaitsev has a bounce back season, injury free.

We've got 3 more years of Andersen who'll be 30 at the end of his contract, that might be the biggest hurdle we'll need to go over to stay competitive.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Im shocked that people dont have rielly and andersen in the their top 3. If either of them get hurt, we are kind of screwed.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I would look at it more as who is the hardest to replace.

Teams trade goalies (who are under contract or have RFA status) all the time for late 1st rounders, or 2nd rounders + a mid-round pick. Jones, Martin, Raanta, Andersen, Bobrovsky, Schneider, Talbot, Varlamov, Dubnyk, Bishop, etc are all starting goalies that have been traded at some point in the last 5 or so years.

Rielly/Matthews/Tavares/Marner/etc calibre forwards/defence that are under team control for multiple years though? Virtually never get traded, and when they do the cost is a lot higher than what goalies cost. So yea, goaltending is important, but it's also a relatively easy hole to fill (despite the Leafs struggles filling that hole for a decade before Andersen).

Agree that starting goalies definitely don't have the trade value of equivalent (age/contract status) 1st line forwards or top pair defencemen, but that's also why goalies are the likeliest of positions to clear waivers (obviously it's the backups that would be going on waivers). Fewer goalies on a roster compared to forwards and D, so I can see where an overpaid starter would be the bigger albatross contract.

As per the OP question, I'm not sure who the toughest/most important is. A C like Matthews/Tavares/Kadri out would probably first see Nylander or Marleau to C (I guess depending on length of time) and a winger drawing in. Andersen out means a backup has to become a starter, which can be a lot to ask. Rielly's a difficult one partially because the D depth isn't the strongest point of the team. Wing/offence might be a stronger point, but Marner out definitely changes the PP, at the very least.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
In terms of overall long-term value,

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Rielly
Andersen
Rielly
Nylander
Kadri

But that being said, Rielly and Andersen are probably our two most critical pieces at this point in time insofar as if either of them goes down long term, we're probably ****ed. I don't think there's a forward on our team whose loss would cripple us completely given how much depth and versatility we have within our forward corps

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
my list:

1. andersen
2. zaitsev
3. marner
4. rielly
5. matthews
6. tavares
7. gardiner
8. nylander