Rank our Prospects

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I don't know how to make a poll on the team boards, so I'm just gonna stick to asking for lists. Otherwise it would have been nice to do one of those polls for each spot. Other boards do that, and I think it's a nice thread series for the Summer.

Anyway, I was gonna make a list ranking my top 10 instead, but I don't know enough about Bajkov, Repo, Ang, Gildon etc... to make an educated ranking.

If you don't mind, please include the ranking, name, what you think they project as, and when you think they'll start/be called up.
I.e.

1) Henrik Borgstrom...top 6 C, starts in 2018-19
2) Aleksi Heponiemi...Middle 6 wing, called up during 2020-21

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I don't know how to make a poll on the team boards, so I'm just gonna stick to asking for lists. Otherwise it would have been nice to do one of those polls for each spot. Other boards do that, and I think it's a nice thread series for the Summer.

[...]
We did one of these last year after the draft; I imagine we could do a new one this year once the draft is over?
Also, what's your cut-off for a prospect? Malgin has almost two NHL seasons under his belt so I guess he doesn't qualify anymore, but is McCoshen a prospect? He played more than 25 NHL games which is one of the commonly used factors, but he wasn't really a regular either. And if McCoshen is a prospect, is Weegar one?

Reactions: kerrabria

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
We did one of these last year after the draft; I imagine we could do a new one this year once the draft is over?
Also, what's your cut-off for a prospect? Malgin has almost two NHL seasons under his belt so I guess he doesn't qualify anymore, but is McCoshen a prospect? He played more than 25 NHL games which is one of the commonly used factors, but he wasn't really a regular either. And if McCoshen is a prospect, is Weegar one?

That actually makes sense to do it after the draft. If the mods wanna lock this thread up then go ahead.

I would go by having a full season of being an NHL regular under their belts. So imo Malgin no, McCoshen yes, Weegar is tough but I'd still say yes.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bump.

I think I'll start doing the polls after the prospect camp is over, let everyone get a better feel for our not so well known guys in the system (+ maybe some of the tryouts get signed). I also need to look up what I used last year to exclude the older guys (Matheson IIRC was the biggest name, I think).

How many prospects do we want per poll, 6 enough for the beginning? Obviously as we progress further the gap between prospects decreases, so eventually I'll add all the ones remaining.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
1 (by default) - Borgstrom
2 - Denisenko
3 - Tippett

T4 - Bajkov, Heponiemi, Gildon, Ang (cant give an accurate rating so ill put them in a group)

dont think of mamin and repo as a prospect the same way as some of the others because they have more pro experience, but theyd both be over the bajkov group.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
1. Borgstrom
2. Tippett
3. Denisenko
4. Ang
5. Stillman
6. Gildon
7. Bajkov
8. Heponiemi
9. Noel
10. Hunt
11. Inamoto

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Can we clearly define what is considered a prospect? And also define the criteria, ie the way HF did it with ceiling and likelihood to reach ceiling? Just so everyone is on the same page.

Reactions: kerrabria

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Excluded:

- Matheson, has established his position in the NHL already.
- Brickley, re-joined the organization as a UFA and he's getting up there in age.
- Sateri, he's old.

Included:

- McCann, hasn't established his position in the NHL, despite playing almost a hundred games.
- Malgin, same thing as McCann with less games.
- Weegar, same thing as the above two.

Anyone on their ELC should be included and you can request players who should be added to the next thread. I tried to pick players who are the closest to making the NHL.
This is the cut off for players that I used last year. So I think for this year it would be:

Excluded: McCann (he's made the team), Malgin (same thing, even if there's a little doubt that he might have to be sent down at the beginning of the season to make the contracts work) and Weegar (obviously).

Included: Borgstrom (his roster spot isn't set in stone, yet), McCoshen (spent most of the year in the pressbox, who knows what happens with him) and Mamin (same thing as Borg).

And I think that's about it, the rest of the younger guys are in.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Can we clearly define what is considered a prospect? And also define the criteria, ie the way HF did it with ceiling and likelihood to reach ceiling? Just so everyone is on the same page.

Looks like Soupy's got the "who" question down. (He wasn't mentioned, but I'm gonna go ahead and consider Vatrano a non-prospect. Been in the league 4 years now and is 24).

A system I would like to use for the criteria would be the one I think a lot of people use...

Ceilings:
- Generational
- Franchise
- Elite
- Top Line/1D
- Top 6/Top Pair
- Top 9/Top 4
- Middle 6/Middle Pair
- Bottom 9/Bottom 4
- Bottom 6/Bottom Pair
- 4th Liner/6D
- AHLer

We could just do likelihoods on a scale of 1 to 5.
- 5: Very Likely
- 4: Likely
- 3: Maybe
- 2: Long Shot
- 1: Don't Expect Anything

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
My opinion right off the bat:

1) Borgstrom...top 6 C; Likely
2) Denisenko...top 9 W; Likely
3) Tippett...top 6 W; Maybe

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
?

Everyone has him in our top 3 so far.
yea not this guy. for me its:
Borg, Hepo, Denisenko, Gildon, tippett. unless were talking about closest to being nhl ready. then it'd be different of course. I'm strictly speaking of potential. I'm open to trading any of them though for immediate help though.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
1-Borgstrom
2-Gildon
3-Montembeault
4-Denisenko
5-Tippett
6-Noel
7-Stillman
8-Heponiemi (Higher upside than anyone on the list, but he's small, so we'll see)
9-Schemitsch
10-Bajkov

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Haha, since my post, two have already posted without him in their top 3!
It's nothing against Tippett honestly. Gildon will be just as good as Matheson maybe even better defensively (I'm really high on him). Monty will definitely get a shot and should be on the team for the 2019-2020 season if only because there's no one else. Denisenko and Tippet are interchangeable, but Denisenko can play in the KHL which would be better for his development than Tippett being stuck in the OHL for another year. There are already too many forwards and unless the Panthers trade two of Malgin, McCann or Bjugstad, I don't see Tippett making the team.

Reactions: I am not exposed

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
A lot of Gildon fans around here. When did his stock shoot up so high? Not that I’m a prospect expert, but I was more interested in Schemitsch

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
A lot of Gildon fans around here. When did his stock shoot up so high? Not that I’m a prospect expert, but I was more interested in Schemitsch

He had a really hot start this season, he was one of the highest scoring freshman defensemen in the nation for the first couple months, but then he cooled off, but still the potential is there for him to produce some offense. He has a great shot, his wrist shot is an absolute bullet. Combine that with his 6'3" frame and great skating ability, and he looks like a pretty good prospect. He knows how to get into prime scoring position to get the puck, and he likes to jump up into the play. He's ok defensively, if he can hone his defensive and offensive skills he could be a good defenseman for us.

Reactions: BeezKnees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->