Rank NHL goalie prospects #5

Who is the #5 Goalie Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
#1- Spencer Knight (Rank NHL goalie prospects)
#2- Yaroslav Askarov (Rank NHL goalie prospects)
#3- Jake Oettinger (Rank NHL goalie prospects)
#4- Jeremy Swayman (Rank NHL goalie prospects #4)

I will wait 3 days per round (voting closes after 3 days) to see if there's a clear winner. Hopefully, we'll get enough votes to make a top-10 or even top-15

When voting, please also consider their age, a 20 y/o goalie has more room to develop than a 24 y/o goalie

Tell me who to add

ELIGIBILITY : Under 25 y/o and under 45 NHL games (HF criterias)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t consider Kappo Kahkonen a prospect anymore.

45 games should be the benchmark for skaters, goalies is should be like 20 games.

He was on Minny’s roster the whole year last year. I don’t consider him a prospect.

Gustavsson here.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t consider Kappo Kahkonen a prospect anymore.

45 games should be the benchmark for skaters, goalies is should be like 20 games.

He was on Minny’s roster the whole year last year. I don’t consider him a prospect.

Gustavsson here.

Personally, HF old criterias are the best concensus criterias I have ever seen anywhere.

Sure, sometimes you know a skater or even a goalie will stay in the NHL for a longtime after a few games, but most of the time, you are still far from knowing what you have in a prospect

Look at Nick Paul for example. At the start of the 2019-20 season, he was 24 y/o and had 56 NHL games (spread over the 4 previous seasons) under his belt but he still wasn't established in the NHL yet. It's last year that we started seeing what kind of NHLer he was.

Yes Kahkonen was on Minnesota roster during the whole shortened season but he only played 29 games. He's not a finished product by any means. However, he's turning 25 y/o in August so you can consider him "graduated" then

These "cut and dry" criterias are there for a reason. and it's not just in hockey... it's the only way to have some kind of concensus. If everyone start making his own proper criterias, then it's basically an useless discussion and there's absolutely no comparison possible. That's why it's always a bit useless to compare prospects lists from internet sources, there's way too much discrepancy in their criterias.

Dostal
Logan Thompson

Kahkonen has graduated IMO.

Exactly what I am talking above

What if 20 different posters post here with 20 different criterias for games/age cutoff? Then how is it even possible to achieve anything?

I have stated the criterias in the OP, so that's the ones we're using in this serie of polls

Anybody could start new polls with different criterias if they feel like it but don't think it'll make a big difference with the current polls. We know Kahkonen is going to be 25 y/o, so looking at the final top-15 (let,s say), just remove him and look at the list again.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Personally, HF old criterias are the best concensus criterias I have ever seen anywhere.

Sure, sometimes you know a skater or even a goalie will stay in the NHL for a longtime after a few games, but most of the time, you are still far from knowing what you have in a prospect

Look at Nick Paul for example. At the start of the 2019-20 season, he was 24 y/o and had 56 NHL games (spread over the 4 previous seasons) under his belt but he still wasn't established in the NHL yet. It's last year that we started seeing what kind of NHLer he was.

Yes Kahkonen was on Minnesota roster during the whole shortened season but he only played 29 games. He's not a finished product by any means. However, he's turning 25 y/o in August so you can consider him "graduated" then

These "cut and dry" criterias are there for a reason. and it's not just in hockey... it's the only way to have some kind of concensus. If everyone start making his own proper criterias, then it's basically an useless discussion and there's absolutely no comparison possible. That's why it's always a bit useless to compare prospects lists from internet sources, there's way too much discrepancy in their criterias.

Exactly what I am talking above

What if 20 different posters post here with 20 different criterias for games/age cutoff? Then how is it even possible to achieve anything?

I have stated the criterias in the OP, so that's the ones we're using in this serie of polls

Anybody could start new polls with different criterias if they feel like it but don't think it'll make a big difference with the current polls. We know Kahkonen is going to be 25 y/o, so looking at the final top-15 (let,s say), just remove him and look at the list again.
That HF criteria was made what? 20+ years ago? The site has now been neglected.

It should be looked at on a case by case basis. Khakonen was on Minnesota’s NHL roster the entire season and was a starter for a good portion of it.
With your criteria, Matt Murray would have been considered a prospect going into the 16/17 season after he had helped lead his team to a Stanley Cup as a starter.

I consider Khakonen an NHLer, not a prospect. I’m sure many on this site would agree.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That HF criteria was made what? 20+ years ago? The site has now been neglected.

It should be looked at on a case by case basis. Khakonen was on Minnesota’s NHL roster the entire season and was a starter for a good portion of it.
With your criteria, Matt Murray would have been considered a prospect going into the 16/17 season after he had helped lead his team to a Stanley Cup as a starter.

I consider Khakonen an NHLer, not a prospect. I’m sure many on this site would agree.

- Doesn't matter if it was made 20 years ago or 30, sometimes things are valid for a long time, like 2 + 2 = 4

Playing for ex 35 games in the NHL rarely made you an established NHL player, 20 years ago like today. There's the McDavids and the Matthews and then there's the rest of the field, which is the vast majority, i.e. players who need a bit of time to establish themselves.

- Max Lajoie started the season in Ottawa in 2018-19, ended up playing 56 games that season. You could have thought "ok Max is graduating"... He has played 6 NHL games since plus 2 in the playoffs for Carolina. Doesn't matter how long a guy stays on a NHL roster, you will still NEED a clear cut factual criteria. If not, there's no concensus and the discussion is useless and even stupid.

For example, Let's say there is 30 people discussing Khakonen. What happens if 14 people consider him a prospect and the other 16 don't? Majority wins? What if you do that another day and then the majority is on the other side?

Been there done that, I have seen many people try to argue about this before but you know what was the problem each and everytime? Everyone had a DIFFERENT cutoff number of games...

- Matt Murray was totally considered a ROOKIE by the NHL after winning his first Cup in 2015-16. He actually finished 4th in the Calder race in 2016-17... Thanks for the free argument :sarcasm:

Matt Murray Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

He's only goalie in history to have won 2 Cups by the end of his rookie season.

Anyway, if you don't consider Khakonen, then just don't vote for him. You are also free to start your own polls with all-over the place criterias (case by case basis, good luck with that, you'd have an unfinished debate within the debate)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dostal here. Kahkonen looks more like a 1B/2A type of goalie. Dostal will be at least an average starter and potentially better. I compare him to Carter Hart. Don’t add anyone for the next round.

Reactions: 405Entrance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad