Rank how responsible Melnyk, Murray, and Maclean are for the losing season

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Well we have the fifth lowest payroll in the league and there have been plenty of reports saying that Murray doesn't have the funding to make trades. I thought this was well-known.

What reports? By whom? Probably **** sites like the Bleacher report.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There seems to be a generally accepted hypothesis that the Sens are, and will forever be a broke team under Melnyk, but in reality nobody knows if he'll loosen up the purse strings when the team is ready to compete hard.

Im not saying that is the case, just that its possible and nobody knows one way or the other despite the seemingly forced and accepted false reality of hfboards sens.

And this is why having cap space is key

If something happens and we can spend we'll be able to

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
And this is why having cap space is key

If something happens and we can spend we'll be able to

Right, but people just want to believe what they are fed by the media, which is probably already blown out of proportion or taken out of context, and make it even worse in their heads.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What reports? By whom? Probably **** sites like the Bleacher report.

I've asked this question a million times. Yet no one ever has an answer.

The team had to waive an underperforming player who had no future with the team to make a roster space for an incoming player (ended up being Hemsky). Yet the idiot parade wouldn't shut up about how the team had to make a dollar for dollar deal.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I've asked this question a million times. Yet no one ever has an answer.

The team had to waive an underperforming player who had no future with the team to make a roster space for an incoming player (ended up being Hemsky). Yet the idiot parade wouldn't shut up about how the team had to make a dollar for dollar deal.

I %100 agree, I've yet to see a report were it actually states "Melnyk says he won't spend any money on the Sens," or "Melnyk forces the Sens to make a dollar for dollar deal on Hemsky".

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's simple deduction

Why did Edmonton retain 50% of Hemsky's salary?
-They wanted to
OR
-Ottawa wanted them to

It's pretty obvious what happened: Ottawa asked Edmonton to retain salary and Edmonton said yes but that will cost you a pick

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I %100 agree, I've yet to see a report were it actually states "Melnyk says he won't spend any money on the Sens," or "Melnyk forces the Sens to make a dollar for dollar deal on Hemsky".

It's because he hasn't.

All I've ever seen is he said when the time is right the money will be there.

It's been mentioned a bunch that there is just nobody that's worth it to spend money on right now.

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40
All falls at the feet of the owner!

Given the recent TV contract that was signed, Murray should have been given the green-light to open the purse-strings!

Sorry Eugene, but if you want my money, you better spend some of you own because got to three games in a row and seeing how badly this team is playing will not happen again! I work too hard for the $$$ I make to just throw them away on a team that constantly 'mails-in' their effort!

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
It's because he hasn't.

All I've ever seen is he said when the time is right the money will be there.

It's been mentioned a bunch that there is just nobody that's worth it to spend money on right now.

Right I agree, we shouldn't spend just to spend.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

Given the recent TV contract that was signed, Murray should have been given the green-light to open the purse-strings!

Sorry Eugene, but if you want my money, you better spend some of you own because got to three games in a row and seeing how badly this team is playing will not happen again! I work too hard for the $$$ I make to just throw them away on a team that constantly 'mails-in' their effort!

Lol, who would the Sens spend money on? You have to give to get.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Who should Melnyk throw money at?

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Still means more money spent = better team for the most part. So I am correct.

No, because it implies if the Sens spent more money right now, they would automatically better, which isn't the case. You spend money on players who've proven they can improve your team, typically young players who improve and collectively help the team get better.

The sens haven't had sufficient players good enough coming through the pipeline to elevate our level of play beyond being a bubble playoff team, as such few players on this team can command substantial raises and make enough of an impact on overall payroll to offset the regular loss of veterans which occurs on every team for various reasons.

The Sens for years spent the maximum amount and dipped into free agency, and for the most part it's been a disaster. Gerber, Kovalev, Jason Smith, and to a certain extent Gonchar prior to the start of the "rebuild".

Given that Melnyk repeatedly said in the past that the team generally loses money unless they make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, and we weren't consistently making the playoffs when we were spending to the cap, it's no surprise that he's hesitant to spend money, at least as he claims, until he sees the team's core improve internally to justify increasing spending.

Im not saying we need to sign all the big free agents and spend to the cap.

Im saying we should have Alfie, Ryan, MacArthur and should be able to make a trade that improves the team, even if it means adding 2mil or so.

Yet not having Alfie is far from being a problem with this team. Defense has been a big problem for the team all year long, however even at the deadline we still went after another scoring forward. Having extra money probably means we go after a second forward like Moulson or Stewart. The biggest problem right now is far from being the budget.

Right, but people just want to believe what they are fed by the media, which is probably already blown out of proportion or taken out of context, and make it even worse in their heads.

But in fairness, when the Melnyk directly contradicts Cyrill Leeder in such a short time frame concerning the tv deal and how much the team will be spending moving forward, it doesn't inspire confidence in the fan base.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It could be argued that they added money when they traded for Hemsky who makes $5 mil per yr although Edm kept half for the remainder of the season for a draft pick. All this to say it didn't help them against Calgary although I think it will help them for the remainder of the season & into next season if he is re-signed but it might not either, there are no guarantees in sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad