Rank D from 2003 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Almost 2 years after the draft: rank the D-men who were taken in the first two rounds of the entry draft. Below you find the players, including their original draft #.

Ryan Suter (#7)
Braydon Coburn (#8)
Dion Phaneuf (#9)
Brent Seabrooke (#14)
Brent Burns (#20)
Mark Stuart (#21)
Shawn Belle (#30)
Danny Richmond (#31)
Mike Egener (#34)
Kevin Klein (#37)
Tim Ramholt (#39)
Matt Smaby (#41)
Matt Carle (#47)
Shea Weber (#49)
Ivan Baranka (#50)
John Doherty (#57)
Michal Barinka (#59)
David Liffiton (#63)

bruins4777*

Suter
Phaneuf
Coburn
Weber
Stuart
Seabrook
Belle
Burns
Ramholt

richmond

those are from all the guy's i've seen/know

I saw richmond tonight, and he blowed....

Last edited by a moderator:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Phaneuf
Suter
Coburn
Weber
Seabrooke
Stuart
Belle
Burns
Ramholt

my top 10 anyway

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
bruins4777 said:
richmond

those are from all the guy's i've seen/know

I saw richmond tonight, and he blows....
One game man. Can you honestly voice an opinion on him after one game?

bruins4777*

bleh phrased that wrong, it should be more like "i saw him tonight...he blowed". missed my -ed.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
bruins4777 said:
Suter
Phaneuf
Coburn
Weber
Stuart
Seabrook
Belle
Burns
Ramholt

How is sutter ahead of phaneuf. Suter was badly outplayed by a number of the Canadian defense and has not progressed near as much as Phaneuf.
Give your head a shake.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Aaron Vickers said:
I'm surprised I don't see Mike Egener on more lists. There are very few defensemen I'd rather have in my prospect pool.

Yeah, I like Egener too. He gets forgotten because of the big names ahead of him but he should be a good dman. I wish he would have fell so the Habs could have grabbed him, because I think he's progressed well.

The Hitmen have really produced a lot of good dmen of late. I like both Rogers and Schultz. They are huge and I think they can develop well. I think Carson could be a good NHLer. Wellar's in there too. Add Kohn and you've got a really solid group.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Vinland said:
bruins4777 said:
Suter
Phaneuf
Coburn
Weber
Stuart
Seabrook
Belle
Burns
Ramholt

How is sutter ahead of phaneuf. Suter was badly outplayed by a number of the Canadian defense and has not progressed near as much as Phaneuf.
Give your head a shake.

Now, I'd say that Phaneuf is a little ahead of Suter, but I wouldn't say he was "badly outplayed," as Suter was really the lone bright spot on an abysmal US WJC defense, and it's hard to talk about progress when Phaneuf is one of the best defensemen in the WHL and Suter is one of the best defensemen on the one of the best teams in the AHL. I say "progress" is pretty even, really.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Vinland said:
bruins4777 said:
Suter
Phaneuf
Coburn
Weber
Stuart
Seabrook
Belle
Burns
Ramholt

Give your head a shake.

I'd like to see Phaneuf do any better when paired with Jeff Likens. :shakehead

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Coburn
Suter
Phaneuf
Barinka
Ramholt
Seabrooke
Burns
Belle
Egener
Richmond
Ramholt
Stuart
Baranka
Weber
Smaby
Carle
Doherty
Liffiton

Something like that

Phanuthier*

Mobey said:
I'd like to see Phaneuf do any better when paired with Jeff Likens. :shakehead
You don't think Phaneuf could do a better job?

Now I'm pretty sure that Shea Weber is a better defense partner then Jeff Likens, but Dion Phaneuf vs. Jeff Likens or Ryan Suter and Jeff Likens, I think the former would do a better job.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
This was my personal ranking before I started the thread, but I've seen too little from most players, so that's why I'm asking you guys...

1) Dion Phaneuf (#9)
2) Ryan Suter (#7)
3) Braydon Coburn (#8)
4) Mark Stuart (#21)
5) Mike Egener (#34)
6) Brent Seabrooke (#14)
7) Shea Weber (#49)
8) Matt Carle (#47)
9) Tim Ramholt (#39)
10) Shawn Belle (#30)
11) Kevin Klein (#37)
12) Brent Burns (#20)
13) Michal Barinka (#59)
14) Ivan Baranka (#50)
15) David Liffiton (#63)
16) Danny Richmond (#31)
17) Matt Smaby (#41)
18) John Doherty (#57)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Splatman Phanutier said:
You don't think Phaneuf could do a better job?

Now I'm pretty sure that Shea Weber is a better defense partner then Jeff Likens, but Dion Phaneuf vs. Jeff Likens or Ryan Suter and Jeff Likens, I think the former would do a better job.

No one is trying to besmirch Phaneuf.

He's simply defending Suter...and the truth is, Suter wasn't "disappointing" like Vinland originally suggested. He played very well, but the fact that he had a partner that was literally incapable of covering his man at most times sometimes MADE *SUTER* look bad, simply for being on the ice...and to think that Phaneuf could have done the job of two d-men(as Suter was being asked to, really) is a little silly. All he's saying is that if Suter was paired with Weber...he probably would have looked a bit more impressive...and if Phaneuf was paired with Likens...he might have taken a bit of a drop. That's all.

bruins4777*

Suter was outstanding in the WJC. For one of the worst defenses in recent memories suter was better than most of the defensemen at the WJC. Offensively he was over a point per game and he did EVERYTHING HE COULD defensively. But one man, outside of bobby orr, cannot cover up for a guy as bad as likens when you have people like bergeron and crosby coming down on you.

Phaneuf and suter are very close to me. I put suter ahead of phaneuf because he showed that he can make a smooth adjustment to the NHL. Phaneuf probably would have been in the NHL right now if it wasn't for the lockout sure, but we dont know. I'm skeptical about phaneuf's translation to the NHL i think we might see another mike komisarek in some ways, while i feel phaneuf won't have nearly as many problems as komisarek, but he'll have issues dealing with speed and positioning, but we'll see. I simply put suter ahead due to the AHL. Also suggesting that phaneuf was way ahead of suter in every development aspect is a little over the top. Hype wise? no doubt

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
bruins4777 said:
Suter was outstanding in the WJC. For one of the worst defenses in recent memories suter was better than most of the defensemen at the WJC. Offensively he was over a point per game and he did EVERYTHING HE COULD defensively. But one man, outside of bobby orr, cannot cover up for a guy as bad as likens when you have people like bergeron and crosby coming down on you.

Phaneuf and suter are very close to me. I put suter ahead of phaneuf because he showed that he can make a smooth adjustment to the NHL. Phaneuf probably would have been in the NHL right now if it wasn't for the lockout sure, but we dont know. I'm skeptical about phaneuf's translation to the NHL i think we might see another mike komisarek in some ways, while i feel phaneuf won't have nearly as many problems as komisarek, but he'll have issues dealing with speed and positioning, but we'll see. I simply put suter ahead due to the AHL. Also suggesting that phaneuf was way ahead of suter in every development aspect is a little over the top. Hype wise? no doubt

I think comparing them is really difficult, and maybe that's why these arguments never seem to go anywhere. They're two different styles of defenseman, and each does something a little better than the other. Both are rock solid defensively, both play physically, and both are gifted offensively. However, Phaneuf holds the edge in hitting and I think his shot is more accurate than Suter's. Suter has better vision and skating. In the end, I'm thrilled to have Suter as a Preds fan, but I'd be thrilled to have Phaneuf, as well. Most Calgary fans I've spoken to echo the sentiment. Both are can't-miss guys, IMO.

bruins4777*

nomorekids said:
I think comparing them is really difficult, and maybe that's why these arguments never seem to go anywhere. They're two different styles of defenseman, and each does something a little better than the other. Both are rock solid defensively, both play physically, and both are gifted offensively. However, Phaneuf holds the edge in hitting and I think his shot is more accurate than Suter's. Suter has better vision and skating. In the end, I'm thrilled to have Suter as a Preds fan, but I'd be thrilled to have Phaneuf, as well. Most Calgary fans I've spoken to echo the sentiment. Both are can't-miss guys, IMO.
I agree with that as well. While suter can be physical, its far from his best attribute which is a ridiculously amazing hockey sense and poise. His feel and intelligence for the game is really something. But phaneuf's shot and hitting is really huge too.

Another thing that really made me like suter more was the fact that suter started off really rough and lots of preds fans were complaining about him, but he came back after that initial adjusting slump and has turned into one of their best dmen.

on a side note i'm a preds fan also...

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
mattihp said:
Coburn
Suter
Phaneuf
Barinka
Ramholt
Seabrooke
Burns
Belle
Egener
Richmond
Ramholt
Stuart
Baranka
Weber
Smaby
Carle
Doherty
Liffiton

Something like that

Now come on. How in the world is Coburn ahead of Suter and Phaneuf?

bruins4777*

saillias said:
Now come on. How in the world is Coburn ahead of Suter and Phaneuf?
while where at it why the hell is stuart ahead of weber and even that low in teh first place.

why is barinka no.4 and ramhold on twice?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Phaneuf
Suter
Coburn
Weber
Stuart
Seabrook
Egener
Burns
Klein
Baranka

There are guys missing, but those are the only ones I feel comfortable ranking.

I'm not a big Ryan Suter fan, but from what I've seen, he doesn't get enough credit from non-American hockey fans. I'm also a huge Dion Phaneuf fan, so it's hard for me to say this, but Phaneuf is not the best thing since sliced bread, and he's not significantly ahead of Ryan Suter, if at all. The amount of hype he gets here is ridiculous.

leafaholix*

John Doherty's stock is way down, as it should be since he decided to leave UNH.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
John Doherty's stock is way down, as it should be since he decided to leave UNH.
Why did he leave? Another AJ Thelen case?

Also, he's playing USHL now, that's not so bad.

leafaholix*

kremlin said:
Why did he leave? Another AJ Thelen case?

Also, he's playing USHL now, that's not so bad.
He wasn't getting the icetime for development, and decided to leave on fairly good terms.

Some UNH fans were shocked since he was their top defenseman in terms of skill, but limited icetime affected his ability to contribute to the Cats.

He'll suit up for Quinnipiac (NCAA) next season.

Extremely talented prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad