Rank Chiarelli's worst moves

Rank Chiarelli's move from worst to "still terrible but slightly better"

• Total voters

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You really think trading Strome was a worse move than trading Hall?

Not value wise, but the whole premise of the trades.
We traded Hall because we needed the depth on the blueline and Larson was a very solid top 4 d-man at the time and Hall was not a Hart trophy winner at the time. Actually Hall was nothing more than a selfish 1-way cherry picker of a hockey player at the time.
Strome was traded for someone everyone knew didn't even belong in the NHL and while Strome wasn't scoring, he was keeping the puck out of the net which was huge for us.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The funny thing is he is probably still the best GM the oilers had in the last 12 years :laugh:

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The funny thing is he is probably still the best GM the oilers had in the last 12 years :laugh:
Tough to say. Tambellini was told to blow up the team and wasn't really given a chance to build it back up. MacT was brought in just as things looked like they were about to get good. That was probably the plan all along. Let Tambellini be the face of the bad years and let MacT come in and save the day...except MacT couldn't build a team so it back fired.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The Reinhart one was the worst imho I'll explain my reasoning for why

- Trading Hall for Larsson
If the reports were to be believed, Eberle and Hall were out drinking too much and had bad attitudes. Not sure what I think of those rumours but it at least explains the why of the trade but doesn't excuse the fact that the return was low. I don't think people expected it to be as bad of a return as it turned out to be, there was hope that 22 year old Larsson would develop into a top pairing. You could argue that Hall only became a Hart winner because he left Edmonton but that ignores his point per game season in Edmonton

- Trading Eberle for Strome, and then Strome for Spooner
If you believe the reports of Eberle being trouble, the first Strome trade made sense. The return wasn't the worst Chia has ever done and could have turned out good. The Spooner trade though was awful but turning a 2nd line winger into a 3rd line centre into a 4th liner isn't even a top 10 Chia moment.

- Trading picks #16 and #33 for Griffin Reinhart
Everyone knew Reinhart was a bust at that point. A first round pick plus for a bust prospect had the potential to backfire horribly and it did. Adding Barzal or Chabot could have changed the face of the franchise easily but instead they walked away with nothing.

- Signing Lucic
Someone to protect McDavid with big time playoff experience and who was a big part of a Stanley Cup winning team? The logic was there, the homework definitely wasn't though. Was this his fault or was this the fault of his proscouts. The answer is yes to both.

- Signing Koskinen to a 3 year extension
Meh, I assume he'd given up at this point. As least they have a goalie? Pretty in consequential compared to his other blunders.

- Trading Cagguila (serviceable bottom 6 player and McDavid's long time friend) for Manning (healthy scratch in the minors at one point and a guy McDavid had a fued with)
Meh, losing a bottom 6 guy isn't huge.

Letting Brossoit walk.
Meh, that happens. I don't see him as a starter but who knows what happens with goalies. These things happen. Again poor scouts and poor goalie coaches.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's definitely Hall for Larsson because you don't know for sure that he takes Barzal. He's a moron, so he probably doesn't.

He had Hall on his team for sure.

Reactions: Bleedred

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
What a legend Peter is.

The Larson trade was pretty bad but larson has shown that he has a hammer shot and is pretty solid defensively. If he can become a 45-50 point d man that trade might not seem so bad in the future

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It's definitely Hall for Larsson because you don't know for sure that he takes Barzal. He's a moron, so he probably doesn't.

He had Hall on his team for sure.
i would usually agree on that stance, but there were a lot of really good players that became great NHL players at that draft spot almost immediately. there is also a huge difference between Larsson and Reinhart.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Again ...another clueless post.

He is the worst. The bottom of the barrel. The dirt that exists underneath the dirt.

The Oilers went from ok, to bad to hideous

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Definitely Cagguila, only trade where there wasn’t any upside or reason to do it. Should probably be the Seguin trade though.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks Eberle for Strome isn't that bad. Eberle is getting paid to put up 37 points and be a liability, Strome is half the price and in the 30 point range. Heck Eberle is having a similar season to last years Milan Lucic and he's the same cap hit. Giving up cagguila is worse in my mind especially considering contracts.

Reinhart was the worst
Hall trade 2nd

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Bad to worst.

1 - Trading a 1st and a 2nd for a prospect that showed all signs of being a bust pre-trade.
2 - Signing a goalie who had not yet played a full season in the NHL to such a huge extension.
3 - Trading a solid young shutdown center for an overpaid offensive winger who couldn't do anything right on either end of the rink.
4 - Trading your 1st line left winger for a #2 d-man who diminished into a #4 or #5 d-man in the 18/19 season.
5 - Signing a slow power forward for pretty much the exact amount of money TSN said he was going to sign for.
6 - Trading a depth forward for an overpaid d-man who had previously bragged about hurting your star player.
7 - Trading a top 6 winger with no drive for a 3rd line center.
8 - Letting a goalie who made Gump Worsley look like a GOAT walk

What an absolutely dumb take. I know you hate Hall but Strome for Spooner is a worse move than Hall for Larsson to you?! :laugh:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What an absolutely dumb take. I know you hate Hall but Strome for Spooner is a worse move than Hall for Larsson to you?! :laugh:

I don't hate hate Hall, but I really couldn't stand Eberle on the team.
You can't tell me Hall would have had the same season if he hadn't left Edmonton. He was getting complacent in Edmonton and Eberle lost all their drive the minute he signed his 2nd contract.
Hall and Eberle became very entitled players the minute we signed them to their 2nd contracts.

In Eberle's last two seasons with the Oilers it was so rare to see Eberle strip players of the puck, pressure puck carriers, do anything relevant in the defensive zone, intercept the opposition's passes and don't get me started on going in to corners, blocking shots or hitting because we always knew he was never that kind of player. Before he made the team he was heralded as Captain Clutch for his play in the world juniors and a lot of us thought we had our RW to replace Hemsky (talent-wise) but it turned out that Eberle didn't really care much about winning. He just wanted to have fun skating around with his friends while making millions of dollars.

Hall is a great player, but he was overly selfish in Edmonton. He didn't have the tool box to pull off what he was attempting to do in Edmonton. Only player that ever clicked well with him was Drai and it was surprising to actually see him setting someone up for goals for once, but it was too late. We had McDavid and we needed a culture change in the dressing room along with help on the blueline.

I think it was during Justin Schultz's second season under Eakins... we were so brutal. It was the season when Yakupov was pissed off that he wasn't getting any minutes and he refused to go back to the bench at the end of his shift and stayed on for 3-4 shifts. During that season when things were looking the most brutal you'd hear all this talk that our great leader of the future Taylor Hall had his buddies Hopkins, Eberle and Schultz and he'd never give any other players on the team the time of day. It was as if all of his other teammates were just temporary fixtures to him.

When Eberle and Hall left Edmonton they became better players over night. Eberle actually back checks and block shots now and Hall actually consistently makes use of the players playing with him for once. No way would it be reasonable to expect either of them to change like this if they'd never left Edmonton.

As for Strome for Spooner... Strome wasn't producing offense, but other than McDavid and whoever was on his line, NOBODY ELSE WAS. If you ignored all of the offensive stats Strome was looking awesome. It wasn't his fault that he wasn't given any snipers to play with. He passed the puck around very well on the 2nd PP, on the PK and at even strength but there was nobody for him to pass to. Chaison was on the 1st PP and our 5th best shooter in Kassian didn't start playing well to get his ass off of the 4th line until 2019.

Before Spooner played 2 games for the Oilers it was evident that he didn't belong in the NHL and it became increasingly difficult to give him 10 minutes of ice time per game, while you could afford to put Strome out for 15+ minutes a game without having to worry about burning your team.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
You could say (if you think backwards enough) that pretty much every one of those moves made sense except one..

Hall was traded to help on D which the Oilers were very weak in.

Eberle was traded for cap reasons they were gonna have to move someone

Lucic was brought to replace Eberle and be the thicc big boi of the team to protect McDavid after the manning incident the season prior.

They probably thought they can make something out of Reinhart since he was still young (even though he didn't give them much to really think that)

Koskinen played okay prior to the contract

Brossoit had mediocre numbers plus they thought Talbot would still be good.

Not defending these moves but you could say there was atleast a thought (albeit a dumb one) that went into those moves.

Caggiula for Manning though was a clear loss from the begining the Oilers traded one of the few players at the time who had more than 3 goals for a player that openly injured and mocked their star player. There was zero redeeming qualities of manning who was in the press box for pretty much the entire month of November and December. You could say that the trades above had some for of a purpose or idea but Cagguila for Manning was trading an NHL player for a healthy scratch.

Reactions: McRpro

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
It's so so crazy what he did. It's darkly comical. Like a Kafka short story.

To just take a wrecking ball to a team that was on the verge of breaking out long term.... as a Flames fan I'm happy but as a human being who can empathize with the city of Edmonton, It's really quite depressing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's so so crazy what he did. It's darkly comical. Like a Kafka short story.

To just take a wrecking ball to a team that was on the verge of breaking out long term.... as a Flames fan I'm happy but as a human being who can empathize with the city of Edmonton, It's really quite depressing.
Whats even worse is that Dorion and Bergevin actually rival him in suckiness

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Chia has had some bad ones but I could see the reasoning behind the Hall / Larsson
Eberle / Strome trades. The Lucic signing I get why he did it and I get why he traded picks for Reinhart.

BUT That Caggulia trade and absolutely insane re-signing of Koskinen just days before he was going to get canned are the worst imo. Everyone and their dog knew those were horrid moves yet a guy getting paid to run an NHL franchise made those decisions and the organization supported him. I wanted to renounce being a fan right then and there when I heard that Koskinen got signed to what he did.

Koskinen actually cost this team what little shot they had at making the playoffs down the stretch.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This should be 16 and 33 for Reinhart in a landslide.

Hall for Larsson is bad, but Larsson’s a good NHL defenceman. Reinhart isn’t even a good AHL defenceman.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Trading picks #16 and #33 for Griffin Reinhart

I remember watching the draft when that went down and thinking how awful that was, and in hindsight it sure lived up to that awfulness and then some considering Reinhart ended up being nothing and that pick could be a top line talent forward for them right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad