Rank Chiarelli's worst moves

Rank Chiarelli's move from worst to "still terrible but slightly better"

• Total voters

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
At least Hall returned a player. This one is one of the worst ever.

Trading picks #16 and #33 for Griffin Reinhart
There are only a handful of superstar talents in the league. They traded one for a replacement-level defender.

Sometimes what you got back isn't as important as what left.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
When we traded Strome to New York for a bum.
Strome was very rarely on the ice for goals against. His defense was as good as his offense was bad.
You really think trading Strome was a worse move than trading Hall?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
To think there is another GM in St. Louis taking advice from this clown.....

hotdam

Mar 26, 2010
Trading Hall AINEC. Worst trade in the modern NHL.

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
Could’ve had Kyle Connor or Thomas Chabot, both of whom would’ve fit well with the Oilers.
I doubt either one of those players would have turned into what they are now if the Oilers had drafted them. Oilers have drafted poorly and they have developed their prospects just as poorly.

In my opinion the worst is the Reinhart trade, then Hall - Larsson trade and signing Lucic. At least Lucic gave them one decent season.

I still believe in Koskinen, hopefully he can still become a decent starting G in Edmonton. Might not seem like a good move atm but definitely not one of the worst.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It's the Reinhart trade by far, AT LEAST Larsson still play in the NHL for the Oilers...

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Captain hindsight... it would have been Eriksson Ek/Svechnikov and Carlo

Blame them for Barzal but not for Aho.
Barzal and Aho with McDavid Hall and Drai could be a contending forward group. Daaaaaaaaaam

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Barzal and Aho with McDavid Hall and Drai could be a contending forward group. Daaaaaaaaaam

Canucks traded Debrincat and McCann for Gudbranson
Canucks drafted Tryamkin over Point

Debrincat and Point with Petterson, Boeser and Horvat could be a contending forward group.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It has to be GR for Barzal and Beau.

Firstly your pro scouting had to fail hard enough to think that Reinhart was a player so valuable that you would give up a massive return for.

Then your AM scouting had to fail hard enough to give up those picks in one of the best drafts of all time.

Finally the end result had to be PC flat out giving up one of the best young top line centers in the game today and a solid top 6 winger for absolutely nothing.

If anyone wanted to see how EDM managed to stay so bad with the best player in the world, that's how.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Koskinen by far

I notice the picks for Reinhart is winning and ill admit im not as familiar with that trade so maybe.

But:

Hall was going nowhere. They seemed loaded on offense. Larsson had upside. A lot of Oilers fans defended that trade when it happened and thought it would work out great. That trade didnt age well but it didnt appear as bad as time of trade according to many

Lucic was signed to a lot of money - but can anyone have predicted his play would dive as much? Its a bad signing but if he maitained his play before signing it wouldn't be as bad

Koskinen isnt as damaging a move maybe but its still by far the stupidest. Goalie has 0 nhl experience, is old, and no real major track record outside of NHL and is signed to a 3year contract worth roughly 3x his worth. This is by far the stupidest move to me.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Looking at those trades and I can't help but think Chia is an HFB armchair GM who will trade whatever player that no longer sparks joy for peanuts.

Yes, I Kondo'ed that shit.

The Lucic one is a mistake - but many other teams wanted to make that mistake.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Koskinen is definitely the weirdest one and still sticks out as a kind of organizational red flag for me.

He was somehow allowed to hand out that contract despite being on the hot seat at the very end of his leash... I just don't get it. And I doubt it was because Nicholson and company just weren't watching at all and were completely hands off.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
There are only a handful of superstar talents in the league. They traded one for a replacement-level defender.

Sometimes what you got back isn't as important as what left.
Very true... but in a historical draft even if they had drafted poorly they would have had two very good players most likely. Potential two superstars for a player who was already a bust.

I see both sides. Regardless, Chiarelli should never be employed by an NHL entity ever again.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
We should expand this to include his Bruins moves. I think the Seguin trade could be worse than anything he did in Edmonton, spare for the Lucic contract.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Its the picks, I know people are fond of saying "the Oilers didn't trade Barzal" but they kinda did. The draft had been hyped up all year as insanely deep and however you want to look at it they passed up a shot at a really good player for one in Reinhart, who was basically a bust already. At least Hall/Larsson comes from a rationale place, it was still really really really bad. And Lucic type mistakes are common enough I would not put it on par with the others.

As mentioned above the Seguin deal still holds its own with the worst things Chia has ever done, also worth noting I think the fact that he had already gotten absolutely bent over in the Seguin deal makes the Hall trade even worse...like how did he do it again?

Reactions: Crocoduck

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Canucks traded Debrincat and McCann for Gudbranson
Canucks drafted Tryamkin over Point

Debrincat and Point with Petterson, Boeser and Horvat could be a contending forward group.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
Agreed. It gives me headaches

Reactions: A91

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lets be real, they weren't going to take Barzal anyway, so if we assume they don't take one of a handful of studs, and they took a dud, then the Hall trade is by far the worst. They traded a known great player for Larsson, that's the worst.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Lucic contract. The Hall trade wouldnt be as bad if he had actually signed a contributing forward.

In order:

1) Lucic contract
2) Trading picks for Griffin Reinhart
3) Hall trade: there were lots of elements here, with some insiders reporting it was also to do with getting Hall out of the dressing room and away from McDavid
4) Koskinen signing: just why?
5) Manning trade: another bad contract for a guy you tried to waive and gave up a contributing bottom sixer?
6) Ebs trade: dont even mind the original trade as Ebs is a shell of himself at $6m for 2 years (expiring this year) and considering Strome is actually a good #3C but then you trade him for Spooner? 2nd part of the trade is the bad part.
7) Letting Broussoit walk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->