Rank Chiarelli's worst moves

Rank Chiarelli's move from worst to "still terrible but slightly better"

• Total voters

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Rank Chiarelli's move as the Oilers GM from worst to "still terrible but slightly better"

- Trading Hall for Larsson
- Trading Eberle for Strome, and then Strome for Spooner
- Trading picks #16 and #33 for Griffin Reinhart
- Signing Lucic
- Signing Koskinen to a 3 year extension
- Trading Cagguila (serviceable bottom 6 player and McDavid's long time friend) for Manning (healthy scratch in the minors at one point and a guy McDavid had a fued with)
Letting Brossoit walk.

I'm probably missing some. Feel free to add to the list.

As bad and high profile as some of those moves are, my vote goes to extending Koskinen.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Bad to worst.

1 - Trading a 1st and a 2nd for a prospect that showed all signs of being a bust pre-trade.
2 - Signing a goalie who had not yet played a full season in the NHL to such a huge extension.
3 - Trading a solid young shutdown center for an overpaid offensive winger who couldn't do anything right on either end of the rink.
4 - Trading your 1st line left winger for a #2 d-man who diminished into a #4 or #5 d-man in the 18/19 season.
5 - Signing a slow power forward for pretty much the exact amount of money TSN said he was going to sign for.
6 - Trading a depth forward for an overpaid d-man who had previously bragged about hurting your star player.
7 - Trading a top 6 winger with no drive for a 3rd line center.
8 - Letting a goalie who made Gump Worsley look like a GOAT walk

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Bad to worst.

1 - Trading a 1st and a 2nd for a prospect that showed all signs of being a bust pre-trade.
2 - Signing a goalie who had not yet played a full season in the NHL to such a huge extension.
3 - Trading a solid young shutdown center for an overpaid offensive winger who couldn't do anything right on either end of the rink.
4 - Trading your 1st line left winger for a #2 d-man who diminished into a #4 or #5 d-man in the 18/19 season.
5 - Signing a slow power forward for pretty much the exact amount of money TSN said he was going to sign for.
6 - Trading a depth forward for an overpaid d-man who had previously bragged about hurting your star player.
7 - Trading a top 6 winger with no drive for a 3rd line center.
8 - Letting a goalie who made Gump Worsley look like a GOAT walk

Am I just completely blanking here? I have no idea what this is referring to, even after going down the list of trades the Oilers have made under Chiarelli.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The picks for Reinhart deal was bad the day it was made, but it looks much worse with retrospect. Plus they were going to take Erikkson EK anyway, who isn’t Barzal (who they didn’t know would be available).

The Hall for Larsson deal was bad, but at Larsson is a valuable player (worth less than Hall, but valuable nonetheless).

The Eberle to Spooner trades were inexcusable. That’s turning a valuable top 6 forwards to an AHL forward within 2 trades. The worst value deal in my eyes.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Trading for and signing Kassian in 2015 was symptomatic for Chiarelli's whole tenure/stay in Oil Land.

It was so obvious he was stuck in some kind of 2011 big bad Bruins nostalgia that he didn't notice the whole league/game taking off at another speed track.

If Kassian was just a decent player he could have replaced Maroon or something.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Trading for and signing Kassian in 2015 was symptomatic for Chiarelli's whole tenure/stay in Oil Land.

It was so obvious he was stuck in some kind of 2011 big bad Bruins nostalgia that he didn't notice the whole league/game taking off at another speed track.

If Kassian was just a decent player he could have replaced Maroon or something.
Kassian isn't remotely close to Chai's worst move. It's probably one of his better moves actually, which is saying something.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
It's gotta be the Reinhart trade as the worst, I was stunned when that one went down. Saved Snow from himself there. Chia did that several times actually. Koskinen deal is easily the weirdest though. Why? What was the big rush? Why so early? And why?

Ranking:
-Reinhart trade
-Hall trade
-Koskinen deal
-Lucic contract
-Eberle/Strome trades
-Cagguila trade
-Borssoit walk

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Am I just completely blanking here? I have no idea what this is referring to, even after going down the list of trades the Oilers have made under Chiarelli.

When we traded Strome to New York for a bum.
Strome was very rarely on the ice for goals against. His defense was as good as his offense was bad.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I feel like the Lucic contract was the most egregious simply because any professional scout worth half his paycheck could tell you he deserved neither salary nor term at that point in his career. I could've told you that after watching half a dozen Bruins games while sitting on my couch drinking beer.

HM to the Seguin trade (obviously not while Oilers GM) just because I feel like Chiarelli talked himself into trading a 1st-line center on account of the legitimate belief in "playing the Bruins way", which is really just laughable in every sense of the word.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I feel like the Lucic contract was the most egregious simply because any professional scout worth half his paycheck could tell you he deserved neither salary nor term at that point in his career. I could've told you that after watching half a dozen Bruins games while sitting on my couch drinking beer.

HM to the Seguin trade (obviously not while Oilers GM) just because I feel like Chiarelli talked himself into trading a 1st-line center on account of the legitimate belief in "playing the Bruins way", which is really just laughable in every sense of the word.

The Seguin trade has to be the single worst move he’s made with the Lucic signing at a close second.

Wonder what organization he’ll destroy next :sarcasm:

Kuz

May 11, 2015
So many things done wrong. Could have had their forward core done with McDavid, Draisatl, RNH, Hall(same cap hit as Lucic) and Eberle. Then you would have your left side with Klefbom, Nurse and Sekera(not worth his contract any longer) and it would be all about fixing their right side. I could see a guy like Karlsson signing for a team like that. Forward core done. Left side of the defence done and with Karlsson the right side would be fixed. Right now Oilers should pray that Bouchard becomes a legit 1RD. Larsson is a fine defensive second pairing rd. Klefbom injury free and in shape is good enough to be the second best on a 1st pairing. Nurse should be okey on a second pair. While Sekera is solid on a 3rd pair. A lot of Oilers problems are a lot of injuries on their defenders.

Their defence isnt that bad. The problem is they have no depth up front.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Kassian isn't remotely close to Chai's worst move. It's probably one of his better moves actually, which is saying something.

Read my post again and you'll find that I never said it was the worst but that it was symptomatic of his GM tenure in Edmonton.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I went with signing Lucic. Oilers have cap problems and having 6mil less in cap space for an extended period in time is tough to swallow. The Hall trade was bad, but at least they got a second pair defender on a reasonable contract and at least in the Reinhart trade they didn't take any cap on.

Jun 15, 2007
Every move except the Manning move you can see the potential upside. They didn't work out and that's on him but they could've.

The Manning move is just ....????

Terrible move with no upside. Anyone who has watched him knows how terrible he is. Add in his history with McDavid and it's by far the most WTF move.

Reactions: Sacul

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Barzal and a 2nd for literally nothing

The Oilers walking home with McDavid and Barzal after the 2015 draft.. what could have f***ing been

Drai - McDavid
Hall - Barzal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad