Rank and File, Stars, SuperStars, Elite-Breakdown the current oiler healthy roster

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
say all players are healthy--no one is injured

Here the catagories

Elite-
SuperStars--
Stars
rank and File
Plumbers
pluggers
Pylons

Originally I was going to define what each ment to me--however as I was typing it would set the tone of the thread--instead I want the posters to rank the players in the catagories and explain why is i each catagory

this will give us a good view of how different posters view different players and why and how--we might not come to a consensus but I think we could build a good frame work as a board as to who stays who goes, who is expandable and who we just do not want

here is a list of ALL players in the organization who played atleast one games--Oldest to youngest break them down into their different catagories***age at start of season

Andrew Ference 36
Matt Hendricks 34
Adam Pardy 31
Adam Cracknell 30
Mark Letestu 30
Andrej Sekera 29
Nikita Nikitin 29
Lauri Korpikoski 29
Rob Klinkhammer 29
Cameron Talbot 28
Mark Fayne 28
Benoit Pouliot 28
Eric Gryba 27
Brad Hunt 27
Patrick Maroon 27
Luke Gazdic 26
Jordan Eberle 25
Anton Lander 24
Brandon Davidson 24
Zack Kassian 24
Iiro Pakarinen 24
Jordan Oesterle 23
Taylor Hall 23
Adam Clendening 22
Oscar Klefbom 22
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 22
Laurent Brossoit 22
Jujhar Khaira 21
Anton Slepyshev 21
Nail Yakupov 21
Griffin Reinhart 21
Darnell Nurse 20
Leon Draisaitl 19
Connor McDavid 18

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Like you said, it's gonna come down to definitions.

Also it like you don't want us to consider team need then.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Depends on what each individual visualizes the categories as. While someone like me might see Taylor Hall as an elite LW in the game, there are clearly others on this board that do not agree with me. There's too many variables in play here, and it's hard to quantify what exactly differentiates a star from say a superstar.

However, I do think we can all agree as a fanbase that we do not want certain players (McDavid, Talbot) to leave.

Ironhorse

Oct 23, 2004
I'll take a shot:

Elite-
SuperStars--
Stars
rank and File
Plumbers
pluggers
Pylons

Andrew Ference 36 Pylon (duh)
Matt Hendricks 34 Plumber (works hard, gets little accomplished most nights)
Adam Pardy 31 Pylon (not impressed at all)
Adam Cracknell 30 Plumber (little more impressed)
Mark Letestu 30 Rank and file (good at some things but get him OFF the PP, forever)
Andrej Sekera 29 Rank and file (expected more from him, better 2nd half)
Nikita Nikitin 29 Mega Pylon (I loathe him)
Lauri Korpikoski 29 Plumber (overpaid but serviceable player. currently playing way too high the line up)
Rob Klinkhammer 29 Pylon (Just no)
Cameron Talbot 28 Star (shake start to the season, has been in god mode since about game 30, smart re-signing. Such a long standing issue that now appears taken care of)
Mark Fayne 28 Pylon (do not want him on team next year)
Benoit Pouliot 28 Rank and file (overpaid but does the job when he feels like it. Stop taking so many stupid penalties)
Eric Gryba 27 Plumber (he's okay as a 6 or 7, we have missed him since he's been hurt)
Brad Hunt 27 Pylon (never was, never will be)
Patrick Maroon 27 Rank and file (love the size and the battle, want to see more)
Luke Gazdic 26 Pylon (days of his type are long gone)
Jordan Eberle 25 Star (playing with 97 that is, otherwise he's bumped down to rank and file. Someone needs to teach him to lift weights)
Anton Lander 24 Pylon (not happened at all for him this year)
Brandon Davidson 24 Star/Rank and file. Next year I feel he gets bumped to Star
Zack Kassian 24 Rank and file (want him back. Keeps his act together and he'll be a valuable piece)
Iiro Pakarinen 24 Rank and file (done well with opportunity. If you had everyone playing with his effort level we'd be much higher up the standings)
Jordan Oesterle 23 Plumber (potential for more, good with the puck and smart, good skater. Wouldn't be sad to have him on the team next year)
Taylor Hall 23 Elite (at the lower end of the spectrum. 1st half of the season no question he was elite. 2nd half has coasted and it shows in his numbers)
Adam Clendening 22 Pylon (reminds me of Jultz)
Oscar Klefbom 22 Star (just needs to stop getting injured)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 22 Star (lower end star)
Laurent Brossoit 22 I have no idea what he is. Looks great at times, totally lost at others)
Jujhar Khaira 21 Rank and file (uses size well and is physical. more seasoning and we might have a player)
Anton Slepyshev 21 Pylon (nhl games far before he was ready. hopefully confidence isn't permanently ruined, see: Yakupov, Nail)
Nail Yakupov 21 sigh Pylon (so much hope for this kid just now bereft of confidence. Tries so hard but does nothing, always wrong positionally, thought this was our Ovie light. Will never happen)
Griffin Reinhart 21 Plumber (prove me wrong kid, we gave up a lot for you)
Darnell Nurse 20 Star with training wheels. (When he has some size he's going to be such a beast)
Leon Draisaitl 19 Star (Reinhart do whatever he does this off season. Should be in the runing for rookie of the year were it not for managerial incompetence)
Connor McDavid 18 Elite (so Elite it's not funny, at the other end of the Elite spectrum as Hall. Kid is scary good, and when he figures the league out a little more will be unstoppable. My wife accuses my Connor obsession of being quote "creepy and disturbing." Note: she's not wrong).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Like you said, it's gonna come down to definitions.

Also it like you don't want us to consider team need then.

by defining who is what we wil then talk about what we need and we then can talk about who to trade for what we need

I do not have McDavid and Hall in the same catagory--McDavid is very special and we can see with him what current Elite standards will be used as the bech mark in the future

elite are guys who will be a threat for 80 to 100 pts and be magic on the ice--Hall has been healthy(if the oilers are to be believed) and he is a 60 pt guy--are 60 pt guys elite? Hall is at year six--and I know some will attack me for this but after 6 years I do not see him as a 30g 80pts threat and for the me to call a player elite--that is the starting point--McDavid healthy does that next year in year 2--for me that is elite

Last edited:

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
I'll try

Elite-
SuperStars--
Stars
rank and File
Plumbers
pluggers
Pylons

Andrew Ference 36 Pylon
Matt Hendricks 34 Plumber
Adam Pardy 31 Plugger
Adam Cracknell 30 Plumber
Mark Letestu 30 Plumber
Andrej Sekera 29 Rank and file
Nikita Nikitin 29 Pylon
Lauri Korpikoski 29 Plumber
Rob Klinkhammer 29 Pylon
Cameron Talbot 28 Star
Mark Fayne 28 Plugger
Benoit Pouliot 28 Rank and file
Eric Gryba 27 Plumber
Brad Hunt 27 Pylon
Patrick Maroon 27 Rank and file
Luke Gazdic 26 Pylon
Jordan Eberle 25 Star
Anton Lander 24 Pylon
Brandon Davidson 24 Rank and file (for now)
Zack Kassian 24 Rank and file
Iiro Pakarinen 24 Plumber
Jordan Oesterle 23 Plumber (for now)
Taylor Hall 23 Superstar
Adam Clendening 22 Pylon
Oscar Klefbom 22 Star (For now)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 22 Star
Laurent Brossoit 22 Rank and file (for now)
Jujhar Khaira 21 Rank and file
Anton Slepyshev 21 Plugger (for now)
Nail Yakupov 21 Plugger
Griffin Reinhart 21 Plugger (for now)
Darnell Nurse 20 Plugger (for now)
Leon Draisaitl 19 Star
Connor McDavid 18 Elite

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Elite
Connor McDavid

SuperStars
Taylor Hall

Stars
RNH

Very Good
Leon Draisaitl
Jordan Eberle
Oscar Klefbom
Darnell Nurse

Good in a role
Nail Yakupov
Cameron Talbot
Benoit Pouliot
Griffin Reinhart
Zack Kassian
Brandon Davidson
Patrick Maroon
Andrej Sekera
Matt Hendricks

Plumbers
Laurent Brossoit
Jordan Oesterle
Iiro Pakarinen
Lauri Korpikoski
Mark Letestu
Adam Pardy

Pluggers
Anton Slepyshev
Jujhar Khaira
Anton Lander
Eric Gryba
Mark Fayne
Rob Klinkhammer

Pylons
Adam Clendening
Luke Gazdic
Brad Hunt
Nikita Nikitin
Adam Cracknell
Andrew Ference

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Elite
Connor McDavid

SuperStars
Taylor Hall

Stars
RNH
Leon Draisaitl
Jordan Eberle
Oscar Klefbom
Darnell Nurse

Rank and File
Nail Yakupov
Cameron Talbot
Benoit Pouliot
Griffin Reinhart
Zack Kassian
Brandon Davidson
Patrick Maroon
Andrej Sekera
Matt Hendricks

Plumbers
Laurent Brossoit
Jordan Oesterle
Iiro Pakarinen
Lauri Korpikoski
Mark Letestu
Adam Pardy

Pluggers
Anton Slepyshev
Jujhar Khaira
Anton Lander
Eric Gryba
Mark Fayne
Rob Klinkhammer

Pylons
Adam Clendening
Luke Gazdic
Brad Hunt
Nikita Nikitin
Adam Cracknell
Andrew Ference

now this is how you do the list

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
The Lone Elite Player
Connor McDavid - This guy is now the face of the franchise and the more than likely the league soon enough. I personally tried to temper my expectations on this kid until I saw him playing against men, and wow, what a beauty. He doesn't even look at where he's passing anymore as he just knows where everybody is on the ice (very 99ish).

Superstar
Taylor Hall - I love his drive and determination. Honestly though, I thought he would be better and I think he has certainly underachieved. He's the one guy i hope we can keep when and hopefully turn the corner. lol. He had a great run mid season, so it sucks he couldn't keep it up.

Star
Jordan Eberle - He's a star. Unfortunately he doesn't have defensive awareness or a compete level. That's why he's the second most polarizing player on this team. Personally can't see Chia keeping him past the summer.
Leon Draisaitl - love his play-style and he still has a lot of room to grow.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - shade of his former self. but I still feel he can become an effective player once again.
Cameron Talbot - steady as f. Haven't had a goalie since Rollie in the playoffs?

Rank & File
Benoit Pouliot - absolutely hate his own goal tips and bad penalties.
Matt Hendricks - Need this type of player in bottom 6.
Andrej Sekera - shinpad hitting master.
Patrick Maroon - could probably use another one of these guys. This guy is the perfect complementary player that we have been lacking during these failed rebuilds.
Brandon Davidson - This guy has the potential to be a star at least. his projection skyrocket ten fold prior to that injury. Personally thought he looked like our best dman this season for a good two month period, even better than Klef.
Oscar Klefbom - tough career for this guy. always injured.
Nail Yakupov - guess I'm one of a few guys that still has hopes for this guy to succeed as an Oiler. lol. I still see a player here but whether or not he becomes one in an Oiler jersey or not, just hope he isn't a total bust. Even though I think he has the best shot on the team the guy literally is so hyper when the puck is on his stick. The bees chasing him analogy is hilarious.

Plumbers
Mark Letestu - can't blame him for being on the pp, that is all on the coaching staff... They're desperate for a RHS. and no he isn't on it for faceoffs, don't kid yourselves. Our lack of depth and balance has pushed this guy to play in spots he should be nowhere near.
Zack Kassian - could bring us more, but the guy is all over the place. still love the grit he brings. When he has crazy eyes, people need to watch out. lol.
Laurent Brossoit - rough few starts, but like we were seeing with Cam earlier in the season, the team in front of him plays different and hasn't given him the same effort. Still have high hopes for this guy even after those two ugly games.
Darnell Nurse - preferred if he were in the AHL refining his game. oh well. still so raw. Love his mean streak. Can't imagine how he will be when he gets man strength.
Griffin Reinhart - has looked pretty decent in past couple of weeks. Perhaps we can get a decent NHL player here. I really hope he can get on a good skating program this summer.

Pluggers
Eric Gryba - liked him this season, especially his game prior to injury, but easily replaceable.
Mark Fayne - while he has looked much better of late, those icings are almost always unnecessary and this guy has checked out lol.
Anton Lander - wtf happened to this guy
Lauri Korpikoski - eh.
Anton Slepyshev - got potential. Still looking for that one-time shot he has been capable of bombing.
Jujhar Khaira - decent callup. big bodied winger with potential.
Iiro Pakarinen - loved him all season. perfect 4th liner but a dime a dozen.
Jordan Oesterle - still need to see more of him to determine if I see him as a full time NHLer.

Pylons
Andrew Ference
Adam Pardy
Adam Cracknell
Nikita Nikitin
Rob Klinkhammer
Luke Gazdic
Brad Hunt
Adam Clendening

I italicized some guys because it's tough to gauge their abilities due to small sample size, or their potentials. Of course, the majority of them are defensemen and we all know dmen take much longer to figure out the game. I would prefer if those dmen played 250 games before I see what I have. So me putting guys like Nurse, Reinhart or Brossoit as Plumbers, it doesn't mean I think they're bums, because they have so much potential and room to grow.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
now this is how you do the list
Common sense, not to mention courtesy, would suggest that the op do his own list in the first post and show everyone how its done. Or just waiting for that consensus to roll in before committing?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Davidson keeps up his good play next season can we give him Rank and File?
If Klefbom stays healthy can we say he's a star?

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure if it's just me, but the different tiers aren't exactly easy to understand the meaning...

Just from reading others' lists, I assume Rank and File means an average player at their position in a decently higher-profile type role (top6/top4 type thing)? Plumber means hard worker on the way up/potential to be rank and file? Plugger means hard worker/only useful in certain low-profile situations? Pylon is pretty explanatory.

I will add a list later, just wanting to see if I'm thinking right about the tiers.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Common sense, not to mention courtesy, would suggest that the op do his own list in the first post and show everyone how its done. Or just waiting for that consensus to roll in before committing?

that would set the tone and start the defining of all the individual catagories and lets face facts--there is a good size number around here that would spend more time taking shots at the OP then actually moving the discussion--I will post my list shortly and you will see what happens

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Elite-
Connor McDavid 18

SuperStars--

Stars
Cameron Talbot 28
Jordan Eberle 25
Taylor Hall 23
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 22

rank and File
Andrej Sekera 29
Lauri Korpikoski 29
Patrick Maroon 27
Brandon Davidson 24
Zack Kassian 24
Iiro Pakarinen 24
Oscar Klefbom 22
laurent Brossoit 22
Nail Yakupov 21
Griffin Reinhart 21
Darnell Nurse 20
Leon Draisaitl 19

Plumbers
Adam Cracknell 30
Mark Letestu 30
Matt Hendricks 34
Benoit Pouliot 28
Eric Gryba 27
Jordan Oesterle 23
Adam Clendening 22

pluggers
Adam Pardy 31
Mark Fayne 28
Jujhar Khaira 21
Anton Slepyshev 21

Pylons
Nikita Nikitin 29
Andrew Ference 36
Rob Klinkhammer 29
Brad Hunt 27
Luke Gazdic 26
Anton Lander 24

For me Hall, nuge and Eberle are in the same catagory

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Elite/SuperStars

Seems a little weird to me that there is both an elite and superstar category. No player that qualifies as one will not also qualify as the other in this league.

Stars

Connor McDavid - Elite/Superstar potential obviously. Don't think he's quite there yet as he's still feeling out his way in the NHL, but it's highly likely he will be there as early as next year. It's a little scary to think about how good he'll be at his peak.
Taylor Hall - Team's best player this year, probably at or close to his peak. Just short of being elite despite being one of the best wingers in the game.

Rank and File

RNH - Can play a lot of minutes, tries on defense, and can put up some points, but not a particularly effective player overall. Overpaid for what he brings to the table, and being surpassed by centers with more raw ability and potential.
Leon Draisaitl - Star potential, and will probably achieve that level over the next two years.
Jordan Eberle - Borderline star player, but far too one dimensional. Reminds me of decent NHL scorers like Ryder from the mid-2000s. The type of player that can score 30, but never becomes super valuable to their teams because of their deficiencies.
Oscar Klefbom - Good player, may even be a top pairing D down the road. In danger of becoming a "what could have been" type player if he doesn't shake the tendency to get hit with season destroying injuries/illnesses.
Cameron Talbot - Good starting goaltender with the right mindset and worth ethic for the job. A player that can put in some spectacular stretches, which may make him one of the star goaltenders of the league when the defense is shored up.
Benoit Pouliot - Decent second/third line complimentary winger
Brandon Davidson - Looks like he might be a solid second pairing D.
Patrick Maroon - Solid 3rd liner with size who can move up the roster when needed
Andrej Sekera - Decent 2nd pairing option

Plumbers/Prospects

Laurent Brossoit - Getting a look, we'll see how he does. Likely will take some time
Jordan Oesterle - Looks decent in the late stretch, who knows what we have long term with this guy though.
Iiro Pakarinen - Decent 3rd/4th line option that is playing way too high up in the lineup due to the team's lack of depth.
Lauri Korpikoski - Solid 4th line guy
Mark Letestu - Solid 4th line guy
Darnell Nurse - AHL level player currently, but still has top pairing upside
Nail Yakupov - Playing out the string and badly in need of a new zip code. Solid chance he ends up in the KHL within two years if he doesn't mesh with his next organization.
Griffin Reinhart - Might become a 2nd pairing guy, needs time
Zack Kassian - decent 3rd/4th liner.
Eric Gryba - Decent bottom pairing D
Matt Hendricks - Solid 4th line guy.
Mark Fayne - Decent skillset, backed by a slow brain with little to no aggression, and a contract that is too expensive for this type of bottom pairing defenseman

Pluggers/Tweeners

Anton Slepyshev - Needs a lot of development time, and who knows if he'll ever see Edmonton again if he decides to get impatient about making the NHL when he has the KHL to fall back on.
Jujhar Khaira - Could become a 4th liner, but more an AHL level player right now
Anton Lander - Might be out of the NHL as early as this summer
Adam Pardy - Bottom of the roster fill-in. NHL Level, but not particularly valuable.
Adam Clendening - Classical AHL/NHL tweener
Adam Cracknell - Low event 4th line fill-in.

Pylons

Luke Gazdic - Not an NHL player
Brad Hunt - Not an NHL player
Nikita Nikitin - Not an NHL player, would have been out of the NHL two years ago if not for Mactavish
Andrew Ference - He's done
Rob Klinkhammer - Not an NHL player

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
elite vs superstar

Was Kurri/Robertaile superstars--yes--whre they elite? I do not think so

For me there is a line between Elite and Superstar

McDavid shows all the signs of being an elite player--pts per game and on the ice he is magic and special to look at--that for me is what an elite player is

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
elite vs superstar

Was Kurri/Robertaile superstars--yes--whre they elite? I do not think so

For me there is a line between Elite and Superstar

McDavid shows all the signs of being an elite player--pts per game and on the ice he is magic and special to look at--that for me is what an elite player is

I tend to go by the idea that superstar is the a superlative version of star, a star among stars so to speak. Crosby/Ovechkin are superstars in recognition, and elite by definition(best of anything considered collectively). Of course, this is a sports forum; ask 50 different people what they think superstar, star, or generational player means, and you'll likely get 50 different answers.

You left the definitions open, just commenting that they both kind of qualify as the same thing from my perspective.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Elite
Connor McDavid

Superstar
Taylor Hall

Stars
Cam Talbot
Jordan Eberle
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Leon Draisatl

Rank & File
Andrej Sekera
Benoit Pouliot
Oscar Klefbom

Plumbers
Matt Hendricks
Mark Letestu
Patrick Maroon
Brandon Davidson
Darnell Nurse

Pluggers
Lauri Korpikoski
Zack Kassian
Nail Yakupov
Griffin Reinhart
Iiro Pakarinen
Jordan Oesterle

Mark Fayne
Eric Gryba
Laurent Brossoit
Jujhar Khaira
Anton Slepyshev

Anton Lander

Pylons
Andrew Ference
Adam Pardy
Nikita Nikitin
Adam Clendening
Adam Cracknell
Brad Hunt
Rob Klinkhammer
Luke Gazdic

Italicized are players that have serious potential to move up.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Elite
Connor McDavid 18

Stars
Taylor Hall 23
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 22
Cam Talbot 28
Jordan Eberle 25

Rank and File
Leon Draisaitl 19
Oscar Klefbom 22
Benoit Pouliot 28
Darnell Nurse 20
Brandon Davidson 24
Andrej Sekera 29
Griffin Reinhart 21
Patrick Maroon 27
Zack Kassian 24
Iiro Pakarinen 24
Nail Yakupov 21
Laurent Brossoit 22

Plumbers
Matt Hendricks 34
Jordan Oesterle 23
Lauri Korpikoski 29
Adam Cracknell 30
Eric Gryba 27

Pluggers
Mark Letestu 30
Adam Pardy 31
Adam Clendening 22
Jujhar Khaira 21
Anton Slepyshev 21
Rob Klinkhammer 29
Mark Fayne 28
Anton Lander 24

Pylons
Nikita Nikitin 29
Andrew Ference 36
Brad Hunt 27
Luke Gazdic 26

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
How some of you are categorizing Nurse and Klefbom as stars already is pretty amusing.
The way I took it is where I see their spot within the organization. I do not think either of them are actually a star player as of yet, but I think both can be. If they both were three years further in their development curve, I think we'd be fighting for a playoff spot right now.

I'd probably have done the list a little bit different, namely those two, if did it based entirely on their current abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad