Rank all teams based on ability to develop prospects

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Florida is the worst, not even close.

I am shamelessly raising you the Montreal Canadiens. Since 2010 the Panthers got Huberdeau, Trocheck, Barkov, Ekblad, Weegar, Bjustad to name the biggest names they've produced in the NHL.

Montreal got Gallagher, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Mete in those years (Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, still very young)

You could argue that the Panthers got more/higher picks though, with Huberdeau/Barkov/Ekblad making the development better than it is. But, I don't follow the Panthers too closely, so I can't tell if they really messed up their earlier years badly.

Reactions: Newfoundland

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets have done a very good job of developing prospects...

Scheifele is the poster boy. He was a very underdeveloped C when drafted, but has been turned into a top C. He put in a ton of work, of course.

Other notables that developed well through the system.
Lowry
Copp
Connor
Ehlers
Morrissey
Roslovic
Poolman
Hellebuyck
Appleton
Harkins

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Good
Tampa
Winnipeg
Carolina
Washington (when you consider they haven't had a premium pick in the longest time)

bad
Arizona and Florida

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I am shamelessly raising you the Montreal Canadiens. Since 2010 the Panthers got Huberdeau, Trocheck, Barkov, Ekblad, Weegar, Bjustad to name the biggest names they've produced in the NHL.

Montreal got Gallagher, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Mete in those years (Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, still very young)

You could argue that the Panthers got more/higher picks though, with Huberdeau/Barkov/Ekblad making the development better than it is. But, I don't follow the Panthers too closely, so I can't tell if they really messed up their earlier years badly.
with how bad Galchenyuk is and him being a top 3 pick that's not an achievement

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Theres been articles on this and I clearly remember that Ottawa, Tampa and San Jose were all in a class of their own (according to whatever metrics were used for the study).

But that's not at all suprising. Speaking as a Sens fan, theres Ottawa drafted players all over the league right now (unfortunately a couple we would still like to have) and the Ottawa roster is normally very heavily built from within the organization.

In the next 5 years they will have a core of Tkachuk, Chabot, 2020 1st top 5 pick x 2, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, Brannstrom, L. Brown, Bernard Docker, Pinto, White and have at least 3 or 4 other very promising prospects (Thompson, Balcers, Abramov, Jaros). Yes I know they wont ALL work out, but my guess is that over 75% do.

And then picks...Just in 2020 the NYI 1st, (4) 2nds and (2) 3rds, in addition to the two top 5s of course.

Of course there will be all sorts of stones thrown and people will discredit Ottawa because of Melnyk... But the truth is that one of the top teams in the NHL at drafting and developing is about to posses the best and the deepest pool of prospects in the league after the 2020 draft is finished.

It will be really hard to argue against that, imo.

Reactions: abo9

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Toronto has surprisingly been very good. It looks like they got great value there last 2 drafts as well.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
San Jose should be near the top. They have done a pretty good job in elevating their guys and bringing in talent to enhance what they have. Vancouver has done a good job drafting and developing players, and the Bruins have done a great job of staying competitive through smart drafting and player development since 2005. Tampa's system has also produced some stellar players since 2010.

Since 2005 I'd rank Detroit in the bottom 10, maybe even bottom 5 of the league as they have not really developed many top 6 forwards and only 1 top 3 defenseman (Hronek) since then. Montreal has graduated a lot of prospects but don't have much success in recent years. Buffalo has also been pretty bad since the 2005 lockout. And outside of the first round Edmonton has been bad.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Marchand-Bergerin-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Bjork
Heinen-Studnicka-Kuhlman
Frederic-Kuraly-Blidh

Krug-Mcavoy
Grzekcyk-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton

All Bruins draft picks or undrafted NCAA signings who played for them this year except Kuraly who was a SJS pick but never played any pro games for them. Some Bruins draft picks/signings that are playing for other teams include, Seguin, Hamilton, Thornton, Lucic, Kessel, Vatrano, Accairi, Sobotka, Lidngren, Donato, Nate Thompson, Subban, Benning, Trotman, and Hutchinson.

Players drafted since 2000 that have retired or don't play in the NHL anymore include Andy Hilbert, Shaone Morrison, Alberts, Jurcina, Mark Stuart, Versteeg, Hunwick, Colborne, and Spooner.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->