Three Stars

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
What I’m saying is that the reality of the draft outside of the top-2 is that there’s a pretty strong likelihood that the scouts are going to get it wrong on a player picked in the first round, if the aim is to pick an “elite” player. And moving up to pick a player you like, whatever the slot, doesn’t change that likelihood one bit.

In the context of the conversation we were having about elite players, this absolutely applies. If you’re moving up to try to get a solid NHL player, the conversation is a little different.
I disagree we cant trade up to 2 or 3. If we can, its absolutely the right move. Even if it's 4 or 5 there are extremely talented players there and if tge nyr trade up and hit their mark... but i guess that's the biggest thing, will the player we could get be worth it? How high of a chance is it? I think it's high enough at 4 or 5 altho i could see why you'd disagree

At 2 or 3 im all in w no reservations

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The problem ends up being that this is a typical half-assed rebuild where we don't acquire elite talent.

We've done this a number of times. While Farabee is nice, he's not a gamebreaking player. This is just a typical New York Rangers move. We will "rebuild" with some nice young pieces and then spend money on free agents. What will end up happening is a middling team with cap problems that goes through the same process 10 years from now.

Rinse and repeat.

I've already seen this movie.

That is pretty much my concern.

Maybe they tried, but flipping Spooner would have been a nice move as he has helped them win some games. They probably should have sold more or at least flipped more for picks than they did. At this point the 10th pick range and whatever else they do is not very likely to get them that game breaking talent. No one is trading a pick that could garner game breaking talent, at least not with the foresight that it may turn into that.

So now what? For next season they take the good they have on the roster, use what they can not move, add some prospects, add a couple UFAs, go into next season, likely end up in playoff position (>~half the team are in that spot) at the deadline... then what, go back to renting and stuff?

I hate being so pessimistic, and I will certainly enjoy seeing them try to draft/develop some good players, will hope they get lucky and get some who end up far better than their draft slot, but it sure kind of looks like the route on the map is already highlighted.

Reactions: LGR92 and Phoicon

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Very real possibility.

I mean it's the Rangers so history may repeat itself. But before we slide into the nether regions just two things:

- What Gorton has said. He's going for it. Can't quote word for word, but he seems to be saying it's all on the table.

- It's early but to me at least I'm seeing some very different things from Chytil than prospects in recent years.

Hoping this time it will be different. We're gonna have a pretty good indication soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad