• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Giving up assets to move up in the draft doesn't seem like the best possible scenario for a rebuilding team. I'd like to keep as many picks as possible. Not to mention, we likely aren't going to be able to trade up far enough to get the elite talent in the draft.
I'd rather keep all the picks as well. But rumour has it we'll trade up. And I do think it is possible depending how the lottery shakes out.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
We drafted Brendl at 4 so you can get extremely untalented players at the top of the first round. I'm willing to back Gorts to trade all the first round picks.

If we are out of that top 8 I think we’re going to see a lot of movement. Maybe it turns into a blessing if we lose the lotto and don’t crack that top 8. Gorts might go wild and get into the top ten twice. Which would be nuts, especially if he managed to keep one of those later firsts or somehow acquire another.

So many different scenarios which can play out for sure.

4/28/2018

Reactions: Ori

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We can trade up to the top 6 or 7 and snag one of the great d men up there imo then maybe trade to the mid round and grab a later forward like Farabee. Walking away with Bouchard/Hughes and Farabee would be a good first round

Reactions: Ori and Rongomania

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
recap of our season

udtank-jpg.1071172

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Well, look on the bright side.

We didn’t pull a Calgary and trade our first in a season where it’s a lottery pick.

And so long as we don’t somehow drop further in the draft, I’d be happy to have Joel Farabee join our ranks.

Like you’ve said, who knows what anyone’s board looks like. Some players may fall, some may rise. I want high end picks.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
We aren’t going to have a better shot at getting that player at 7th than 10th.

I would like to finish at least 9th though. The difference in lottery odds between 10th and 9th is bigger than any until you get to the top 3.

But either way, it’s not like the team is playing well. 10 points in their last 10. Except for the Islanders, who have been much worse, no team below us has gotten less than 6 points in that span. 5 of them have 8 or more.

In other words, every team in the bottom 10 is bad. It’s not worth worrying about.
Except packaging 7 with (insert plus here Zucc, late 1st, etc) gets you closer to Top-3 right? That's what I would like and I know it's a pipe dream.

I don't care how we do it but we NEED ELITE on this team. Badly. And by that I don't mean going crazy over Tavares or Karlsson.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We grabbed Chytil at 21 so you can get extremely talented players throughout the first round. I'm willing to back Gorts to really nail at least 2 of those 3.

I think people need to step off cloud 9 when it comes to Chytil. He's good, but he's still a long-shot from being a 1st line center.

Reactions: Siddi

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Except packaging 7 with (insert plus here Zucc, late 1st, etc) gets you closer to Top-3 right? That's what I would like and I know it's a pipe dream.

I don't care how we do it but we NEED ELITE on this team. Badly. And by that I don't mean going crazy over Tavares or Karlsson.

Nobody is going to trade a top-3 pick and nobody is going to trade a lottery pick before the lottery. The Rangers have to win the lottery with THEIR pick or it isn't happening. The only exception to that is if someone like Florida or Calgary win the lottery and want to leverage that high pick to improve their chances for next season.

Moving up in the draft from number 10, unless it's into the top-3, which as I said, isn't likely to happen, isn't going to increase your chance at elite talent. In the 20 years between 1991 and 2011, out of 140 draft choices 4-10 overall, THIRTEEN players have either finished top 10 in points, goals, or points among D during a season. 9%. That's it and that's a super low bar. Corey Stillman and Jeff O'Neill are among those 13. As many have done it as the 7th pick as the 4th. More have done it as the 5th pick than any other slot and no one at 8 or 10. And honestly, picking 3rd isn't any better, but since it's a lottery pick I didn't include that.

And that doesn't even get into the slight gambler's fallacy about any of this. None of those "probabilities" apply to individual players.

The point is... let's not make a trade to move up. It isn't really worth it. The real key to the draft, in my opinion, is quantity of picks. I'm not interested in any trades that reduce the number of picks we have except in one situation. That situation would be where someone wants to trade us a high quality 21-23 year old for a veteran and a later first. Something like Pesce or Hanifin for Zuccarello and Boston's 1st. Otherwise, keep the picks we have an add to them.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I think people need to step off cloud 9 when it comes to Chytil. He's good, but he's still a long-shot from being a 1st line center.

The hype surrounding Chytil the last couple games have been insane. I understand the excitement everyone feels about him but it has gotten to a point where even a failed dangle from the kid leads to mass orgasms on this board.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The hype surrounding Chytil the last couple games have been insane. I understand the excitement everyone feels about him but it has gotten to a point where even a failed dangle from the kid leads to mass orgasms on this board.

Exactly. I love Chytil. I really do, but I am also aware that the chance of him being a true 1C by HFNYR standards, is slim.

He has a long way to go in his development.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
1 McDavid isn’t worth more than 3 40-50 point players? Seriously?

That’s ridiculously wrong.

Maybe he is, but that is not my point, and there are no McDavid in the 2018 draft. It`s a huge risk to trade 3 * 1st for a top #3 pick wich might turn out to be an elite talent. But if Gorton have many years as GM sure go for it. My brief point it`s a huge risk for a big reward like an elite talent which we need so. It`s not an easy decision which is my point.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Honestly I’m starting to get annoyed with all these tank comments. We weren’t too far out of the playoffs when we started trading all our players. Anyone expecting the team to all of a sudden lose every game and get to the bottom 5 were pretty unrealistic

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Except we don't need good players... we need elite and getting those later is a complete crap shoot but whatever.

Some of us feel one way and others another way and we won't agree. Ever.

Doubt you'll get him at 7. You need to finish bottom 3 and we just aren't bad enough to finish that low.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You don't think he's extremely talented?

He is definitely talented. But seeing people already penciling him in as our first line center is too much. He's 18 and has a long way to go. He has had a good first year in NA but he needs to build on this.

He isn't ready yet to play in the NHL full-time. He has to improve on his defense and face offs most of all. He was good in the AHL, but he wasn't dominating.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Honestly I’m starting to get annoyed with all these tank comments. We weren’t too far out of the playoffs when we started trading all our players. Anyone expecting the team to all of a sudden lose every game and get to the bottom 5 were pretty unrealistic
At the time the hope was for someone like Bouchard at 7/8 or by some miracle if Boqvist slipped. Neither of those are happening. Its been tough rooting for the only team in sports i care about this much to lose for the first time in my life. Don't think I can do it again next year. Lets hope for some home run picks at 10, 25 and 28/29/30 in the first round.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He is definitely talented. But seeing people already penciling him in as our first line center is too much. He's 18 and has a long way to go. He has had a good first year in NA but he needs to build on this.

He isn't ready yet to play in the NHL full-time. He has to improve on his defense and face offs most of all. He was good in the AHL, but he wasn't dominating.

You must be fun at parties.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Well, look on the bright side.

We didn’t pull a Calgary and trade our first in a season where it’s a lottery pick.

And so long as we don’t somehow drop further in the draft, I’d be happy to have Joel Farabee join our ranks.

The problem ends up being that this is a typical half-assed rebuild where we don't acquire elite talent.

We've done this a number of times. While Farabee is nice, he's not a gamebreaking player. This is just a typical New York Rangers move. We will "rebuild" with some nice young pieces and then spend money on free agents. What will end up happening is a middling team with cap problems that goes through the same process 10 years from now.

Rinse and repeat.

I've already seen this movie.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The problem ends up being that this is a typical half-assed rebuild where we don't acquire elite talent.

We've done this a number of times. While Farabee is nice, he's not a gamebreaking player. This is just a typical New York Rangers move. We will "rebuild" with some nice young pieces and then spend money on free agents. What will end up happening is a middling team with cap problems that goes through the same process 10 years from now.

Rinse and repeat.

I've already seen this movie.

Very real possibility.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Why are we still trotting out Lundqvist, then? We don't have a single reason to play him. He's talented enough to steal us games down the stretch.

It's really just bad coaching/management. AV is playing for his job and we are allowing him to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->