Rangers will enter Draft Lottery (4/28) 8th overall

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Trading up is almost always a bad idea unless the price is super low. The draft, in all honesty, is a crapshoot half the time so the more picks the better. Quantity is always better than quality especially at the start of a rebuild
The players at 1-4 are not a crap shoot, after that it becomes dicey.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Wonder how much of a factor readiness will play into the first pick? In other words, trying to speed up the rebuild by picking players who are further developed. Hope not .

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
And what would it cost to get into there barring a draft lottery win. 2 firsts and a second? All three firsts? The top four this year looks great but if moving from 8 to 4 or 3 costs us two high picks like that it's not worth it.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If we don’t luck into a lottery win, trading up to 1-3 is probably unrealistic. From 8 to 4-5-6 is realistic. May depend on who is available where. The Rangers have the capital necessary to move up if they can find a willing partner. While I wouldn’t throw Dahlin back, I’d be perfectly happy with the second or third picks. Look what Laine has done for Winnipeg.

I think a trade into the teens for an additional pick is very likely. Many more potential partners are available here. The Rangers need a draft like the Coyotes had in 2016; an offensive star and a defensive star.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What do you guys think it costs to move from 8 to 6 or 4? I'm guessing something in the neighborhood of a 2nd rounder to move up two spots? What's the price tag for jumping all the way to 4?
I don't think anyone is moving down from 4, and no one will.move down from 6 if someone calls that shouldn't

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Trading up is almost always a bad idea unless the price is super low. The draft, in all honesty, is a crapshoot half the time so the more picks the better. Quantity is always better than quality especially at the start of a rebuild

I disagree trading up is important to get a player who is significantly better than what would be left when it is your turn to pick.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I disagree trading up is important to get a player who is significantly better than what would be left when it is your turn to pick.
They couldn't trade up last year in a worse draft, and with better draft capital. I am extremely skeptical they can go up.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
But are they always significantly better though?
Did Columbus make the wrong move in 2015 not moving up to four to take Hanifin and instead drafting Werenski at 8?
There are always good players out there, just look at some of the best players in the 2015 and 2016 drafts and some of the best picks in 2017. It just depends on your scouting team being good and a bit of good luck/good development for it to go well. You know what helps increase those odds, by having more picks.

Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I will say this - sometimes the best move really is no move at all.

Don’t get me wrong, there are times you feel highly confident in a guy and you have to go for him.

But you also have to be careful about getting too caught up in the pre-draft and draft day frenzy. It’s not to say that some of these kids won’t be studs. But you also run the risk of the projections taking on a life of their own.

What could be a very good second pair defenseman starts to become a first pair prospect. Likewise a first pair prospect starts to become a franchise prospect. You just have to be a little careful.

Reactions: Bozle

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
some quickies, it's a busy wk

Zuc + NJ 2018 2nd
to Dallas for 2018 1st, Chicago 2018 4th, Pitlick, Stars 2019 2nd

Buch for Chicago 1st if it is 7OA or better

Deal Spooner/Namest. as combo or singularly, w/adds if nec., for best return(s)

there will be no chance to trade for Dahlin, hope we get him
consider what picks other than ours/Chicago's can be used to move up; consider how high this goes if Skjei/Andersson are included.

Hope is we get 1-2 difference makers

bad contract + swap:
Darling + McKeown for Smith + Georgiev
our G guru rehabilitates Darling, who we move next year
Smith becomes Canes' headache to rehab
RD for G prospect swap

give Boo a chance w/Kreider-Zib, worst that can happen is no chemistry and he goes to 4C
otherwise fallback 1C is Chytil

Kreider - Nieves/Chytil - Zib
JVR* - Hayes - Neal*
Grabner - Nieves/Chytil - Fast
Vesey/Gropp - Pitlick - Lettieri
* = overpay 1-2 years only without restriction to trade
Howden once ready
consider Day as LW if LD is too deep

LD - if no Dahlin, stopgap
DeHaan
Staal [til moved]
Rykov, Lindgren, Hajek

RD - Shatty, Pionk, DeAngelo, Bigras or other

does not reflect any others in trades
anticipates all picks other than Dahlin go to farm for year

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Who do you have at 4, Tkachuk? Do we really know for sure that he will have a better career than Boqvist? He may have a higher floor, but Boqvist could have a higher ceiling, no?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I’d be interested in signing a guy like Stewart, Kulemin, or de Haan to 1 year deals and seeing if we can salvage value at of then at the deadline.

Absolutely. Those are the only deals we should be making. Cross your fingers that they rebound and then move them at the deadline to a contender.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If they are sitting at 9 or 10 in the draft, I would highly suggest they trade Buchnevich to move up to 4 to 6 if possible. If Tkachuk is sitting there, then do it at all costs. Not a fan of his game. I'm sure other GM's out there are. To me, he doesn't fit what Gorton traded for at the deadline and drafted last year with Chytil and Andersson.

If they had to give up the 9th, Buchnevich and say Day. I'd still do it. Not sure Montreal would. However, Montreal isn't exactly a team for patience. If they are sitting there at 4, they might bite on that.

No thanks to trading Buch.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
1-Sabres
2-Ottawa
3-Arizona
4-Habs
5-Detroit
6-Vancouver
7-Hawks
8-Rangers
9-Edmonton
10-Islanders
11-Canes
12-Islanders(Calgary)
13-Dallas
14-Blues(Lottery protected top 10/Flyers)
15-Panthers
16-Avs
17-Devils
18-Columbus
19-Flyers
20-Kings
21-Sharks
22-Ottawa(Pittsburgh)
23-Ducks
24-Minnesota
25-Toronto
26-Rangers(Boston)
27-Blues(Winnipeg)
28-Caps
29-Red Wings(Vegas)
30-Rangers(TB)
31-Chicago(Nashville)

I can see Pittsburgh,Flyers or Columbus coming out of Metro and their pick becomes a bottom 4 pick. Can’t trust the Caps. One of the 3 teams from California comes out of the Pacific. That pick goes into the bottom 4. The Tampa or Boston pick would move up 2 spots in that scenario. Nashville comes out of the Central. Who wins the Atlantic? Boston-Toronto series will be a tough series. If Toronto comes out of the Atlantic,the Boston and TB move up 3 spots if Non-Caps,California team and Toronto reach the final 4.

Nashville wins the Cup. Rooting for Tampa and the Rangers get another #1 in 2019.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Wonder how much of a factor readiness will play into the first pick? In other words, trying to speed up the rebuild by picking players who are further developed. Hope not .
We already did this by picking Lias imo. It was said he was the most physically mature at the time out of the players drafted at his pick and later. Even some before him.

We need to take talent with this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->