3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Brendan Smith looks much better as a defenseman than as a forward.
Smith has a couple surprisingly good defensive stats, specifically breaking up and preventing zone entries. I read a theory somewhere that Quinn moved him to forward because they play a defensive system that is designed to concede the blue line, and Smith is good at preventing exactly that lol.

Reactions: Phnxldr

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Are we now complaining about defenders being too physical? Our one guy who shows snarl, can have the opposition think twice about trying to enter our zone with speed and puck control, who can actually stand up for himself and teammates (Lindgren is a bit small and TDA is more an after the whistle type of guy)? AND he stood up to Minny's tough guy act last night when they started throwing their weight around and single-handedly gave it back to them with interest- that is now a detriment???

Was not talking specifically about this game, I was listing his physically as a positive attribute with the caveat sometimes overly, meaning he sometimes will take it a little too far where he is the only one who gets the penalty. Last night that was not the case as they were matching minors. So to answer your question I was not complaining about him being too physical in last nights game.

Reactions: romba

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
99% of them wouldn't even go that long imo

I agree, I just think they won’t go for it due to travel reasons. If NHL reduced number of back to backs, maybe by ending the season in mid-April maybe PA would allow continuous 3v3 which in turn imo should eliminate the OTL point. But, that’s another discussion entirely.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Huge win for our playoff hopes. Now only 6 points back from the 8 spot with two games in hand. Will be interesting to see if Igor can steal some games for us against some of the better teams coming up. Don't expect a win in Boston but Columbus is doable

We are 9 points back. Columbus and Philly both have 71. That is who we have to catch.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Was not talking specifically about this game, I was listing his physically as a positive attribute with the caveat sometimes overly, meaning he sometimes will take it a little too far where he is the only one who gets the penalty. Last night that was not the case as they were matching minors. So to answer your question I was not complaining about him being too physical in last nights game.
Fair enough. He hasn't been too egregious with being overly physical this year and its refreshing to finally dish out what we've been force fed for years, that is all.

Reactions: Off Sides

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
nervously waiting for updates from practice and the status of ADA...the worst part if he is hurt is that it might have been the most beautiful defensive play he's made yet and gets hurt on it

Reactions: Kovalev27

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Fair enough. He hasn't been too egregious with being overly physical this year and its refreshing to finally dish out what we've been force fed for years, that is all.

I like Physically, I think I'm pretty old by HF board standards, like I used to watch when bench clearing brawls were still a thing. It really was not until I learned about the head injury stuff that went on where I became less enthralled with it, and to be honest I think the entertainment/emotional attachment somewhat suffers from a lack of physicality, yet again I get why some of it had to be taken out, it's a fine line.

That said I think the Rangers need some more of it, whereas Trouba does bring some of that.

(I feel like I am being mixed up with those who really dislike Trouba, I am much more on the fence where I see both positive and concern)

Reactions: romba

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Brendan Smith is a dman. I think he’s an idiot a lot of times on the ice but our entire defense has looked dumb at times over the past couple seasons. I can’t wait till he’s gone but he’s fine back there for the most part.

maybe management says we really need to find an extra 3 or 4 mil to sign Kreider. We’ve got Smith we’ve got Staal playing fine Lindgren has been good we’ve got Rykov and HAJek not great but they’re ready to play and Miller turns pro next year. Maybe we can move Skjei sooner than we thought to make it work.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Brendan Smith is a dman. I think he’s an idiot a lot of times on the ice but our entire defense has looked dumb at times over the past couple seasons. I can’t wait till he’s gone but he’s fine back there for the most part.

maybe management says we really need to find an extra 3 or 4 mil to sign Kreider. We’ve got Smith we’ve got Staal playing fine Lindgren has been good we’ve got Rykov and HAJek not great but they’re ready to play and Miller turns pro next year. Maybe we can move Skjei sooner than we thought to make it work.

Sometimes you have to pinch yourself because the eyes can be deceiving, but Staal has actually been solid for about 2 months now. His reduced minutes at 5v5 and being deployed as a #6 have made him much much better.

It only took forever to finally put him out there in these kinds of minutes, and it is paying off.

Playing him with DeAngelo works. It's funny because there are tons of situations where I'm expecting DeAngelo to go D2D, but he doesn't because it is Marc Staal. In the end, he makes a much better play than that and Staal gets to go about his business. The reduced minutes is probably keeping him fresher from game to game, so there is no significant drop off in play from one game to the next.

Reactions: 17 others

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m bracing for losing tony the rest of the season. Totally reminded me of the Jagr shoulder injury

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Smith has a couple surprisingly good defensive stats, specifically breaking up and preventing zone entries. I read a theory somewhere that Quinn moved him to forward because they play a defensive system that is designed to concede the blue line, and Smith is good at preventing exactly that lol.
That's a ridiculous theory. They were conceding the blue too much earlier in the year because they were playing tentative crappy hockey not because the system is designed to 'concede the blueline'. That sounds like Quinn haters justifying their hate. Conceding the blue line would also be called 'tanking' in today's NHL.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That's a ridiculous theory. They were conceding the blue too much earlier in the year because they were playing tentative crappy hockey not because the system is designed to 'concede the blueline'. That sounds like Quinn haters justifying their hate. Conceding the blue line would also be called 'tanking' in today's NHL.
Lol I don’t dislike Quinn at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad