3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I just don't see the same things others seem to see in Trouba, I mean I do to see some of it, he is decent, he can move the puck somewhat, he has a hard shot, he plays physical (sometimes overly), other than that I guess I just don't see it regardless of who he is paired with. Skjei was bad tonight, but I am not just basing my opinion on tonight or when he is only pared with Skjei.

I understand he is youngish, a RD of a type that is not easy to find league wide, even with what I think are his shortcomings. Yet I guess again, I just don't see anything, (for the lack of a better term, or a more in depth explanation) anything dynamic there.
Well, I guess it comes down to what you’re looking for when you talk about “dynamism.” I only ever expected him to be a big, mean, nasty #2D who brings solid offense given his game. And he has absolutely lived up to that expectation. He’s not, however, (and I never expected him to be) a #1. His game plays amazingly welll next to a true #1D, or even another #2, but put him with a 2nd pairing guy like Brady, and it doesn’t work well, because either a) he’s left playing the complementary role to a guy who’s wholly unsuited to be the lead dog, or b) you’re asking him to play a slot above his natural position in the lineup with an inferior partner supporting him, thus playing both of them out of position.

Hits dynamism lies exactly in the kind of play @Jim Ramsay described above. If that’s what you’re expecting (and it’s something this team has desperately needed since prime McD), you’ll not be disappointed; if you’re expecting a RH Josi or Hedman, then you will be.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I have been sympathetic toward Buchnevich but I agree. He’s showing a lot more ‘life’ lately.
The thing with Buch is, I don't want him to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's *really* hoping makes it happen. I want him to be the guy in the rated R movie you're not sure whether or not you like yet. You're not sure where he's coming from.
I want Buch to be the bad man.
Solid movie reference. (Though of course, in the end, Mike gets the girl by just being himself, and not listening to Trey’s advice.) :)

Reactions: egelband

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Another thing is I feel he gets wrongfully criticized about character, he just has resting Buch face but if you watch him interacting with teammates, in the room, those promo videos, etc he has a ton of personality and is a total goofball. He forechecks as hard as anyone on our team but people rarely talk about it, and I could've sworn he cleared the puck like 3 times in the final minute tonight

You are probably right about being overly criticized because of his RBF, but the last few weeks or so he has been WAY more consistent in the dirty areas of the games. Taking more hits to make plays, constantly pressuring on defense (all though he has been better about this aspect all season i think for the most part), and as you noted on the forecheck.

And the results show.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Huge win for our playoff hopes. Now only 6 points back from the 8 spot with two games in hand. Will be interesting to see if Igor can steal some games for us against some of the better teams coming up. Don't expect a win in Boston but Columbus is doable

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Btw... I can't believe how good Fox is already. Absolutely nothing about his game that screams rookie... Just solid in every facet. He's going to be a top 10-15 D-man throughout his career. And that's being conservative

While tanking and getting a top 5-10 pick would be nice, I think I'd much rather these guys somehow sneak into the playoffs and get a taste of post season play.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Well, I guess it comes down to what you’re looking for when you talk about “dynamism.” I only ever expected him to be a big, mean, nasty #2D who brings solid offense given his game. And he has absolutely lived up to that expectation. He’s not, however, and I never expected him to be, a #1. His game plays amazingly welll next to a true #1D, or even another #2, but put him with a 2nd pairing guy like Brady, and it doesn’t work well, because either a) he’s left playing the complementary role to a guy who’s wholly unsuited to be the lead dog, or b) you’re asking him to play a slot above his natural position in the lineup with an inferior partner supporting him, thus playing both of them out of position.

Hits dynamism lies exactly in the kind of play @Jim Ramsay described above. If that’s what you’re expecting (and it’s something this team has desperately needed since prime McD), you’ll not be disappointed; if you’re expecting a RH Josi or Hedman, then you will be.

I have watched him play back on the Jets too, It's not that I totally dislike his game, he can play that sort of calming role you are talking about, often against the other teams better players.

Two years ago, playoffs for example, he was very good in that role in one series, not so much the next. Last year smaller sample size yet similar stuff in my opinion. Sort of much like I think we see, Jets too would have rather of had Buff or even Meyers play in certain situation and that went beyond just when they needed offense.

He is a good choice for any defensive situation, up in score, PK, yet I think it becomes a much tougher choice to play him when the team is down in score, on the PP, or even 5on5 if they are pushing for offense if they have any better options for those situations.

In the playoffs in a match-up situation against the other teams better players 5on5, Rangers are leading, I'd take that yet still have some level of unease as in the past it came at the cost of his puck moving game where the Jets better forwards were not as often getting those break out passes from him, nor was he skating it out with any consistent authority.

As far as team building goes, if Trouba were a UFA this summer, now that they've seen Fox, DeAngelo, see Keane in the AHL as a lower pair possible option, and are getting good reports about Lundkvist, would the Rangers sign him to the contract they did or would they maybe look to either of those prospects, size be damned, or look for someone less cap hit expensive who has the size, PK traits going forward? Maybe find a way to spend that cap space on a LD instead?

I kind of think over the years the Rangers saw the shortcoming in their RD and they sort of fell in love with the idea of Trouba playing above Girardi, and probably tried to acquire him over that span, once he became available they sort of jumped the gun given where they were in the rebuild.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I'm hoping with Trouba there's still some growth left given he's only 26. At the least solidifying his defense a bit. Can't say I'm not a little disappointed with his so far but part of that is due his cap hit. I'd still take him over Pionk most nights

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
After the draft results of the past two years, IMO, it’s pointless to worry about wins. Hell, even missing out on the Stars 1st last year likely didn’t change the Rangers’ selection. This first round is deep. Alex Newhook, the apple of so many eyes here, went in the middle of the 1st. I think the Rangers are going to fall short of a playoff spot, but, I’m letting the chips fall where they may.

And, the truth is, right now, the success of this rebuild is most likely going to rest on the development of three players - Chytil, Kakko and Kravtsov. Getting another lottery win would be sweet, but, truth is, there’s a lot of quality skill already here. A little time and patience is what’s needed in that area.

Frankly, the biggest needs are the left side of the defense and filling out the bottom six. At this point, what’s best for this team going forward IS learning what it takes to win. Gorton has put together a large arsenal of assets to trade for the right players that fit the puzzle as they become available...something he’s already shown a willingness to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Huge win for our playoff hopes. Now only 6 points back from the 8 spot with two games in hand. Will be interesting to see if Igor can steal some games for us against some of the better teams coming up. Don't expect a win in Boston but Columbus is doable

They have 5 games left until the TDL. At a minimum to justify keeping the band together (to some extent, they shouldn't self rent any UFA's) they need to win 4. Probably all 5 though, you can't expect everyone in front of them to lose out.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Trouba, I mean I do to see some of it, he is decent, he can move the puck somewhat, he has a hard shot, he plays physical (sometimes overly
Are we now complaining about defenders being too physical? Our one guy who shows snarl, can have the opposition think twice about trying to enter our zone with speed and puck control, who can actually stand up for himself and teammates (Lindgren is a bit small and TDA is more an after the whistle type of guy)? AND he stood up to Minny's tough guy act last night when they started throwing their weight around and single-handedly gave it back to them with interest- that is now a detriment???

Reactions: 17 others

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

the wife and I are headed down to NYC for the weekend and will be attending this game. We will not lose.

by the way guess who now wants a Shesterkin jersey (never ends)

Reactions: 17 others

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I loved how feisty Trouba was tonight, DeAngelo looked pretty fired up going after that guy too :laugh: DeAngelo made some really good plays defensively tonight, closed the gap on a lot of players
Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one. You have to think twice about carrying the puck into our zone when he's on the ice. And it's a contagious mentality, I love it.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one. You have to think twice about carrying the puck into our zone when he's on the ice. And it's a contagious mentality, I love it.

his value goes up come playoff time. Need some mean guys back there and Lindgren and Trouba are that.

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Minnesota is such a lightweight team. To lose to them...almost unfathomable. I love that the boys spanked those clowns.
Btw, ever seen a goalie with less lateral movement than their guy? Yeesh. Looked like....me, trying to get across that crease. Bananas!
Panarin was gonna rip a one timer on his goal, saw the goalie going for a swim and took his time to place the puck perfectly. We would be RIPPING our goalie for taking so long to get across

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Buch last couple games is showing the ability to take a hit to make a play, show some strength, also going to the net and has some points.

Not totally sold but there is some improvement there.

Pretty much an annual thing where he heats up in the second half. I believe that one year, he was really hot but got derailed by injury.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
All season it’s felt like the Rangers who’ve hung around never really having a bad streak of hockey were always a 5 game win streak from being in The playoff conversation. If they can get thru these next two games with wins it can get really interesting. Not envying Jeff Gorton over these next 10 days. Team is playing their best hockey of the year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
All season it’s felt like the Rangers who’ve hung around never really having a bad streak of hockey were always a 5 game win streak from being in The playoff conversation. If they can get thru these next two games with wins it can get really interesting. Not envying Jeff Gorton over these next 10 days. Team is playing their best hockey of the year.

Sell.

Its an easy decision. Self renting UFA's at this juncture would be very, very stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad