GDT: Rangers vs Senators | Home Opener | Saturday Oct. 5 | 7 PM | CityTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Mika was not the player he is now in Ottawa, sure the trade was stupid in hindsight considering his age and such but he's taken huge steps in his game since arriving in NY. Just my opinion though.
like in any field of work if you have proper management in place employees grow with structure. I think this is one of the reasons Karlsson may have become a bit too vocal. No more vets around, no veteran management. The locker room became toxic and everyone got shipped out. It's easier to rely on yourself when you can't rely on your boss. That's why under Murray the team had structure. Under Dohrion everyone is like "sure bud".

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They also have unlimited funds. A stud d man that only wanted to play there and a stud defensive prospect that only wanted to play there. Comparing the two is wierd.
They play in the same league and are both striving to win Lord Stanley.

Not comparing them would be weird.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They play in the same league and are both striving to win Lord Stanley.

Not comparing them would be weird.
We’re comparing the two rebuilds. One team literally had the stars align for them this past offseason

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Meh, comparing an NHL to team to another NHL team isn't weird IMO.
Yeah you guys seem to love that quote. Again. It’s the rebuilds themselves. New York didn’t do anything spectacular. Saying “oh look at the rangers rebuild!!” Is stupid. We can’t replicate what they did this past offseason.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah you guys seem to love that quote. Again. It’s the rebuilds themselves. New York didn’t do anything spectacular. Saying “oh look at the rangers rebuild!!” Is stupid. We can’t replicate what they did this past offseason.

Yeah, I don't even think you can call what the Rangers did a rebuild. They just threw ALL the money at it and lucked out with the lottery. This isn't replicable 99% of the time.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
NYR has the best prospect pool of the NHL
Not sure you can call it lucky

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
NYR has the best prospect pool of the NHL
Not sure you can call it lucky

The Jets had the best prospect pool not long ago and look at them now.

Having the best prospect pool doesn't amount to much because you can go from the best to mediocre after just one player graduates.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The Jets had the best prospect pool not long ago and look at them now.

Having the best prospect pool doesn't amount to much because you can go from the best to mediocre after just one player graduates.
Everything can happen in this league

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
First things first - boys better get themselves ready, because the coach sounded after the game like he was ready to give a bag skate at practice a la Herb Brooks in "Miracle". DJ was unhappy with the compete level tonight, and he's right. As a group they were just way too passive and soft. What happened to the whole, " We're going to be a hard team to play against" stuff? We sure weren't in this game.

The young guys were actually the ones that came to play tonight. The guys who stunk it up were all veterans - Anisimov, Ryan, Boedker up front, DeMelo and Boro on D. (Ennis played well, to be fair.) Chlapik should be playing every night right now. They should really just waive Boedker, send him to Belleville or loan him to a team in Europe and write him off - guy is awful.

Chabot was a stud, as always, but man that third pairing stinks. We should have traded DeMelo at the deadline last year when he had more value. I know this organization will have a hard time parting with Boro for sentimental reasons, but it's time to face the facts - increasingly he is simply blocking playing time for guys like Jaros or Lajoie.

I thought Batherson was better - he created some really nice chances. He just needs a break and the goals will start coming.

Finally, time to play Anders Nilsson on Thursday. In now way was that game Craig Anderson's fault, but in two games he has yet to make the kind of save that bails out his team and pumps up the bench. Needless to say, we need some of that if we are going to find some wins, any wins, this year.

Whoah there. Play the G who lost the last game is a key part of the strategy to get better in the future. We don't want to be better now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, I don't even think you can call what the Rangers did a rebuild. They just threw ALL the money at it and lucked out with the lottery. This isn't replicable 99% of the time.
The had two top four d men ONLY willing to sign for them lol. Like it was the perfect storm.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ya cause it blows my mind how every thread has people surprised that we suck

legit it’s almost like we need to make a thread about how trading away your three best players leads to being the worst team in the league ..again

Funny thing is that we were the worst team two years running WITH those guys.

Yeah, this year will hurt for sure, and that’s just the start. but if TC and BT connect for a goal each game I’ll keep dealing with it :)

Reactions: HSF

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Well they wrote a letter to their fans a couple of years ago addressing their rebuild and saying sorry for being so bad.

They made shrewd moves (one all too painful for us) and got good value when they sold off their spare parts.

Take Kakko out of the picture and they still have done a masterful job.

Might not be a standard rebuild but it is impressive nonetheless.

Evanc23

Nov 20, 2018
Well they wrote a letter to their fans a couple of years ago addressing their rebuild and saying sorry for being so bad.

They made shrewd moves (one all too painful for us) and got good value when they sold off their spare parts.

Take Kakko out of the picture and they still have done a masterful job.

Might not be a standard rebuild but it is impressive nonetheless.

All the rangers did was sign Fox and Traded scraps for Trouba just because it's New York and they only wanted too play there, oh and that guy named Panarin who also was signed for free because you know, it's New York and not Ottawa.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Problem was, and this is an Ottawa problem, he was going to get paid to continue to try and figure things out, and I guess they figured he was not going to get there. I personally like doing the trade because i didn’t see him achieving what his ceiling was
The trade was horrible no matter how you slice it

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mika was not the player he is now in Ottawa, sure the trade was stupid in hindsight considering his age and such but he's taken huge steps in his game since arriving in NY. Just my opinion though.

I mean, he was 22, so of course he's gotten better since the trade. The trade would look stupid in hindsight even if he meandered on as a 20g 50pts 2nd line center.

I think when evaluating that trade there are two lenses to view it through.

1. The value of the exchange: was Brassard enough of a return for a 22 year old 20 g, 50 pts 2nd line center with room to grow and a 2nd. I thought at the time that the value was way off and whether or not Zibanejad has now exceeded reasonable expectations doesn't change that.

2. Was it the right time to move on from Zibanejad: Obviously in hindsight, this one looks like a resounding no, but I think there is a lot more room to work with here. The team financially has always been in a bit of a squeeze, at least as of late. Imagine we had swapped him for Domi or Sergachev instead of Brassard, the return changes things drastically. Having said that, Dorion had no intention of going after potential, he wanted to add a veteran that could propel us to the next level. With that in mind, Duchene would have made a lot of sense as a target, and again probably would have been seen as more of a successful swap than what actually transpired.

In the end though, the lesson is simple, if you're going to move on from a 22 year old center that's already producing, you probably better think twice.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It’s hard to replicate the Rangers . Not only were they draft lucky but players want to play in New York cause of the city . Guys like panarin and fox aren’t signing with a team like the sens when the sens are bad and probably even if they were good

on the flip side do the rangers have elite talent to win a cup ? Don’t know ....or are they going to be mediocre and get stuck in the cycle of mid level picks

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I mean, he was 22, so of course he's gotten better since the trade. The trade would look stupid in hindsight even if he meandered on as a 20g 50pts 2nd line center.

I think when evaluating that trade there are two lenses to view it through.

1. The value of the exchange: was Brassard enough of a return for a 22 year old 20 g, 50 pts 2nd line center with room to grow and a 2nd. I thought at the time that the value was way off and whether or not Zibanejad has now exceeded reasonable expectations doesn't change that.

2. Was it the right time to move on from Zibanejad: Obviously in hindsight, this one looks like a resounding no, but I think there is a lot more room to work with here. The team financially has always been in a bit of a squeeze, at least as of late. Imagine we had swapped him for Domi or Sergachev instead of Brassard, the return changes things drastically. Having said that, Dorion had no intention of going after potential, he wanted to add a veteran that could propel us to the next level. With that in mind, Duchene would have made a lot of sense as a target, and again probably would have been seen as more of a successful swap than what actually transpired.

In the end though, the lesson is simple, if you're going to move on from a 22 year old center that's already producing, you probably better think twice.

You're absolutely right. I had no problem moving on from Zibanejad if that's what they wanted to do. I did have a problem with the trade and thought it was terrible asset management just to swap Zib with Brass never mind the 2nd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad