Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The offensive improvement for the Canes is sort of made up. At least at 5v5.

They scored fewer 5v5 g/60 this year than in each of the last two years. When we beat them in 2022, they were top 5 in the league in 5v5 goals. They've scored almost a half goal per 60 less this year than they did that year.

They've revamped their approach on the powerplay to very good results. At 5v5, they're the same old rock chuckers they always were.
Yup, I think the key factor will be can the Rangers exploit their PK like they did two years ago. I don’t think Carolina will necessarily outscore the rangers 5v5 despite the advantage in possession. PK is going to be important too but in terms of scoring goals if we can attack like we did last time we played them it would be a huge boost.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yup, I think the key factor will be can the Rangers exploit their PK like they did two years ago. I don’t think Carolina will necessarily outscore the rangers 5v5 despite the advantage in possession. PK is going to be important too but in terms of scoring goals if we can attack like we did last time we played them it would be a huge boost.
Considering the mood on these boards you’d think it was 3 weeks since our last win.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Considering the mood on these boards you’d think it was 3 weeks since our last win.

Really?

Are you not seeing the almost delusional level confidence from almost everyone in here including myself?

So there are a few people trying to take a more rational view of things or the ever fewer who are just negative about everything. I'd still say that its like 80/20 in here who think the Rangers are going to waltz through the next round.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
There's also the very real aspect of having to deal with the media.

If he took somebody out after sweeping a series and we lost game 1, Brooks and Co. would give birth, even if the substitution was obviously not the reason we lost.
Yes, very good point albeit obvious. Replacing Rempe with Chytil isnt exactly like replacing Rempe for the likes of a Bonino or Pitlick. They may have been a necessity early on, but as soon as they got jettisoned it was the ending of stage 1. Stage 2 was the TDL by adding Wennberg and Roslivic, Rempe becoming a factor, IMO was the 3rd stage. A 4th stage may be inevitable, but has to be used appropriately, not because of "this or that" coming from the exterior walls of MSG. I trust Laviolette & coaches.
Lets face facts, even if these teams are evenly matched, it will come down to........Shesty and Anderson......and puck luck.
Speaking of......anyone think that Carolina KNEW about those boards, jettisoning out the puck from the wind around? Home team advantage? Happened twice yesterday. Funny how it was when Carolina had that Offensive end twice, huh?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If we go back to what I said originally, the Canes' creativity on offense is now better than in the past. I've watched some of their games. That being said, the two teams were nearly dead-even in GF. Now, if we're critiquing on the merits of offensive talent, then our team has more.

For sure they're studying tape and having meetings about their opponent, or else they aren't doing their jobs when the stakes are what they are now.
Hopefully we were gameplanning for Carolina, 75% to the Isles 25%. They only have 2 days gameplanning for us now, maybe not THAT important, as they obviously already know us, and we know them.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There is a certain segment of this fanbase who act like entitled brats and nothing will be good enough except a cup no matter how the entire season went. The Rangers have won 59 games this year and have had a terrific season. It does not matter to some unless they achieve the holy grail. Even if they win the cup you will still have some knuckleheads that would complain that they didn't do it easier. It's exhausting.
It’s amazing that nothing short of the Cup is considered a successful season: even if you’re a very pretty good team essentially only 1 in 8 chance if you’re lucky!!!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I wouldn't be so surprised if we had a few shorties mixed in as well. I really don't mind taking a penalty "that much" because it seems we always get a chance or 2 going the other way. Foxy, Kreider and Zibby have it down pat.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Hopefully we were gameplanning for Carolina, 75% to the Isles 25%. They only have 2 days gameplanning for us now, maybe not THAT important, as they obviously already know us, and we know them.
I don’t see Carolina as a team that really alters their style because of their opponent.
They win with it or they lose with it.

Reactions: HolyHagelin and CLW

Elvis P

Another one bites the crust
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The whole Hurricanes are the favorite/President's Trophy curse is just a little bit too perfect. Hockey and life are messy with events such as greasy goals. I don't think it's going to work out for them.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah the X factor in this series is how tight it’s going to be called. If the Rangers are allowed to play through the Canes Carolina is in a lot of trouble.

If this is called like the Washington series was, it works to Carolina’s favor.

What I wouldn’t give to see Aho or Jake Grundle get Trouba’d in this series.

I dunno i think hed be a fan favorite. Dude is a dog.
IMO the tighter it’s called the more it favors the Rangers

Elvis P

Another one bites the crust
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
what curse lol. the spot that wins the most is 1, it's just that any specific spot loses against the field.

The Trophy has been awarded 36 times, but only eight of the winners have gone on to win the Stanley Cup in their respective years, leading to a popular superstition that the Trophy may be cursed.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Complaining about poor effort in the playoffs is ridiculous. They’re all trying. Sometimes is doesn’t work or the other guys play better

The players aren’t over or under estimate them. The fans can overestimate us all we want. We’re fans
I appreciate your commitment to being a member of the tone police.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Idk how to properly post tweets but this is always a positive sign for a team that advanced less than 24 hours ago.
https://x.com/DarrenDreger/status/1785731186884575469

Edit- that didn't work lol. I don't know how to either.

Basically says Brind'Amour's job is in jeopardy and he has not gotten extended yet.

Kind of wild to be honest. They've been one of the most consistent contenders in the last 5 years. Kind of like the Lightening before they won a cup, but without as much high end talent or elite goal tending.

Personally, I think this series could go either way. It's a 50/50 coin flip in my mind.

Ultimately I think that if Igor can continue to be the goalie we all know he can be, he can give us a huge edge. And if we get Chytil back in the same shape he was prior to the injury, it's a whole different level of depth for our forwards.

Last edited:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I guess unless we think it’s going to be a decisive Ranger series, it’s considered negative. But it’s been fairly reasonable analysis of a series between two teams that always play each other tough and have specific strengths and weaknesses that from a Rangers POV need to be exploited.
agreed. fairly level analysis. but for some, to not simply waive the pom poms is to be negative.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Really?

Are you not seeing the almost delusional level confidence from almost everyone in here including myself?

So there are a few people trying to take a more rational view of things or the ever fewer who are just negative about everything. I'd still say that its like 80/20 in here who think the Rangers are going to waltz through the next round.
I don't know. I predict NYR in 6, and I think that's what I've seen most often. That's a solid win, but doesn't seem overconfidence. If we were playing another team like WSH I'd be predicting 4 or 5. And of COURSE I acknowledge that Canes COULD win. I just don't think it goes that way. I think this team just has learned how to win. And I don't think analytics do NYR full justice because of their penchant to just do what they have to to win and not much more, rather than have dominating performances sprinkled in to boost their fancy stat metrics. They come from behind well and they protect leads well. What they don't always do well is grab early leads.
Honestly, I think just doing what you need to do to win is the right tact for the post season. All that matters is the final score, why empty the gas tank extra trying to dominate? Get the lead and keep it. There's a balance between TOTALLY turtling and playing conservatively with the lead, I think we are generally on the correct side of that dynamic.
Anyway, do you think I need to cut the hubris? Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad