Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Vancouver November 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good thing you didn't nip it in the bud IMO. It's a civil discussion about some very legit issues/concerns.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If we can somehow beat CBJ and Pitt. Then that'll give ys a huge advantage in the standings.

Some pretty important games coming up. I think the team will show their true colors these next five games.

Before the five games after those five, someone else will declare that the next five games will show the team's true colors.

I believe that people place too much emphasis on certain games or stretches of games.

They are all of the same value.

Let's say that the next time the Rangers play the Caps at MSG, that the Caps come from behind to win. Certain posters will cite this as an indictment of the Rangers, even though the reverse has already occurred.

I think a lot of fans like to set up structures as important when they have no importance other than the results of one game or group of games.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So, before the season, most of us agreed that the forward group was great, the defense was mediocre at best and the goaltending was excellent. So far, the forward group has been even better than we anticipated, the defense has been a little better than mediocre, and, after a typical slow start from Henke, the goaltending has been stellar. So, things have been better than originally than predicted. So, here we are.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Before the five games after those five, someone else will declare that the next five games will show the team's true colors.

I believe that people place too much emphasis on certain games or stretches of games.

They are all of the same value.

Let's say that the next time the Rangers play the Caps at MSG, that the Caps come from behind to win. Certain posters will cite this as an indictment of the Rangers, even though the reverse has already occurred.

I think a lot of fans like to set up structures as important when they have no importance other than the results of one game or group of games.

One of the main things I'm looking for is how strong the Rangers are towards the end of the season than they are right now. Even so it's great that they're putting up wins and points now so they can set themselves up for the playoffs but they really need to be rolling in the last month or so of the season.

For now we're showing we can score goals and defend well enough. We're having some injury issues--which is another thing you want a healthy team going into the playoffs.

This business about our window being closed and the team declining at this point seems to be a lot of wishful thinking by many of our detractors.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Klein has been pretty bad so far this year I think, unfortunately, and anyone paired with him also seems to struggle.
Pp
The right side continues to just be an outright disaster. On. For all that he's been statistically bad on the right, he's also played a small number of games there (I think less than 10 at this point?) and no one's going to adjust to the other side that fast

Gonna be more interesting when the Rangers need to play tight games, these blowout games are messing with our expectations and analysis of their play I think

Can't remember where I heard or saw it, but supposedly Brady LIKES playing on the right side. So, at this juncture if would behoove us to be patient and let the kid adapt. That just might be the best ANSWER for the time being. I'm gonna pay close attention.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can't remember where I heard or saw it, but supposedly Brady LIKES playing on the right side. So, at this juncture if would behoove us to be patient and let the kid adapt. That just might be the best ANSWER for the time being. I'm gonna pay close attention.

This is correct. He's been quoted as saying this. I post that here a while back. Will have to find...

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Hot take incoming:

Trade Klein, he should been traded in the offseason when his value was at its peak. He hasn't been good.

Trade for a guy like Franson. Puck mover, can play on any of the pairings, and would be a cheap add. Plus his contract ends at the end of the season

Play Clendening, and force Girardi onto the 3rd pair with sheltered minutes. Holden scratched

McDonagh-Franson
Staal-Clendening
Skjei-Girardi

Yeah, that's right. Trade Kleiner when we had question marks on the right side to begin with. AV wouldn't want any part of that trade. But, I dare say we actually DO need to think about it as his contract is expiring in another year. The time is not quite right.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I was negative during the game but Canucks fans and fans of teams like the Sabres must get a kick out of this thread. Seriously reads like we were the ones that lost 7-2. No wonder people think this board has become negative. Every ****ing game not only do we need to win we have to have good Corsi for the post game thread to be any sort of positive. And then the thread is much shorter. Also what is with this new trend of discrediting every goal we score as soft. Markstrom gave up one terrible goal and the Holden goal wasn't great but it was deflected.

Significantly AGREE.! Can anyone spell SPOILED? PERFECTION? Really? Players on the opposition get PAID to do their job as well. Wow, just wow.

I'm a happy satisfied Rangers fan, why can't we all be?

I suppose those unhappy Rangers fans want buy ONE get TWO free with Papa John's!

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think there are both positives and concerns.

12 or more legit NHL forwards is a real thing and it will continue to work, maybe not to the point it has so far but there is no doubt this is a much better forward group especially when one considers improvements from certain players, Nash, Miller, Hayes, in particular.

Less than ideal D group is also a real thing.

Goal, it's good

They are using two strengths to mitigate their weakness. How long that works, I don't know.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
IMO, disagreement is fine as long as we don't derail the conversation with hyperbole. There's a lot of smart people here that contribute to discussions in a variety of areas.

Really curious to see how we look in this next group of games.

Was it Torts that liked to put the season into 11, 7 game segments? Well then...... Whomever

Games 1-7 5 wins, 2 losses 27GF, 18GA

Key wins.......Islanders and Lightning at home, Capitals on the road.
Losses.......Blues (Hutton thievary), Red Wings (Howard mastery of Rangers)

Games 8-14 5 wins, 2 losses 31GF, 16GA​
Key wins...... trouncing of Lightning and Blues at home, Bruins on the road.
Losses.......Hurricanes (their home opener), Canucks at MSG (inexcusable, sorry)

Games 15-21 ??? My prediction 5-2

Key games.......@Blue Jackets, Penguins
@MSG vs Panthers and Penguins

Wins......Flames, Oilers (okay, i know......games already played)
Canucks, Jackets (yes, a 4-0 road trip), Pens (home and payback), Senators
Losses......Panthers (home), Pens (away), we get Crosbeeed.

Why the loss to Panthers? 1st game home after a road trip. (My personal theory, if you're curious......just ask).

My observation.......watch out for Jackets and Panthers. Our Rangers had better realize those teams are really "up and coming" hard. Gonna be tough games, and obviously the home and home vs the Pens are really going to tell us quite a bit, as to where those two teams REALLY ARE in comparison to one another.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think there are both positives and concerns.

12 or more legit NHL forwards is a real thing and it will continue to work, maybe not to the point it has so far but there is no doubt this is a much better forward group especially when one considers improvements from certain players, Nash, Miller, Hayes, in particular.

Less than ideal D group is also a real thing.

Goal, it's good

They are using two strengths to mitigate their weakness. How long that works, I don't know.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier......... Will be interesting to see if we're able to get some "dirty goals" in the upcoming games. Imo, we're gonna need a few by playing a little bit more "bullish".......need Kreids back as he is very good at being in front.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I know my opinion doesn't mean too much around here because I don't post much, but my problem with some of the critics around here is that they do seem to have very binary minds. Players, teams, and games are either great or "garbage". Ignoring that HUGE middle ground and not acknowledging that due to parity, most NHL games are decided by a bounce or a call here or there, is very frustrating.

It's also just amazing to some people, slightly older guys like me I guess, that others put so much energy into criticizing a team that has been so good for so long now. I vividly remember the days when this team really was garbage, top to bottom, so it's very hard to find criticism in these performances when working from that baseline.

This team is 13-4 and insanely fun to watch. I personally can't ask for more.
Everyone's input is equally valuable. I mean I post all the time but I'm wrong 9 times out of 10, so, lol

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
One of the main things I'm looking for is how strong the Rangers are towards the end of the season than they are right now. Even so it's great that they're putting up wins and points now so they can set themselves up for the playoffs but they really need to be rolling in the last month or so of the season.

For now we're showing we can score goals and defend well enough. We're having some injury issues--which is another thing you want a healthy team going into the playoffs.

This business about our window being closed and the team declining at this point seems to be a lot of wishful thinking by many of our detractors.

Couldn't agree more! Playing their best in the last month of the regular season is paramount to play-off success in general. So in this regard you'd prefer the team to start "slower" and then keep building it up toward the end (ignoring minor ups and downs unavoidable in the long season). On the other hand I really want the Rangers to win Metro so to avoid playing Caps or Pens in the first round so they need all the point they can get even early on. Tough balancing act to be able to achieve both.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
A back to back run against Pittsburgh next week?

I want to BURY that team. I know we all do but I want this offense to completely immolate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad