Proposal: Rangers /TB

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Callahan doesn’t have to agree to anything.
Kinda my point. Everyone talks about moving Callahan, but the state tax deal costs him about a half a million dollars I think? Nobody has been able to explain why Cally doesn't throw double birds in the air to any trade out of Florida.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Kinda my point. Everyone talks about moving Callahan, but the state tax deal costs him about a half a million dollars I think? Nobody has been able to explain why Cally doesn't throw double birds in the air to any trade out of Florida.

Because he has only a modified NTC so he has to submit a list of 16 teams he would waive for.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Cally is going to look to move on after the debacle between him and Cooper. Even if he wanted to stay he knows his time is up in Tampa, so he is going to be more open with that list.

I still think a trade to the Rangers makes the most sense, because we own that 2nd pic, and simply just moving down in the draft a little may be worth it for Tampa to shed 5.8 million. Rangers can afford to take on the cap, and they will have an effective bottom 6 player who can work with our young guys and teach them work ethics like @The Crypto Guy said , which Gorton was looking for, but will also bring some improvement to our PK and Bottom 6.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Because he has only a modified NTC so he has to submit a list of 16 teams he would waive for.
I Don't think it's that hard to figure out the teams that have no use or cap space for a 5m+ fourth liner who spends 20 games or more a year injured and leave them as the ones you say yes to. Cally holds all the cards in this game. I think he forces them into a buyout before he agrees to a trade to a place that actually can fit him.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
From Joe Smith - The Athletic

Ryan Callahan:
The moment coaches told Callahan that he was the team’s 13th forward, everyone could see the writing on the wall that this would likely be his last season with the Lightning. “It doesn’t take a scientist to figure that out,” Callahan admitted. It’s hard to justify paying the team’s 13th forward $5.8 million, which is Callahan’s cap hit in the final year of his contract. The Lightning will likely try to trade him before the draft, as they’ll probably need to add a pick or prospect to the deal for a team to take on that salary (maybe the Rangers or Buffalo?). Callahan has a 15-team modified trade list. If not, Callahan is expected to get bought out, as the Lightning need all the cap space they can find for Point’s contract and other looming extensions.

Tampa wants to avoid buy out. That is their last resort. I think the Rangers look even more enticing now since they gave up a 2nd and Conditional 3rd in the Fox trade and may see this as an opportunity to recoup some assets and get that Vet leader Gorton was looking for. Rangers have the cap to do it. It also makes sense since the Rangers are on cally’s 15 team trade list.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That's a late 1st for unwanted baggage + cap AND have to give back the 2nd?

nope, I need more.

prior to fox,
would do Rangers 2nd + TB 2nd + Namest at half for TB 1st

now need alternate

maybe 2019 TB 2nd + Namest at half for TB 2020 1st?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That's a late 1st for unwanted baggage + cap AND have to give back the 2nd?

nope, I need more.

prior to fox,
would do Rangers 2nd + TB 2nd + Namest at half for TB 1st

now need alternate

maybe 2019 TB 2nd + Namest at half for TB 2020 1st?

Namestnikov + 5th for Callahan + 3rd?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the Rangers (2nd round)58th OA for Callahan and Tampa’s (1st round)27th OA is worth it for both sides.

This isn’t a Lucic, Kesler, Ladd, or even a Dubinsky type contract. It’s one year left for a still effective but overpaid player.

Reactions: slg1963

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
At the draft to trade up from 58 to 27 you would probably have to have a pick in the late 30's to trade as well. So if Tampa is dropping back from 27 to 58 to dump Callahan you are valuing him as a mid 30's pick to dump him. I wouldn't trade a pick in the 30's to rid Callahan, if we had the 58 I would do that at the most. So I would want another pick back with the 58 for the 27, like a late 3rd.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the Rangers (2nd round)58th OA for Callahan and Tampa’s (1st round)27th OA is worth it for both sides.

This isn’t a Lucic, Kesler, Ladd, or even a Dubinsky type contract. It’s one year left for a still effective but overpaid player.
Do the rangers want him? Or do they have guys who can do what he brings in a bottom 6 capacity?

If he can’t get in the lineup for TB this year not exactly looking like much of a rental return come end of Feb next year.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do the rangers want him? Or do they have guys who can do what he brings in a bottom 6 capacity?

If he can’t get in the lineup for TB this year not exactly looking like much of a rental return come end of Feb next year.

We had Brendan Smith (a struggling D) and Vinny Letteri (More of an AHL’er) on the 4th line, and expect us to move out Vesey and possibly Namestinikov so there will be slots available. Gorton is also looking for a veteran forward presence. So there is a need. If we can get an insurance asset attached to it as well, it’s worth it.

As per getting into Tampa’s line up, wouldn’t even bring it up considering they got historically swept with Cooper’s line up decisions.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
We aren’t wasting a first to get rid of him. If you don’t want him we will just go to a different team. A second round pick is the most I could see us giving up.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

No, we really just want more picks. WE FRIENDS NOW. GIVE US MOORE PICKS!

Callahan, mid-prospect, and 2020 2nd for 4th?

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
It just makes too much sense. We have the cap room, NY/TB have the trading history, Callahan back to NY to bring in leadership. I'm down.

Reactions: Leonardo87

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No thanks.

I understand if Tampa wouldn’t want to give up their 1st, but for me to take on Callahan and especially give up Namestnikov in the process, I want Tampa’s 1st this year.

If not, no hard feelings, but no deal.

loosing Namest is no big deal, he is eating mins from others
only reason TB considers taking him back is track record of chemistry/success with Stamkos.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We had Brendan Smith (a struggling D) and Vinny Letteri (More of an AHL’er) on the 4th line, and expect us to move out Vesey and possibly Namestinikov so there will be slots available. Gorton is also looking for a veteran forward presence. So there is a need. If we can get an insurance asset attached to it as well, it’s worth it.

As per getting into Tampa’s line up, wouldn’t even bring it up considering they got historically swept with Cooper’s line up decisions.

Dissagree, JG needs to lose Namest to = increased mins

If we did a win win where we ate Marc Staal at half for expiring Marleau at full pop, that type of F add -- another reason to move Namest, as well as Smith --- that is a sort of comes with the territory development.

So while the door is not closed, we need to repurpose surplus Fs into RDs or picks we can use for future currency.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Callahan + 3rd for Beleksey + 5th?

New York gets Callahan at 3.9 when you take away Beleksey at 1.9. He's still overpaid for a bottom 6 forward but at least he's NHL quality. So that's why the pick swap is in their. Tampa gets 3.9 in cap relief by dropping from a 3rd to a 5th.
callahan is much much better than beleskey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad