Proposal: Rangers /TB

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
I really can’t see us giving up are 1st for one year of Callahan. If this got done last season then I probably would have. I can see him going for a pick and a prospect though.

Reactions: More 2004

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't see why Callahan agrees to it unless Tampa pulls the Orpik move and brings him back at a minimal salary. The buyout hit is like 1.66 over 2 years I think? So if we bought him out and Tampa signed him back at 1.66, he doesn't really lose anything. We don't figure to be at cap for the next two year's unless there is a Staal or Lundqvist buyout plan we aren't aware of.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Callahan + 3rd for Beleksey + 5th?

New York gets Callahan at 3.9 when you take away Beleksey at 1.9. He's still overpaid for a bottom 6 forward but at least he's NHL quality. So that's why the pick swap is in their. Tampa gets 3.9 in cap relief by dropping from a 3rd to a 5th.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Callahan + 3rd for Beleksey + 5th?

New York gets Callahan at 3.9 when you take away Beleksey at 1.9. He's still overpaid for a bottom 6 forward but at least he's NHL quality. So that's why the pick swap is in their. Tampa gets 3.9 in cap relief by dropping from a 3rd to a 5th.

Beleskey is not NHL anything. He is however 825k cap hit. Is moving from a 5th to a 3rd worth adding 4 million in cap and 3.2 in real dollars? Probably not.

Reactions: Anthony5967

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Beleskey is not NHL anything. He is however 825k cap hit. Is moving from a 5th to a 3rd worth adding 4 million in cap and 3.2 in real dollars? Probably not.

You still need to call someone up to replace Beleksey so he's not 825k it's that + the new player as well as the actual dollar savings goes from 3.2 - the new guy. I can see us possibly be interested in Smith as we need some defenders and the cap difference isn't as drastic. Would be more a straight swap as Smith has extra years which is tough to take on.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
You still need to call someone up to replace Beleksey so he's not 825k it's that + the new player as well as the actual dollar savings goes from 3.2 - the new guy. I can see us possibly be interested in Smith as we need some defenders and the cap difference isn't as drastic. Would be more a straight swap as Smith has extra years which is tough to take on.

Smith is a more useful player than Callahan and significantly cheaper. He is still an asset to the Rangers. The Rangers are not facing any cap issues and have no need to get Smith off the books. He is someone who did well on our 4th line and is a decent D-Man.

Callahan is barely even a shell of his former self. He can't stay healthy. And he's relatively unproductive even when he is healthy.

I have no interest in taking on his albatross of a contract, even for a year, unless we're getting a second or prospect equivalent in return.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Smith is a more useful player than Callahan and significantly cheaper. He is still an asset to the Rangers. The Rangers are not facing any cap issues and have no need to get Smith off the books. He is someone who did well on our 4th line and is a decent D-Man.

Callahan is barely even a shell of his former self. He can't stay healthy. And he's relatively unproductive even when he is healthy.

I have no interest in taking on his albatross of a contract, even for a year, unless we're getting a second or prospect equivalent in return.

With Staal, Shattenkirk, Skjei, Pionk, DeAngelo and then guys like Lindgren and Hajek on deck I would think Smith is easily expendable. They are just around 1.5 different in cap so not that significant in cap difference plus Smith has an extra year which isn't good either.

Callahan was healthy all year this season and was on a 27 point pace in the games he played. We just wanted to get a few younger guys more play time so we sat him. But he played the best he has in a couple of years. He can also PK and the Ranger PK was at the bottom of the league while Tampa was the top. Smith is less than a year removed from being waived and playing in the AHL.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I don't see why Callahan agrees to it unless Tampa pulls the Orpik move and brings him back at a minimal salary. The buyout hit is like 1.66 over 2 years I think? So if we bought him out and Tampa signed him back at 1.66, he doesn't really lose anything. We don't figure to be at cap for the next two year's unless there is a Staal or Lundqvist buyout plan we aren't aware of.

Callahan doesn’t have to agree to anything.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Callahan back to Rangers for TB 1st instead of their 2nd which the Rangers currently own . TB get their 2nd back and get Cally off the books to sign Point. Rangers get another 1st round pick and can keep Callahan , trade or buy him out . Thoughts .

So Rangers take 1 year of Callahan and a 1st for a 2nd . Done . What else is on your mind ?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan back to Rangers for TB 1st instead of their 2nd which the Rangers currently own . TB get their 2nd back and get Cally off the books to sign Point. Rangers get another 1st round pick and can keep Callahan , trade or buy him out . Thoughts .

Rangers would keep him, he is still an effective player, and maybe even extend him to a cheap contract. He is a player we need and a player Gorton is looking for. Was on pace for between 25-30 points with 4th line mins and no PP time, and still excellent on the PK. His leadership on and off the ice is something that will help influence our younger guys. We are likely going to move Vesey, and perhaps Namesnikov. Right now our 4th line had guys like Smith, Letteiri, Brickly and Nieves. Callahan outproduced all of these guys easily, but brings other things as well, like PK ability, and leadership.

Callahan is going to waive, after the debacle in Tampa, but he already has the Rangers on his list, and said he would even welcome a trade back. So that should not be an issue.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
When did Callahan say any of that? I never heard anything.

Interview with the NY Post earlier in the season. Said he would be comfortable with a trade back to the Rangers, and has no issues with anyone there. I mean he did also say glad it didn’t happen, which of course he would say that since Tampa had the best chances to win a cup and him and his family have settled there.

But things are different now. This was said before the whole issue between him and Cooper with him being healthy scratched most of the 2nd half of the season. So I am pretty sure he would welcome a trade even more now, and not just to the Rangers.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Interview with the NY Post earlier in the season. Said he would be comfortable with a trade back to the Rangers, and has no issues with anyone there. I mean he did also say glad it didn’t happen, which of course he would say that since Tampa had the best chances to win a cup and him and his family have settled there.

But things are different now. This was said before the whole issue between him and Cooper with him being healthy scratched most of the 2nd half of the season. So I am pretty sure he would welcome a trade even more now, and not just to the Rangers.

You have a link on that? I’m just curious I’d want to see it.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019

Tampa Bay doesn't need to move Callahan at the expense of going from 27thOA to 58th OA pick. Maybe Ranger's 2nd (33 OA) for Lightning 1st (27 OA) and Callahan?

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You have a link on that? I’m just curious I’d want to see it.

Yeah sure, here it is.. Have to get past the headline of course, but remember this happened before the Cooper debacle.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/10/why-ryan-callahan-is-happy-a-rangers-return-never-happened/

But saying that, I’d have been comfortable back in New York. I have no issues with anyone there. I wouldn’t have had to make much of an adjustment at all going back.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah sure, here it is.. Have to get past the headline of course, but remember this happened before the Cooper debacle.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/10/why-ryan-callahan-is-happy-a-rangers-return-never-happened/

That’s interesting.

I wouldn’t deal for him unless Tampa gave up their 1st, but I can’t see them doing that to move 1 year of Callahan off their books.

Hopefully the Rangers can get another 1st rounder from Dallas or trade up into the 1st or maybe move up with Winnipeg’s pick.

Who knows.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Tampa has an interesting decision here, even though they got booted they are in a competitive window. They have lots of $ tied into Fs esp with Point coming up and need at least 2 replacement D. Their cap won’t support that so Callys dump becomes essential. That allows them to trade 1 of Miller/Gourde/Killhorn/Johnson instead of 2 of them for help on D. There are an abundance of low cap teams who would do a deal but Cally does have a limited NTC that starts. NYR are a good target because we have picks, available RD, and cap room. I see 4 scenarios:

1. I do think losing 30 draft slots in order to clear 5.8 mil and keep the dream alive is fair value. Partially Allows for Points raise and trade one of the aforementioned Fs for D help. This also assumes they resign one of Stralsy/Coburn/DG at a discount. You get a C prospect contract back.

2. We would like to get Smith off the books and would retain say 1.35 m brings him to 3 mil which is his correct value. He can play 3rd RD behind say Stralman and Cernak. This would be straight up and clears 2.8 for you.

3. Or say Shatty at 5 mil and now you have Stral/ Shatty/Cernak. Shatty clears 800k. Shatty would require a swap of your first for Dallas’ mid 2nd.

4. Pionk would be available as well IMO. This clears 4.9ish for your cap and require the same swap as Shatty. Then you have Stralsy/Pionk-Cernak - you pick up a cheap FA vet for compétition

Understand if you move in another direction, but these are ideas that get something with NYR. All of this is moot if mgmt decides to retool away from the window which I doubt.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s interesting.

I wouldn’t deal for him unless Tampa gave up their 1st, but I can’t see them doing that to move 1 year of Callahan off their books.

Hopefully the Rangers can get another 1st rounder from Dallas or trade up into the 1st or maybe move up with Winnipeg’s pick.

Who knows.

Obviously there are a few people like me that would love to see him back with the Rangers for nostalgia reasons also. But it has to be for the right reasons for the Rangers and think getting a sweetener and a still effective player who will be good for our young guys development, it makes sense and are two good enough reasons to do it. I think it will also keep a channel open with Tampa for future deals as well.

I think Tampa moving from 1st to 2nd round and shedding 5.8 million of cap in the process is worth it for them. We may need to throw something else back though other than the 2nd round pick.

But like you said who knows but things are very different now from when that article was first posted.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Tampa Bay doesn't need to move Callahan at the expense of going from 27thOA to 58th OA pick. Maybe Ranger's 2nd (33 OA) for Lightning 1st (27 OA) and Callahan?

Not enough incentive here for the Rangers to take Callahan, I don't see him as a valuable asset to NY........maybe the Dallas 2nd for Cally and Tampa's first?
Or not, it really isn't all that important for NY.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Not enough incentive here for the Rangers to take Callahan, I don't see him as a valuable asset to NY........maybe the Dallas 2nd for Cally and Tampa's first?
Or not, it really isn't all that important for NY.

Don't see Tampa being interested in that either. 27 to 47 is losing a lot of draft pick value just to jettison one year of Callahan. I think people are overestimating the cost of a supposed negative asset like Callahan.

They have $ coming off the books this offseason in Stralman (4.5), Coburn (3.7), Girardi (3), Ruuta (2.5) So I think they'll be able to sign Point and perhaps a free agent dman and fit him under this year and only have to worry about Callahan for one more year.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Obviously there are a few people like me that would love to see him back with the Rangers for nostalgia reasons also. But it has to be for the right reasons for the Rangers and think getting a sweetener and a still effective player who will be good for our young guys development, it makes sense and are two good enough reasons to do it. I think it will also keep a channel open with Tampa for future deals as well.

I think Tampa moving from 1st to 2nd round and shedding 5.8 million of cap in the process is worth it for them. We may need to throw something else back though other than the 2nd round pick.

But like you said who knows but things are very different now from when that article was first posted.

I don’t think Tampa would do it, but it’s what it would take for me to take Callahan.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
i believe its a good deal for both sides , some TB fans think it`s too expensive but it`s the cost of doing business.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Teams can exceed the cap by 10% during the off season.

Tampa is in no rush to do anything at the moment.

I have a feeling that Miller to Colorado happens before they move their 1st this year.

With just one year of cap hit, Callahan and 25% retained I would see a 3rd rounder as the price to pay to shed 75% of his contract

It would appear that Tampa is cap strapped, but it just appears that way.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Could see something similar to the pick in the McDonagh deal:

2nd rounder that becomes a 1st if Tampa wins the cup next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad