OT: Rangers superfan Donald "Fuzzy" Cohen passes away

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Figured I'd pass along the sad news of the passing of Fuzzy. I'm guessing a lot of you guys (particularly old timers) knew of him as he was a blue seats fixture for decades. In recent years he has been in a nursing home confined to a wheelchair, and the last time I saw him was at the Devils/Isles game a few years ago one of our friends arraigned for him to go to. It would be the last of an untold thousands of sporting events he ever attended. He was featured in the 94 team video, once had an article done on him in the NY Times and can also be spotted in the very last scene of the last episode of Sex and the City (he walked by as it was being filmed). When God made Fuzzy he truly broke the mold. RIP my friend.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Damn, where'd you see that? I knew he had been in bad shape for a while. Don't think I had seen him a game in at least a year or two. RIP Fuzzy.
Got a text from one of his friends and got it confirmed in a call from another. Massive heart attack last night. I have another Fuzzy story: several years ago me and a friend went to a Flyers game and Fuzzy was there. My friend tells me Fuzzy is good friends with Bernie Parent and he came to see him. I'm like yeah right. So we all run into Bernie and his eyes light up. He reacts like he is seeing his long lost brother and hugs Fuzzy while asking him how he was doing. My jaw hit the floor. As I said: there will never be another Fuzzy.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Haven't seen him lately but known him since the 70's. Saw him at every sport, every stadium, every arena, every city. Him and the whole loony crew. Never heard him complete a sentence. One time we were at a college basketball doubleheader sitting in the blue seats and one of my friends spotted Igor in the section next to us sitting by himself. So we yelled out "Where's Fuzzy" and he pointed down towards the floor seats.

Reactions: 94Obsession

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

94Obsession

Dec 28, 2008

I had to login to post this, as I don't even login or post much, I just lurk.

Awesome guy and memories, of not just him, but his whole group of cronies. (and I mean that in a positive way) I remember when I first saw Fuzzy at a Yankees game back in 1993, before it was "hip" and the "in thing" to do or be at. Upper Deck behind home plate, him along with his cronies, who had these marble notebooks scoring the game, taking notes, or who knows what else they were doing. Fuzzy was always there at these games. They all, and always had me, and us all cracking up all the time. With them that is. There are no more real characters like Fuzzy at these games anymore. It was a different time, and a great time to be alive. The best!!! I'd just like to say intermissions upstairs at Rangers game in the 400's or Blue Seats (the old 400's), before they ruined everything for the diehard fan in The Garden and upstairs, was pure comedy!!!

He will always be missed by me and many others that attend/attended Rangers games all these years and still am lucky to do and the real characters that used to frequent these games as you can't even get a Let's Go Rangers chant started anymore there in that building before it gets drowned out in less than 5 seconds by people who simply don't participate in it. That's what it's like at the games and has been in general since the renovation. But this is what they wanted. The World's Most Quietest Arena.

I could remember that even when the team sucked from 1997-2004, we all still used to have a really great time at these games, because of the people there and the section you were sitting in, doesn't matter where, that you knew were there night in and night out and were regulars in each section. People like Fuzzy, and anyone else that you knew would be there, even if the team wasn't doing too well those years. The whole Garden experience was still great and it was still a great time at the games for the whole experience.

Now the sections, even upstairs, are very transient, no thanks to StubHub and the renovation where they priced out most of the diehard fans with outrageous prices.

Just wanted to try to point out that a real character like Fuzzy will really be missed at these games!!! He actually stopped attending The Garden or the Rangers games some time in 2013 because of how bad the view his seats were and the renovation, where you actually can't see the scoreboard in the last 2 rows of the 400's. So while he still had the tickets and gave them to his Nephew, from what I hear/heard these last few years I hadn't seen "Donald "Fuzzy" Cohen in quite some time, at least I haven't, but always would get updates from my friend or people at The Garden that knew him or kept in contact with him. He hadn't been doing too well health wise for awhile now. Always hoped he would pop back up in MSG for a Rangers game or see him there once more.

I'll always miss intermissions upstairs before the renovation when and where Fuzzy and his "cronies" would be talking stuff, whatever it was they were talking about, it was pure comedy!!!

There's actually or was a FB page that was about him. It said he was a "Public Figure". Lol. Too funny as you can't make this stuff up!!! Someone obviously made it. Or who knows? Maybe it was actually Fuzzy afterall? The page has the world famous video of him from the 1994 team championship video "Oh Baby!" where he uttered the classic line of "i've been coming for over 40 years and this time i'm here at 1:30 instead of 3. I want that Cup! I want that Cup! I want that Cup!"

Just wanted to try to sum up the fan and the true character that was Donald "Fuzzy" Cohen.

He will be missed!!!

This NY Post article sums it up best and how Fuzzy truly was and all the stories surrounding him. A real character.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I thought I had never spoken with him, but I was mistaken. A friend reminded me that we actually sat right behind him for a game vs. the Whalers in the late 80s. It sparked my memory & I vividly recall his whipping boy for the day was linesman Pat Dapuzzo.

He didn't have the beard in the Times article & that's why it didn't click right away. I don't think I ever sat in the blues without seeing him. He was ALWAYS there back then.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
When I was in High School in the late 70's/early 80's I would go to a lot of Mets games at Shea with a group of friends. We would always sit in the upper deck behind home plate when Shea was a Ghost town back then. We would always see Fuzzy and his wacky group of friends at every game. I don't remember going to Shea back then and not seeing Fuzzy. He kept us entertained as the Mets did not back then. Whenever I would go to Shea after that I would always look for Fuzzy. I would see him at MSG when I went to Rangers games but my memories of Fuzzy go back to Shea when he would direct the planes to LaGuardia airport with his weird contortions. I read that he was a Yankees Fan. It seems like he never missed a game!
RIP FUZZY!

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I had to login to post this, as I don't even login or post much, I just lurk.

Awesome guy and memories, of not just him, but his whole group of cronies. (and I mean that in a positive way) I remember when I first saw Fuzzy at a Yankees game back in 1993, before it was "hip" and the "in thing" to do or be at. Upper Deck behind home plate, him along with his cronies, who had these marble notebooks scoring the game, taking notes, or who knows what else they were doing. Fuzzy was always there at these games. They all, and always had me, and us all cracking up all the time. With them that is. There are no more real characters like Fuzzy at these games anymore. It was a different time, and a great time to be alive. The best!!! I'd just like to say intermissions upstairs at Rangers game in the 400's or Blue Seats (the old 400's), before they ruined everything for the diehard fan in The Garden and upstairs, was pure comedy!!!

He will always be missed by me and many others that attend/attended Rangers games all these years and still am lucky to do and the real characters that used to frequent these games as you can't even get a Let's Go Rangers chant started anymore there in that building before it gets drowned out in less than 5 seconds by people who simply don't participate in it. That's what it's like at the games and has been in general since the renovation. But this is what they wanted. The World's Most Quietest Arena.

I could remember that even when the team sucked from 1997-2004, we all still used to have a really great time at these games, because of the people there and the section you were sitting in, doesn't matter where, that you knew were there night in and night out and were regulars in each section. People like Fuzzy, and anyone else that you knew would be there, even if the team wasn't doing too well those years. The whole Garden experience was still great and it was still a great time at the games for the whole experience.

Now the sections, even upstairs, are very transient, no thanks to StubHub and the renovation where they priced out most of the diehard fans with outrageous prices.

Just wanted to try to point out that a real character like Fuzzy will really be missed at these games!!! He actually stopped attending The Garden or the Rangers games some time in 2013 because of how bad the view his seats were and the renovation, where you actually can't see the scoreboard in the last 2 rows of the 400's. So while he still had the tickets and gave them to his Nephew, from what I hear/heard these last few years I hadn't seen "Donald "Fuzzy" Cohen in quite some time, at least I haven't, but always would get updates from my friend or people at The Garden that knew him or kept in contact with him. He hadn't been doing too well health wise for awhile now. Always hoped he would pop back up in MSG for a Rangers game or see him there once more.

I'll always miss intermissions upstairs before the renovation when and where Fuzzy and his "cronies" would be talking stuff, whatever it was they were talking about, it was pure comedy!!!

There's actually or was a FB page that was about him. It said he was a "Public Figure". Lol. Too funny as you can't make this stuff up!!! Someone obviously made it. Or who knows? Maybe it was actually Fuzzy afterall? The page has the world famous video of him from the 1994 team championship video "Oh Baby!" where he uttered the classic line of "i've been coming for over 40 years and this time i'm here at 1:30 instead of 3. I want that Cup! I want that Cup! I want that Cup!"

Just wanted to try to sum up the fan and the true character that was Donald "Fuzzy" Cohen.

He will be missed!!!

This NY Post article sums it up best and how Fuzzy truly was and all the stories surrounding him. A real character.

I had those same seats in the 400's the past 2 years. I gave them up for the exact same reason. It's like watching the game through a tunnel.

94Obsession

Dec 28, 2008
When I was in High School in the late 70's/early 80's I would go to a lot of Mets games at Shea with a group of friends. We would always sit in the upper deck behind home plate when Shea was a Ghost town back then. We would always see Fuzzy and his wacky group of friends at every game. I don't remember going to Shea back then and not seeing Fuzzy. He kept us entertained as the Mets did not back then. Whenever I would go to Shea after that I would always look for Fuzzy. I would see him at MSG when I went to Rangers games but my memories of Fuzzy go back to Shea when he would direct the planes to LaGuardia airport with his weird contortions. I read that he was a Yankees Fan. It seems like he never missed a game!
RIP FUZZY!

"With his weird contortions". Lmfao!!! Preach!!!

Reactions: sabremike

94Obsession

Dec 28, 2008
I had those same seats in the 400's the past 2 years. I gave them up for the exact same reason. It's like watching the game through a tunnel.

I hear ya!!! But we would never give up our tickets, as they are a bargain and they are discounted because of that reason and because of the limited view.

It is a pain in the ass, but I don't really care about seeing the scoreboard, as it's a minor inconvenience, as long as i'm in the building though, I don't really care that much. Ya Know? But I totally understand why you would give them up. Nice renovation. (sarcasm) I feel like Dolan just signed off on the renovation or all of this without reading the specifics of it. Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Not that he cares about all of us upstairs and treats us like the "peons" we are. It's like they cut us off from the rest of society upstairs with those walls when everything used to be connected. It makes no sense really. But i'm not surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->