Rangers statement on Wilson non-suspension

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't know. I really do think they need to add grit to the team. They're just getting manhandled by everyone. Or maybe it's a culture thing, I really don't know. I think how they were beaten down last year against Carolina and now how the Islanders beat them down and what the Caps did last night is a huge wakeup call for them. I really feel like this last week completely changed the mindset of the team.
Yeah. I think we all agree the team needs to be tougher in terms of battling through tight checking teams like The Isles and Bruins.
Can’t really prepare for an unhinged psycho though.

Reactions: eco's bones

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
I’m kind of amazed by the statement knowing how the league defends its reputation and keeps things in the family.

Also wondering if Panarin has in any way instigated this response. What’s his reaction to being rag dolled and not protected going to be?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Georgiev starting tomorrow:sarcasm:
DB71C153-3E0D-48BC-88BE-99053979E2B6.gif

Reactions: Cmox and nyrleetch

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah. I think we all agree the team needs to be tougher in terms of battling through tight checking teams like The Isles and Bruins.
Can’t really prepare for an unhinged psycho though.
I agree you can't prepare for it, but you sure as hell can do something about it. Torts would've said but not really said for one of our guys to go after one of their top guys. It's a culture thing from Quinn down. As soon as Wilson got on the ice, Quinn should've sent out Smith and Barron and K'Andre and just walloped the guy. Not violently, not stick to the head, not faceslam him into the boards or anything, but an aggressive hit on him to show we aren't okay with that.

Reactions: egelband

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If the Rangers made the playoffs, it would be a repeat of the bubble last year. This is a team problem. This is a culture problem. We saw all of it against the Islanders and against the Caps. They're going nowhere in the playoffs. It's not an overreaction at all to say this team will struggle mightily with playoff hockey.

They're not even going to the playoffs. So they're obviously going nowhere in the playoffs. The team is young. They have kids who are developing. Any other division and they'd be a playoff team, which by itself is kind of unbelievable considering the ages of many of their players who are playing huge roles.

They need to get a 3rd pair that can add quality minutes and they need a 4th line that is consistently productive and can add some grit. This will go a long way in shoring up many of their issues and supplementing the growth of many of our up-and-comers.

I feel like I'm the only person here (other than Vally if he's reading) who thought this season was quite a success and am really excited for next year.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Great now we wont win the lottery this year! Or, maybe we will to make up for it? I see what gorts is trying to do.

but seriously, nice statement put out by organization. I like how they explicitly called out Parros being unfit.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I agree you can't prepare for it, but you sure as hell can do something about it. Torts would've said but not really said for one of our guys to go after one of their top guys. It's a culture thing from Quinn down. As soon as Wilson got on the ice, Quinn should've sent out Smith and Barron and K'Andre and just walloped the guy. Not violently, not stick to the head, not faceslam him into the boards or anything, but an aggressive hit on him to show we aren't okay with that.
Yeah. I totally agree that toughness is needed in many ways and for many reasons. I was just making more of a semantic point I guess.

what I should have said is the Rangers need to be tougher in general, because they have to face teams like the Isles and Bruins. Not because of one single psycho. That gives that psycho too much credit.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

I mean Blackwell did lay him tf out.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

Barron, Miller & Smith are not these types of players. A coach who forces someone to be a goon when they are not is not long for his team or the league. This isn't the 1970's. This behavior barely exists anymore. Which is why on every single board where Wilson has done something like this, they've had similar conversations.

It's just ridiculous that you think it would be normal and approved of for Quinn to sic K'Andre Miller on Tom Wilson. Totally out of touch with reality.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Barron, Miller & Smith are not these types of players. A coach who forces someone to be a goon when they are not is not long for his team or the league. This isn't the 1970's. This behavior barely exists anymore. Which is why on every single board where Wilson has done something like this, they've had similar conversations.

It's just ridiculous that you think it would be normal and approved of for Quinn to sic K'Andre Miller on Tom Wilson. Totally out of touch with reality.
I'm saying a one time thing.

Or maybe make an open statement to the entire team during the intermission

"Did you see what happened? You guys are brothers. Panarin is hurt because of that goon and he'll be playing. I hope at least one of you understands the importance of this fraternity and gives him some of his own medicine" you know something like that. Good culture would have someone do something beyond midget Blackwell getting a single hit on him.

mcsauer2738

Apr 1, 2011
Heres the biggest issue and why ive stopped watching hockey for about 5-6 years. The league is sooooo soft. Its not suspension worthy. But this is what happens when you dont carry a scrapper and any player that plays with an edge you trade/cut.

Rangers need to get tough again and hockey as a whole needs to turn the clock back a decade when it was a great sport. Its a shell of itself now

LyNX27

I guess I’m in the minority but I thought what he did to Buch was worse than what he did to Panarin. Panarin and Wilson were willing combatants there. Buch was laying face down with his arms at his sides and Wilson punched his head into the ice. That was the dirtiest thing I’ve seen since Bertuzzi imo.

Anyway very glad to see this Rangers statement. Hopefully the players offer a statement of their own tomorrow.

Willing combatants because of Wilson taking liberties is the important context here.

What is the expectation... Players shouldn't grab a hold of someone in a scrum who is doing something dirty because of the mismatch?

You get involved and stop a lunatic like Wilson from punching Buchnevich's head into the ice regardless of what size or position you are.

Tom Wilson's biggest hits highlights reel is just him injuring opponents and 3/4 of the hits are charges that have blindside/cheapshots thrown in as a flourish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad