Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rykov will be heading back to the K
Hajek will be in NY
Reunanen is just a guy
Crawley won’t get a 2nd contract
Miller, sky’s the limit, but likely a year away.
Robertson will take a couple of years to be ready.

Reunanen isn't behind Hajek. They're probably equal in terms of chances to make the team.

Miller is at least 2 years away. It took Brady Skjei 4 full years after the draft to become an NHL regular. And Miller at age 20 isn't better than Skjei at age 20.

Robertson and Jones are future options, as in post 2022.

Rykov will most likely be gone. Crawley could stay depending on what they expect from him. He is injury free so who knows.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he's in the AHL for more than ten or so games I would assume he goes back to Russia. I know last year was tough for him with the injury, but honestly I didn't even think he looked very good when he was healthy.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As for Hajek/Reunanen, I think the team has invested a lot in Hajek and the will give him every opportunity to win a spot. He won a spot ahead of Lindgren even though to me, Lindgren was clearly more ready and having a better camp.

I think it will be the same for Reunanen. They will give Hajek every chance to win a spot and if he and Hajek are close, Hajek will get the spot. Reunanen will need to substantially outplay Hajek to make it ahead of him.

Hajek will also be in the last year of his ELC and they'll need to figure out what they have with him.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As for Hajek/Reunanen, I think the team has invested a lot in Hajek and the will give him every opportunity to win a spot. He won a spot ahead of Lindgren even though to me, Lindgren was clearly more ready and having a better camp.

I think it will be the same for Reunanen. They will give Hajek every chance to win a spot and if he and Hajek are close, Hajek will get the spot. Reunanen will need to substantially outplay Hajek to make it ahead of him.

Hajek will also be in the last year of his ELC and they'll need to figure out what they have with him.

I'm afraid they are going to force Hajek on the team to sort of justify the McDonagh trade.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I was very high on Rykov then he got some weird injury was out for a long time then they were raving about him in Hartford after he returned and then it seems like crickets which I guess means he either sucked or was invisible, which is not a bad thing for a defenseman.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I was very high on Rykov then he got some weird injury was out for a long time then they were raving about him in Hartford after he returned and then it seems like crickets which I guess means he either sucked or was invisible, which is not a bad thing for a defenseman.
He had an ankle injury that kept him out until December, IIRC. When he debited he looked rusty, and despite some nice games after that, to me never really looked settled in. Or particularly good. I'm hopeful he sticks around this year because he does have some talent, but if he's assigned to Hartford to start 20-21 I think he'll probably use his EAC and bolt. Which sucks, because of he does that, it's unlikely he ever comes back.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Was a healthy scratch an awful lot the last month of the season.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
In the handful of Pack games I watched last year, Rykov ranged from abysmal to average.

I never seen enough of him to form a strong opinion, but colour me skeptical that he is still with the organization this time next year.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
In the handful of Pack games I watched last year, Rykov ranged from abysmal to average.

I never seen enough of him to form a strong opinion, but colour me skeptical that he is still with the organization this time next year.

that is sad, I had really high expectations from him being a shutdown Dman.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
do you know why? What is the point of AHL developing players if they are healthy scratching player that already lost many games due to injury?
FWIW--at the time, there was a report, I can't remember from where, that he had suffered some type of injury. He missed four or five games, came back (and scored a goal IIRC), then missed four or five more. I think that took us to the end of the season. Only recently have I seen his absence described as a healthy scratch.

Now, I do believe he was a healthy scratch. I have no reason not to. But, something else was reported at the time, I just can't remember by who. I'm sure it's in the Hartford thread if you go back to that timeframe.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
do you know why? What is the point of AHL developing players if they are healthy scratching player that already lost many games due to injury?
Even at Traverse City before the injury he was just a guy. Guys at TC need to jump off the ice at you for them to have a chance at the NHL. Reunanen was just nice at the same tourney.

It doesn’t mean they’re bums, doesn’t mean they can’t make it(but it usually does) just that they’re not even close to ready.

Apparently Rykov didn’t progress coming off of injury(to be fair, tough to progress with that much time off.)

Now that can be the directive of Drury wanting to instill a winning culture ahead of development, but I’m not in the room.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Rykov was ridiculous with games missed. Too bad. He had potential. I still think I would look at him if I was a team just starting to rebuild.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If I remember Rykov had a high ankle sprain from the Traverse tournament and that kind of injury can take a long time to get over. I had one when I was 23 years old (I got it at bootcamp) and it hung with me for months and months. There might have been another injury during the season. The Wolfpack don't put out much information on injuries. Rykov was probably never at 100% last year. Rykov should become a very good NHL defenseman.....at least if he sticks with it.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Did I miss something ? He didn’t go overseas right ?

If he’s healthy he can have another chance at camp . We won’t see Robertson or Jones this year and shouldn’t rush Miller

So let Hajek , Reunanen, Rykov battle for a spot

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
FWIW--at the time, there was a report, I can't remember from where, that he had suffered some type of injury. He missed four or five games, came back (and scored a goal IIRC), then missed four or five more. I think that took us to the end of the season. Only recently have I seen his absence described as a healthy scratch.

Now, I do believe he was a healthy scratch. I have no reason not to. But, something else was reported at the time, I just can't remember by who. I'm sure it's in the Hartford thread if you go back to that timeframe.

The problem with the AHL that I have noticed is that they don't distinguish between healthy and injured players when designating them as a scratch.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If they're both healthy, I would not be surprised to see Reunanen & Rykov be the finalists for the last roster spot, assuming Staal & Smith are still here next season. Reunanen brings a more dynamic puck moving game, with Rykov being better defensively

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
If they're both healthy, I would not be surprised to see Reunanen & Rykov be the finalists for the last roster spot, assuming Staal & Smith are still here next season. Reunanen brings a more dynamic puck moving game, with Rykov being better defensively
Reunanen is a poor man’s Gilmour.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
...So let Hajek , Reunanen, Rykov battle for a spot

IIRC, Miller not eligible for the summer.
Hajek likely a lock if comes back and looks good.

It's been a few weeks since the chatter about a 28 skater roster, nothing formal has been announced yet, to my knowledge

I won't be surprised IF Rykov is overlooked for the summer, given his incomplete season.
RHD's Raddysh, Ebert, along with drafted LHDs Crawley, Reunanen, all also in the mix for 1 or 2 spots behind the likely Hajek.
We don't know if, or how many, euro players. who went back, won't rejoin, for various reasons
(most of us probably saw this Visa concern in the hockey press
NHLers in need of visa extensions 'strongly encouraged' to return by June 21 - Sportsnet.ca)

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
It would be smart to dress Hajek for enough NHL games to be the required expansion exposee, IMO.

Rykov can battle for a 6/7 spot if Staal and/or Smith are bought out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad