Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
We have needed it for decades. Find it so strange that year after year they just never addressed it?

Trouba is by far the most physical dman the club has.
ADA can play physical, and even stand up for himself.

Looking forward to see id Lindgren can make the squad as as well as Rykov.

Miller was labeled a physical dman in his draft year. Ive yet to see him play that style yet. No question the tools are there. Guy is a physical beast. Hoping he plays with that edge.

All of the aforementioned can also skate. Future looking real bright!!!!
ADA can play with edge. That's different than physical.

He still gets displaced WAY too easily.

Reactions: eco's bones

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
it would be beyond dumb to buyout shattenkirk....we are not a playoff team at all next season....if he plays well you can trade him at the deadline, i find it hard to believe that at 50% no one will take him, thats completely crap

It has been reported by Edge and others that no one will, in fact, take him at 50% right now. That may change as the summer rolls on, at the deadline, or next summer, but I think it would be naive to suggest that those reports are wrong.

If Fox is on the team and playing regularly, there may not be an opportunity for Shattenkirk to rebuild his value.

As I've pointed out several times, the buyout isn't as bad as people think. Yes, he will cost 6.083 mil in dead cap space next year. He will cost 6.65 mil if he's on the team. If you replace him with Fox, it's pretty much a wash. On top of that, Girardi's cap hit drops by 2.5 mil, and both Spooner (900k) and Beleskey (825k) will be off the books.

Years 3 and 4 aren't significant amounts (1.433 mil each) and will be easily offset by the increase in the cap when the new TV deal is factored in, likely in year 4 when our big ELCs are up (Kakko and Kravtsov).

The cap penalties will run out at the same time that Girardi's does.

If we need the cap space this year, buy him out. If we don't, don't.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

He definately plays with an Edge, but I do think he is physical for his size. 2nd more physical dman the club has. Any player his size is going to have a hard time containing bigger physical forwards. For ADA, at least he's in the fight. Some of the players the Rangers have employed won't sniff the corners of the rink if a Myles Wood is barreling down the wing.

Also think when there are a few guys that are willing to stand up for themselves that it becomes infections and other players follow suit. ADA is the first to stick his face in a scrum.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
it would be beyond dumb to buyout shattenkirk....we are not a playoff team at all next season....if he plays well you can trade him at the deadline, i find it hard to believe that at 50% no one will take him, thats completely crap

I dont think they should buy him out either. Let him play another season. Club is still in the rebuild mode. If he can regain some value, it's a huge plus. His buyout on paper looks disgusting. Rangers should keep that cap clear in case, they have the opportunity to take a player who is going to command a larger contract who is actually worth it. A future RFA for next year perhaps. A center perhaps.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
How many buyouts do we get and how many of those buyouts do we get to use a free pass on? Weve already bought out girardi and it looks like quite a few members of this board are also interested in buying out shattenkirk, Smith, and Lundqvist. Cant wait to see 10m in dead caphits in a year or 2 in your roster cap calculators.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How many buyouts do we get and how many of those buyouts do we get to use a free pass on? Weve already bought out girardi and it looks like quite a few members of this board are also interested in buying out shattenkirk, Smith, and Lundqvist. Cant wait to see 10m in dead caphits in a year or 2 in your roster cap calculators.

We can buy out as many players as we want during the regular period, which is going on now and end on the 30th. There are no free passes though. There are no buyouts that don't come with a penalty. There were 2 compliance buyouts in the last CBA, but those had to be used, and were used, in the 2 years following the CBA.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
leadership is nice and all but the prospect of our young LHD "learning" from Marc Staal should be terrifying.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
We can buy out as many players as we want during the regular period, which is going on now and end on the 30th. There are no free passes though. There are no buyouts that don't come with a penalty. There were 2 compliance buyouts in the last CBA, but those had to be used, and were used, in the 2 years following the CBA.
I was being facetious lol. I dont understand why anyone would want to carry dead cap space when you can just ride it out this year. Shattys value is as low as it can be right now.

Reactions: broadwayblue

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
leadership is nice and all but the prospect of our young LHD "learning" from Marc Staal should be terrifying.
I have no problem with them learning from him, leadership is a lot more than on ice talent and judging by comments from young players over the years Marc is very well respected within the locker room and goes out of his way to help the new guys.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I was being facetious lol. I dont understand why anyone would want to carry dead cap space when you can just ride it out this year. Shattys value is as low as it can be right now.

Agreed, why carry dead space for twice as many years when we don't need the space as much now as we will 2 or 3 years from now? Cap space is arguably the most important thing a team can have, and we don't need it now in year two of the rebuild.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

It depends on what other moves we make. If we need that space, then it makes sense to buy him out. If we don't need it, keep him as the 6th/7th dman depending on Fox.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

This is one of my least favorite points of logic ever. Absolutely awful.

Veterans don't teach young players puck skills, positional play, or decision making. That's up to the coaching staff. Veterans teach them how to survive the NHL, how to be a pro, how to conduct yourself on the ice and in the locker room. Coaches help with that stuff too, but the vets are the ones providing the example for the kids to learn from and follow. And no, a vet can't do it without being on the team and in the lineup.

Everyone should be ecstatic that they'd be learning from Staal.

Last edited:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
God. When these two years are over, I'll throw a party. You know people will keep talking smack and proposing unrealistic trade offers.

I can only agree, that it is a good think that we have Marc Staal being a mentor. As of now I really like the mix of vets and possible rooks.
Also contract-wise, lotta ELCs that will be up just in time when the albatross contracts will have ended.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This is one of my least favorite points of logic ever. Absolutely awful.

Veterans don't teach young players puck skills, positional play, or decision making. That's up to the coaching staff. Veterans teach them how to survive the NHL, how to be a pro, how to conduct yourself on the ice and in the locker room. Coaches help with that stuff too, but the vets are the ones providing the example for the kids to learn from and follow. And no, a vet can't do it without being on the team and in the lineup.

Everyone should be ecstatic that they'd be learning from Staal.
:clap:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Marc Staal was a good defenseman before his eye was taken out. Just because he can't play the game at a high level anymore doesn't mean how he thinks the game has changed.

He doesn’t think the game all that well though.

He needs to not play if this team wants to be any good this year. All of the leadershiping can happen between games.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Great post. I think people see things such as his knocking out Okposo and mistake that for Tony being a physical player. Tony knows how to fight but as far as giving and taking hits he's not really a physical player. Fights and scrums aren't really what being a physical player is all about--hitting and being able to take a hit is what it's about. They are the things that wear down players or teams and it's something that needs to happen game to game. Tony does not hit all that much or all that hard. He's not that big or strong that he can stand a pounding all game long. That's not him. He is a puck mover and he needs to rely on skating and positioning to be effective defensively and that's something he still needs to work on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad