Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign UDFA Justin Richards

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't know much about Richards or Khodorenko. I do know that the UFAs that turn out to be good are usually in demand from 25+ teams.

Neal Pionk had that type of following. He's produced in the NHL, terrible defensively, but playing in an inflated role with the Rangers didn't help him. Jake Muzzin was another one. Fingers crossed that it works out for both. The Rangers don't have a lot of forward prospects pushing for a NHL spot right now.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Not every prospect is going to be a big offensive type player. You need strong defensive minded forwards, especially for the 4th line. You also need to be able to cycle them in and out as they establish themselves and become more expensive.

Their current depth situation up front is not ideal, especially the callups that have been shuffled around the lineup. The last game they played, the 4th line was a good line, but they were one injury away from having to call up their last viable forward option in Gettinger.

If one of these three UDFA signings make the NHL, that's a win for the team. Also, Hartford lost Nieves and the team went into the shitter down the middle. We talk about the big club not having centers that can play solidly, once Hartford lost Chytil early on, Nieves and Fontaine to injury, their depth was really tested and the tide started to turn quickly down there.

Center is just a position that there is really no depth in and signing a few guys to UDFA contracts can help that, especially at that level. The Rangers need to be confident that calling someone up won't destroy what Hartford is doing in the future. That's how you build success at all levels.

Also, I would not be shocked if this means Nieves is done here, as well as someone like O'Regan. Maybe one is kept, but there isn't a drafted player that will be coming in to play center, unless Barron does. Henriksson signed an SHL contract. They need bodies, and they are taking chances on some 21-22 year olds instead of more veteran AHL centers.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
UMD was a very good team to watch. Perunivich is going to be a really good NHLer for the Blues. Noah Cates is another player for them. It's interesting I couldn't really name a lot of the guys on that team, but they played a very advanced pro style system for college hockey. I don't know much about Richards at all, but really like the signing. HFD is going to have a lot of slots open up, and the Rangers legitimately need bottom 6 players that can play at both the AHL and NHL level.

IMO the following guys aren't going to be brought back or tendered:
  • Belesky
  • Haley
  • Lettieri
  • O'Regan
  • Nieves
  • Leedahl
  • Gropp
  • Crawley
  • Fontaine
  • Fogarty
  • Ebert
So that's 11 out of a 23 man roster at the AHL level. Granted some of the guys listed played in the coast league, it's still a lot of open slots. I'd like to see another 3-4 AHL veterans brought back. Hopefully those are some good character guys who can help some of the younger kids along.

In respect to the 3 or 4 AHL veterans I think there might be some likelihood that the Rangers would look at Fogarty and Nieves. The Rangers IMO like both these guys quite a lot. To me Nieves has a decent chance of making and sticking with the Rangers anyway. I like him better than Greg McKegg to be honest and he's a decent penalty killer. Size, skating, strength are all really good. Offensive instincts are subpar and he's had some injuries---and at least 2/3 concussions. If he's iffy it's more because of that I'd think.

Reactions: Avery16

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't know much about Richards or Khodorenko. I do know that the UFAs that turn out to be good are usually in demand from 25+ teams.

Neal Pionk had that type of following. He's produced in the NHL, terrible defensively, but playing in an inflated role with the Rangers didn't help him. Jake Muzzin was another one. Fingers crossed that it works out for both. The Rangers don't have a lot of forward prospects pushing for a NHL spot right now.

Neal Pionk is a good player and Winnipeg got a lot of mileage out of him this year. 45 points in 71 games and led the team in average ice time with over 23 minutes. He was their main power play point option and got a decent amount of penalty killing time though he wasn't their first option. Winnipeg IMO played him more towards his strengths than the Rangers did. Some situations work better for players than others though. The trade to the Jets works well for Pionk. It worked well for the Rangers too. I'd actually call Pionk + Heinola for Trouba right now an even trade. If Heinola becomes a very good top 4 it might lean more towards the Jets but still for the Rangers Trouba stabilizes the D taking the harder matchups also allows for DeAngelo and Fox to play more to their strengths.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
SO he was the best player in his league 2 yrs straight ? Or one of ... yet not a top prospect so it’s a weaker league?
He was the best defensive player. Which for a sophomore, is really impressive, and to do it twice in a row is fantastic. He really is a spark plug, he moves nonstop. Up and down the ice.

NCHC is a really good conference. North Dakota is probably the best team in the country and were the favorites to win it all this year. The last four champions were UMD (Richards' team) twice, Denver, and North Dakota. So, the last four champions came from NCHC and they may have added a fifth this year.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Young forward who excels defensively? Sign me up.

I don’t care if he’s talentless like Ortymeyer or Betts; we could absolutely use a forward of that mold in our system.

A lot of people don’t give a damn about bottom 6 forwards, until they realize they don’t have many, and the few they do are overpaid.

I don’t watch enough NCAA to know much about Richards like some of ya, but this is a signing you can’t really complain about. (Unless you’re that poster from a few weeks ago freaking out about the number of contracts we’re at).
This.

I'm sick of a fourth line that looks like the leftovers from a garage sale.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
no one thought Jed Ortmeyer made it when he was signed. so maybe one of these guys can surprise and stick with the Rangers. better than signing the old McKegg Haley Carey types

Oh yeah, I wasn't downplaying anything. Just the realities of these kinds of signings. You never know.

That being said, McKegg Haley Carey types serve a really good purpose in the organization so long as they stay in the AHL (I'd argue McKegg had been a pretty good 4th liner in the latter few months of what we got). You need quality veterans in the minors to help your youth along.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Oh yeah, I wasn't downplaying anything. Just the realities of these kinds of signings. You never know.

That being said, McKegg Haley Carey types serve a really good purpose in the organization so long as they stay in the AHL (I'd argue McKegg had been a pretty good 4th liner in the latter few months of what we got). You need quality veterans in the minors to help your youth along.

what i dont get is why Haley was here when Phil Di should have been here from day one, glad he is RFA and hope he will be back. Haley was good at fighting and useless everywhere else.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
what i dont get is why Haley was here when Phil Di should have been here from day one, glad he is RFA and hope he will be back. Haley was good at fighting and useless everywhere else.
obvi Pack's strong start was helped by deeper stronger roster w PDG, Fil and Lindgren.
But yeah Haley was waste, and Smith on the wing had its best benefit when he played 2d pair PK,
PDG could've come up sooner

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Neal Pionk is a good player and Winnipeg got a lot of mileage out of him this year. 45 points in 71 games and led the team in average ice time with over 23 minutes. He was their main power play point option and got a decent amount of penalty killing time though he wasn't their first option. Winnipeg IMO played him more towards his strengths than the Rangers did. Some situations work better for players than others though. The trade to the Jets works well for Pionk. It worked well for the Rangers too. I'd actually call Pionk + Heinola for Trouba right now an even trade. If Heinola becomes a very good top 4 it might lean more towards the Jets but still for the Rangers Trouba stabilizes the D taking the harder matchups also allows for DeAngelo and Fox to play more to their strengths.

I don't think anybody is winning a Cup with Trouba as their top 2 Dman. So I think the trade so far looks like a fail.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I don't think anybody is winning a Cup with Trouba as their top 2 Dman. So I think the trade so far looks like a fail.
lotta guys aren't their best first year in a new town, i expect Trouba to be better and more consistent going forward
Trouba wasn't even that bad,
IMHO his playing his big minutes contributes to Fox and ADA being able to be so effective in their icetime
...fire away ...

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
lotta guys aren't their best first year in a new town, i expect Trouba to be better and more consistent going forward
IMHO his playing his big minutes contributes to Fox and ADA being able to be so effective in their icetime
...fire away ...
Trouba has not been bad. Take into the fact he finally got his wish to be trade, it was his first time traded at the NHL level new system coaches expectations. He'll rebound next year. He seems like a good character guy.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
In respect to the 3 or 4 AHL veterans I think there might be some likelihood that the Rangers would look at Fogarty and Nieves. The Rangers IMO like both these guys quite a lot. To me Nieves has a decent chance of making and sticking with the Rangers anyway. I like him better than Greg McKegg to be honest and he's a decent penalty killer. Size, skating, strength are all really good. Offensive instincts are subpar and he's had some injuries---and at least 2/3 concussions. If he's iffy it's more because of that I'd think.

I disagree because think it's time for a change- for both players. If you think about it, they've both been with the org for 8-9 years and don't have a shot at making it, so it's fair for the players to move on and try to make more money elsewhere. Europe or with another team. I don't think Nieves brings anything to a winning equation. He's also not a 4A player at the AHL level, so he might have a much better career in Europe.

You need guys that are hungry and are looking for a fresh start, otherwise it gets stagnant for the players and the AHL team. Fogarty has done a great job in the AHL, but he's a 15th forward, or a guy that gets a call-up as a job well done reward. I think getting an older veteran is a must, similar to what Luke Richardson was for OTT before he retired, and some fresh blood in the AHL.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This.

I'm sick of a fourth line that looks like the leftovers from a garage sale.

Yeah for sure- you need that 4th line to be able to play a tight checking and high energy game at 5v5. If you have one that can go up against a top 6 unit, then you are entering into a winning situation because that is going to free up a scoring unit to go up against a lesser unit.

There are only maybe 4-5 teams in a given season that can manage the above, and they are all usually contenders.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The type of player they are, how dominant they were at college level. It's very rare that UDFAs from college become even serviceable players in the NHL, especially when they spend all 4 years in college. Even Khodorenko's chances are slim, but I think he has the best odds out of the 3. Obviously, it's just anyone's guess.

You should really try watching college hockey.

Reactions: eco's bones

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
no one thought Jed Ortmeyer made it when he was signed. so maybe one of these guys can surprise and stick with the Rangers. better than signing the old McKegg Haley Carey types
I agree. Better to fill those roles in-house. It gives players motivation, as well, when they know there’s a path to The Show. Also saving a couple million to improve the top lines, these days, could be a game changer.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
...fire away ...
I’m thrilled with Trouba, frankly. He eats up tough minutes and allows Fox and ADA to gobble up the spoils, Pac-Man style. He clogs up the neutral zone well and gives opponents alligator arms, too. He swings and misses, sure, but on the whole I love his game. He’s also more durable than I had expected.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I disagree because think it's time for a change- for both players. If you think about it, they've both been with the org for 8-9 years and don't have a shot at making it, so it's fair for the players to move on and try to make more money elsewhere. Europe or with another team. I don't think Nieves brings anything to a winning equation. He's also not a 4A player at the AHL level, so he might have a much better career in Europe.

You need guys that are hungry and are looking for a fresh start, otherwise it gets stagnant for the players and the AHL team. Fogarty has done a great job in the AHL, but he's a 15th forward, or a guy that gets a call-up as a job well done reward. I think getting an older veteran is a must, similar to what Luke Richardson was for OTT before he retired, and some fresh blood in the AHL.
I agree with the principle, and in Nieves case I also agree it’s time for him to move on. But I do sense a little more of an opportunity for Fogarty. Certainly debatable. But just my feeling.

Reactions: Mikos87

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’m thrilled with Trouba, frankly. He eats up tough minutes and allows Fox and ADA to gobble up the spoils, Pac-Man style. He clogs up the neutral zone well and gives opponents alligator arms, too. He swings and misses, sure, but on the whole I love his game. He’s also more durable than I had expected.

and is good and starting scrums and getting a player off the ice.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I agree with the principle, and in Nieves case I also agree it’s time for him to move on. But I do sense a little more of an opportunity for Fogarty. Certainly debatable. But just my feeling.

Fair enough. Fogie's a good guy but my thinking is that after 9 years with an organization and not making more than a college allowance, and a minor league salary, a guy deserves and will look to make a larger amount elsewhere.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fair enough. Fogie's a good guy but my thinking is that after 9 years with an organization and not making more than a college allowance, and a minor league salary, a guy deserves and will look to make a larger amount elsewhere.
I definitely think he will, but I'm not sure he's going to find more money anywhere else. The Rangers gave him $150,000 as a minor league salary last year, and one would assume if they want to keep him would offer him more on either an AHL deal or NHL two-way contract. Would someone else offer him more? Possibly? I could see him leaving if someone offered him an NHL contract, because that's the opportunity he obviously wants, though that seems really unlikely. I think it will come down to whether the Rangers want to keep him or not. There won't be a bidding war for him.

EDIT: Also, he made approximately $650K in four years since signing, per CapFriendly, so he still made a decent chunk of change.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Young forward who excels defensively? Sign me up.

I don’t care if he’s talentless like Ortymeyer or Betts; we could absolutely use a forward of that mold in our system.

A lot of people don’t give a damn about bottom 6 forwards, until they realize they don’t have many, and the few they do are overpaid.

I don’t watch enough NCAA to know much about Richards like some of ya, but this is a signing you can’t really complain about. (Unless you’re that poster from a few weeks ago freaking out about the number of contracts we’re at).
That was me. The number of contract spots we have left does freak me out. You don’t understand. I have nightmares every night about this shit. Every few hours, I go online to see if we’ve made another signing and check elite prospects just to be safe.

No but in all seriousness, it’s whatever. I’m warming up to Khodorenko, but only because I trust our scouting to some extent. And I like Richards. I don’t care about his numbers in the NCAA (just my opinion), and hopefully he’ll at least be a decent bottom 6 call-up. Maybe even a regular 4th liner, which seems ideal for his skill set. While I think Khodorenko has more upside, there’s a slim chance he cracks our middle 6, which would mean that if he did make it to the NHL and reach his realistic potential, he would be in our bottom 6. And I would prefer Richards over him in that scenario. But I’m no expert.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->