Rumor: Rangers Sign Marek Mazanec to One Year Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
According to CapFriendly and CBSSports.com, Rangers have extended goalie Marek Mazanec to a supposed one year, two-way deal. Good competition for the back up spot & a solid starter in Hartford!!

Thoughts?

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Rangers' Marek Mazanec: Under Rangers' control through 2018-19

Did not know we have had his rights since December???

On 6 December 2017, the New York Rangers signed Mazanec and immediately assigned him to their AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack.[7]

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did not know we have had his rights since December???

On 6 December 2017, the New York Rangers signed Mazanec and immediately assigned him to their AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack.[7]

Yeah, he started the season in Bratislava. Saw him in late October vs SKA (my team bought tickets to the game as a birthday gift). He came off the bench to replace Stepanek early in the 2nd after he conceded 3 goals. We needed a more experienced goalie in Hartford and he was a good signing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Makes me think Georgiev is anticipated as the NHL backup.

Or they bring in a veteran and the three of these guys battle it out. We were just discussing this in the Prospect Thread.

Reactions: eco's bones

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Makes me think Georgiev is anticipated as the NHL backup.

Or they bring in a veteran and the three of these guys battle it out. We were just discussing this in the Prospect Thread.
Have a feeling it'll be this.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Have a feeling it'll be this.
It might be. My only thing with going that route is that that Mazanec has never really had NHL success, and even his AHL performances have been a mixed bag. Are they really thinking that this guy has a legitimate shot at winning the job? Given that Lundqvist is around and needs his reps to get ready, is it really ideal to have all non-Lundqvist time split between a marginal guy like Mazanec, whatever Pavelec-level backup they add, and then Georgiev who looked pretty good but has spent such a short time in North America? I don't know, I like competition, but I'm really unenthusiastic about Mazanec and I can't imagine the other guy they bring in is going to be anything great. I'd rather they just have Mazanec be the AHL starter and emergency backup, and Georgiev battle someone like Pavelec (or even Pavelec himself) for that spot behind Hank.

We'll see how it plays out, I suppose.

Reactions: eco's bones

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This is a meh move to me. He’s the #3 to me right now behind Georgiev, and if they sign a vet backup, he’ll bump down to #4. This is the last year I expect to see Halverson or Nell in the organization, so I guess there’s an organization-wide competition for goalie depth.

I still want to hold out hope for Halverson, but he’s been incredibly disappointing. I hope we’ve learned our lesson with taking goalies that early in the draft.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I was not thrilled when Mazanec was brought in last year but he wasn’t bad in the AHL (wasn’t great either) but his presence seemed to stabilized Georgiev which in itself is positive. So while I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rangers sign an NHL vet to fight these two to be Lundqvist’s backup, I think AHL back up is more likely).

Georgiev could be expected to make between 20-25 starts as Lundqvist ‘s main back up and probably another 10-15 starts in the AHL during 2 or 3 games weekend. This assumes Lundqvist will stay healthy.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I was not thrilled when Mazanec was brought in last year but he wasn’t bad in the AHL (wasn’t great either) but his presence seemed to stabilized Georgiev which in itself is positive. So while I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rangers sign an NHL vet to fight these two to be Lundqvist’s backup, I think AHL back up is more likely).

Georgiev could be expected to make between 20-25 starts as Lundqvist ‘s main back up and probably another 10-15 starts in the AHL during 2 or 3 games weekend. This assumes Lundqvist will stay healthy.

Wasn't Mazanec really good after Georgie got promoted?

I recall him having a purple patch at one point.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mazanec is pretty good at the NHL level. He's hardly any time at the NHL level though.

I really like Georgiev a lot. He looked to me like a future NHL starter. He was getting shelled most nights and he had a shit defense in front of him and put up a .918 save % and won 4 games with a depleted team. That said if Henrik plays 60 games that's really not enough left over IMO for a 22 year old. I'd like to see him playing 35 games anyway next year.

The other thing is we have Nell and Halverson both of whom have been fairly unimpressive and both who still have 1 contract year to go. IMO we should dump one of them and the other can be the backup in Hartford or the ECHL/AHL recall guy if we sign another goalie. If Georgiev spends most of his time in Hartford he should play at least as much as Mazanec if not more.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Wasn't Mazanec really good after Georgie got promoted?

I recall him having a purple patch at one point.

Mazanec was very good when he took over after Georgiev struggled earlier in the season. Hartford went on a run and looked like they had a good chance at the playoffs. Mazanec got hurt, Georgiev took over and played well, then Georgiev got called up. Mazanec came back, but didn't have the same success, though that probably wasn't entirely his fault. Half the Hartford defense was called up too.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Definitely a good depth signing. We can call this one official now, as TSN is reporting the signing under their transaction page!!

Mods?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I got excited when I read that as “Mrazek” — only to recall that he’s with Philly now. So disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad