Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Malte Stromwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Another one in a long list of players that can thrive with some extra space on the ice but just can't translate the skill to smaller ice. Oh well.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
And another in a long list of players who failed to develop at all in the dump known as Hartford.
It's obvious things haven't been great there but I don't think calling it a dump is fair either. In the past three seasons they've had two different coaches and two different NHL "regimes" to serve. Not to mention the overall organisational shift from contender to rebuild and all the player turnover.
Again, not completely disagreeing but I think they probably deserve one more chance.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It's not always easy getting players like Caggiula. His road to the NHL would probably be easier with other teams than the Rangers. You make money a lot faster if you go straight to the NHL.

Not saying you're wrong, but what makes you think that his road to the NHL with the Rangers would be difficult. It's not like this squad is packed with perennial all-stars.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not saying you're wrong, but what makes you think that his road to the NHL with the Rangers would be difficult. It's not like this squad is packed with perennial all-stars.

You do realize you're pulling a quote from April 12, 2016--almost 3 years ago--or a time when we still had guys like Derek Stepan and were a regular playoff team only two years removed from a Stanley Cup final? The Rangers are quite a bit of a different team then they are now.

Anyway both Stromwall and Kovacs struggled mightily in Hartford--Stromwall even spent some time in the ECHL. I have to say I never understood why we hung so long with Gernander. Did he ruin these guys? I think it's arguable that a bunch of players that played for him got no benefit from his coaching. He seemed to want to turn out 4th line checkers and bottom pairing defensemen. Hartford was a graveyard where prospects went to die.

Kovacs IMO was signed too soon. He wasn't ready to come over. I think he was dyslexic if I remember right and there were other things. He had issues and he still seems to have them. As far as Stromwall whatever we think of him as a player now--he's mid-20's and I don't think even in the best of circumstances he's top 6 NHL material--so I'd have to look at him in a checking and chipping in on offense role and I'm not sure he would thrive in that regard.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Talent aside--what most prospects need to do is to find a role that allows them to move up to the NHL. It might not be a role in which they put up a lot of offense. Look at someone like Fast--he was never a huge point producer in the AHL. He is a heads up player who skates and forechecks well and knows his defensive responsibilities. He is a good penalty killer. It's not like he doesn't have any talent but he seemed to realize right off that not everyone is going to score lots of goals and points so he worked on developing an overall game. I think some prospects when they don't score a lot lose confidence and don't accentuate other parts of their games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Strömwall was completely invisible. I mean, more so than Kovacs, even. I blame Gernander for a lot, but I don't think Strömwall was on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad