Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Lauri Pajuniemi to ELC [2Y/925K AAV]

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No surprise here. Last summer Pajuniemi told me that he and the Rangers had a plan for him to play in Liiga for 1 more year. Happy he got his ELC.

2 year deal, which takes him to RFA with salary arbitration in 2023. He will start in Hartford as he has indicated he has no desire to play in Liiga anymore.

VFUVtr4.png

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No surprise here. Last summer Pajuniemi told me that he and the Rangers had a plan for him to play in Liiga for 1 more year. Happy he got his ELC.

2 year deal, which takes him to RFA with salary arbitration in 2023. He will start in Hartford as he has indicated he has no desire to play in Liiga anymore.

VFUVtr4.png
I thought you were pretty confident the whole year that he would play one more season in Finland?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'll be interested to see how his game translates. The shot is money, but he'll have to work harder to use it now. As you saw with guys like Lindqvist and Meskanen recently, guys that thrive off finding time and space to rip one timers can face a difficult adjustment. I'm also not thrilled with the general quality of Liiga over the past few years.

That said, he has improved his overall game, so he shouldn't be completely worthless in a bottom six/limited or no PP capacity.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I thought you were pretty confident the whole year that he would play one more season in Finland?

No. What I said was that I expected him to sign his contract, and then either start in Hartford OR get loaned back to a team in Liiga. Until he openly said he has no desire to play in Liiga anymore, last week.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'll be interested to see how his game translates. The shot is money, but he'll have to work harder to use it now. As you saw with guys like Lindqvist and Meskanen recently, guys that thrive off finding time and space to rip one timers can face a difficult adjustment. I'm also not thrilled with the general quality of Liiga over the past few years.

That said, he has improved his overall game, so he shouldn't be completely worthless in a bottom six/limited or no PP capacity.

He has worked on his game a lot the last 2 years. Kakko leaving was the catalyst he needed. He was put on the top line and leads all players in goals in Liiga since then, despite missing 20+ games. If he can adjust to the faster game in the AHL, and be decent defensively, he can be a valuable asset for us. Olofsson is the desired outcome here. In terms of former Rangers, I always saw a lot of 2013-14 Benoit Pouliot in his game. Let's hope he can live up to that.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He has worked on his game a lot the last 2 years. Kakko leaving was the catalyst he needed. He was put on the top line and leads all players in goals in Liiga since then, despite missing 20+ games. If he can adjust to the faster game in the AHL, and be decent defensively, he can be a valuable asset for us. Olofsson is the desired outcome here. In terms of former Rangers, I always saw a lot of 2013-14 Benoit Pouliot in his game. Let's hope he can live up to that.
I know his situation. I think Olofsson is a pipe dream. Pouliot-like production is far more realistic.

He's going to have a hard time breaking through. As we all know, we're stacked at wing. He's not going to displace Panarin, Kakko, Kravtsov, Lafreniere, Buchnevich (while he's here), or Kreider (while he's still good). He'll have to beat out Barron. And so on. I think he'll need the whole year in Hartford and then some good fortune to find a spot where he can play to his strengths down the road.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Really excited for this guy. Very underrated I think. For guys with only one elite asset, I’ll take a guy with an elite shot, and he seems to have one.

If only there was a way to voodoo magic his shot into Kakko’s body. :naughty:

Reactions: EdJovanovski

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No. What I said was that I expected him to sign his contract, and then either start in Hartford OR get loaned back to a team in Liiga. Until he openly said he has no desire to play in Liiga anymore, last week.
Ah ok. Seemed like over the year you were very much pushing he was going to play another year there.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I dunno Pouliot has some bite in his game, does Lauri even have an edge, will be drop the gloves cause Pouliot had that with the speed and skill he had. always wanted him back. Pouliot was also 4th overall pick. i don't see any similarities at all. I was thinking of Josef Balej as a comparison

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I dunno Pouliot has some bite in his game, does Lauri even have an edge, will be drop the gloves cause Pouliot had that with the speed and skill he had. always wanted him back. Pouliot was also 4th overall pick. i don't see any similarities at all. I was thinking of Josef Balej as a comparison

And Yakupov was a 1st overall pick.....

Pouliot's single season career high is 36 points, with the Rangers. Him being a 4th overall pick really should not be brought up in a comparison, at all.

Stylistically, Pajuniemi has a lot of things in common with Pouliot. I just hope Pajuniemi can work on his defense a bit more. That first year in Hartford will be very telling of where he ends up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad