Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Rangers sign G Dustin Tokarski [1yr, 0.65M AAV]

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Tokarski is really just a 3rd stringer. But after a couple teams have had a string of injuries recently, these 3rd/4th string goalies will continue to get contracts. Gotta have depth.

CHI played an emergency guy, Scott Foster. Vegas had to go 5 deep with Dansk and Ferguson. Arizona played 5 different backups. And that's just this season. Last year we had Budaj go from the AHL to playing 58 games for a playoff team in LA.

Tokarski might be the backup on the rangers, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get a different goalie, or bring someone over from overseas, to push Tokarski down the depth chart.

Reactions: Fixxer

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'm sure Ranger fans remember him well.

246a2368605aa23849d05aa745e109b2--chris-kreider-ice-hockey.jpg

Reactions: Deam78 and Master P

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not sure how he factors in - maybe backup if they'd rather play Georgiev in the AHL. I don't know though, I think George might be above that level after his play last year.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Habs fans seem to be throwing him under the bus in this thread, but I remember him being loved. There was even a debate back in the day.

Venerating goalies in MTL = oldest team tradition.

Reactions: Pointteen

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Guy's a good hand to have around. Still think the Rangers go with another option as their backup though.

Georgiev is the guy but they need him to play games too so it will be a yo yo all year or him. Up down repeat

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I would think that Georgiev is the backup for sure unless he just falls apart. Still young at 22. I suspect Tokarski will split time in the AHL. Perhaps they will finally stop screwing over Halverson. Had the second best save % on his AHL team and never played. Giving Mazanec a contract was moronic. They should have used it on Zborovskiy.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
What happened to him? Did the Rangers kill his confidence that much?

Montreal went through a string of backups that were not consistent so they looked great during a hot streak and then not great on a cold streak and the fans would treat them like starters instead of inconsistent backups.

Right now that's Niemi, so if he has a couple bad backup starts this season, expect him to be thrown under the bus.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I would think that Georgiev is the backup for sure unless he just falls apart. Still young at 22. I suspect Tokarski will split time in the AHL. Perhaps they will finally stop screwing over Halverson. Had the second best save % on his AHL team and never played. Giving Mazanec a contract was moronic. They should have used it on Zborovskiy.
Screwing over Halverson? Halverson is pretty shit
Zborovskiy had like a good half season in the dub. That’s it, another nothing prospect that’s not really worthy of a contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->