Rumor: Rangers Sign Dawson Leedahl to 3 year ELC

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a 21 year old WHL forward.

This was his first overager year. He was pretty bad prior to this season, but had a big season playing for probably the top team in the CHL in this season. I've watched his team play so many times this season, but I usually only pay attention to the defense, so I really don't know his game that well. He's a big forward with some grit though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Watched him play in Everett a lot and loved his game. He reminds me of Ryan Callahan, but with a better attitude.

Posted this a few years ago. When I was in Seattle, I watched a bunch of Tips games, and he was their captain. Good leader, not too flashy. Long-shot to make it, but worst case scenario, he takes up a spot on our list of 50, while playing either in Greenville or Hartford.

I was at a game there when they played Brandon, and there was a girl in front of me, wearing a jersey with his name haha

gjPT2CJ.jpg

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Was scanning youtube. Apparently, Leedahl is not shy about delivering big hits, and fighting. Also has no qualms defending his star teammates.

Kid definitely plays with an edge.

Here he delivers a hit and then probably knocks a tooth out of the guy he fought:

Here he goes to bat for Sam Steele:

Here he delivers a huge hit and has a tilt immediately after:

These are all recent 2017 videos. Plenty of fights from earlier seasons that I didn't bother to watch...including one with Keegan Kolesar.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As I said, Ryan Callahan style of play. I compared Gropp to Benn earlier this week but I want to point out when I make these comparisons, I talk about style, NOT talent or possible upside.

Leedahl is a gritty kid who doesn't shy away from the physical aspect of the game, while providing leadership as well. Will never be a typical sniper or goal-scorer but in a year or two, who knows what he might bring.

Low risk signing and I love that the Rangers are looking at the WHL. I think personally, signing Leedahl will have something to do with Zboro. The two players, aside from Hart (goalie) and Juulsen (defense) on the Tips team 2 seasons ago, were definitely Leedahl and Bajkov (Still draft eligible)

If he was better, he would be named Dawson Leednhl (I'll show myself out now)

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Love your name for him!!!

Agree on analysis. Not a great prospect but fills an organizational need for size and feistiness. He is one of the better Junior free agent forwards that was still available.

As I said, Ryan Callahan style of play. I compared Gropp to Benn earlier this week but I want to point out when I make these comparisons, I talk about style, NOT talent or possible upside.

Leedahl is a gritty kid who doesn't shy away from the physical aspect of the game, while providing leadership as well. Will never be a typical sniper or goal-scorer but in a year or two, who knows what he might bring.

Low risk signing and I love that the Rangers are looking at the WHL. I think personally, signing Leedahl will have something to do with Zboro. The two players, aside from Hart (goalie) and Juulsen (defense) on the Tips team 2 seasons ago, were definitely Leedahl and Bajkov (Still draft eligible)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I might live in the Netherlands, but my heart lies in the PNW LOL. I follow the WHL, KHL and NHL. It's a lot of fun to see this kid signing with us. It's almost as great as hearing Gropp's name called by us during the draft.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is anyone else pronouncing his name in their head like a donkey would say it?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Official Now:

Not sure if I can change the OP from Rumor to fact, but I'll have a looksee.

EDIT: I can't change it. Maybe a mod will if they so desire.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Not sure I like using a contract slot on this guy, but there's obviously gonna be a lot of turnover in the offseason.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure I like using a contract slot on this guy, but there's obviously gonna be a lot of turnover in the offseason.

There is no downside to this. Some guys have already proven to not be able to produce. I pick a potential pro-player over a certain non pro-player any day of the week.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's a 21 year old WHL forward.

This was his first overager year. He was pretty bad prior to this season, but had a big season playing for probably the top team in the CHL in this season. I've watched his team play so many times this season, but I usually only pay attention to the defense, so I really don't know his game that well. He's a big forward with some grit though.

Sounds like a decent high-floor pickup.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Corny, but I still died :laugh: :laugh:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Big guy who plays big. Hits a lot, as most can tell from the Youtube videos. This year he had an obvious boost in production since he was on a line with Sam Steel, but that wasn't all from just him. He has a good motor and playmaking ability, but not elite level. I think he has the potential to be a bottom 6 utility forward in the mold of Carcillo (but more of a fan favorite, rather than a pest).

Let's just say he's a better contract spot than Chapie.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I might live in the Netherlands, but my heart lies in the PNW LOL. I follow the WHL, KHL and NHL. It's a lot of fun to see this kid signing with us. It's almost as great as hearing Gropp's name called by us during the draft.

Just need to trade for Bear now somehow.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Seems like this guy is a complete product of Sam Steel, but whatever. Free prospect is a free prospect is a free prospect. I'm guess Rangers got a long look at him watching Zboro this year. So. Yeah. Whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->