Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign D Mason Geertsen (2 Years, $725K AAV, Two-Way)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I know this is a largely irrelevant move and has been mentioned in a couple different threads, but just so it's seen, here's a thread. I also don't think we've ever signed a player to an NHL SPC and not had a signing thread. :laugh:

For anyone unfamiliar, he was a fourth round draft pick of the Avalanche several years ago. He signed an AHL deal with Hartford last season and then again this year. The contract is effective for the remainder of this season and next season.

He's a big, plodding defender who can also "play" forward, and Hartford uses him in both spots. He is a poor skater, reasonably sound defensively, and contributes absolutely nothing offensively. He likes to fight and is pretty good at it. That's all I have.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I mean, I don't like wasting contract slots on these types of players, but it's kind of irrelevant in this scenario. This is probably just a nice pay bump for him being a good vet for HFD, despite him not being a good player.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I mean, I don't like wasting contract slots on these types of players, but it's kind of irrelevant in this scenario. This is probably just a nice pay bump for him being a good vet for HFD, despite him not being a good player.
I wish I could make 725k a year to play for Hartford... Not a bad life.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wish I could make 725k a year to play for Hartford... Not a bad life.
It's a two-way deal. He's paid $100K this year and $125K next year for time spent in the minors. Plus, this year the AHL is prorating salaries to 40% of their value (unless there is some sort of guaranteed minimum in the player's contract). So, unless Geertsen has a guarantee, he'll be paid a daily rate based on a $60K salary while he's on Hartford's roster. He'll otherwise only make more if he's on the taxi squad/in the NHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I remember him playing in a preseason game few years back and just looking completely out of his depth.

No way he should be anywhere near the starting lineup over a guy like Raddysh or Reunanen

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I think he only gets the $100k in Hartford.
It's a two-way deal. He's paid $100K this year and $125K next year for time spent in the minors. Plus, this year the AHL is prorating salaries to 40% of their value (unless there is some sort of guaranteed minimum in the player's contract). So, unless Geertsen has a guarantee, he'll be paid a daily rate based on a $60K salary while he's on Hartford's roster. He'll otherwise only make more if he's on the taxi squad/in the NHL.

I wish I could make $60,000 - $100,000 per year to play hockey in Hartford.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
if anyone gives Mason Geertsen NHL ice time they should be fired.

he sucks even at the AHL level.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm okay with signing a guy or two like this for Hartford. It's a weird year for those guys and many have taken off for Euro leagues. The team and coaching staff must love him and he seems like their version of Strudwick which is valuable for a young team. The only problem is the contract slot and Gorton and his team are obviously not concerned.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Makes me wonder if the Rangers feel they need to add muscle they'd give him a few games as an enforcer---most likely playing him as a forward. He is probably the toughest guy we have in our organization.

why cant the Rangers get tough guys with actually NHL skill.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
To me, the only notable aspect here is the 2nd year.
They reward a 'good soldier', maybe also with an occasional paper assignment to NHL Taxi squad for some extra bucks.
But the 2nd year tells me Drury and coach KK like having him around

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I’ve not throughly followed HFD the last years, but when I’ve seen MG play I think that he has been perfectly OK on defense.

To be honest, given how we have been taken advantage of, I don’t mind that we get someone into the system that has a physical dimension.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I can't wait for a Johnson-Geertsen pairing defending a lead with 2 minutes to go in the play offs.
On a Pk. I swear Johnson was on the ice every minute of the 2nd and 3rd period during the Buffalo game. It least it felt that way.

edit: I looked it up he had almost 18mins.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I can't wait for a Johnson-Geertsen pairing defending a lead with 2 minutes to go in the play offs.

I actually think if Geertsen ever got called up we'd throw him on the 4th line. I don't think he has what it takes to be an NHL defenseman and that's more critical than 4th line wing.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He's a dude who his teammates absolutely adore and a guy who will definitely go after people if they f*** around. Very old school type of player.
I looked through some fight videos....surprised he never fought any of the 2 Gallant brothers . Usually guys do to try and unseat Brett Gallant as the AHL heavyweight . Don't see any bouts with McIlrath either.

Reactions: eco's bones

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I’ve not throughly followed HFD the last years, but when I’ve seen MG play I think that he has been perfectly OK on defense.

To be honest, given how we have been taken advantage of, I don’t mind that we get someone into the system that has a physical dimension.
LMAO...put him on the PP next time against the Bruins in front of Rask...baddest thing that might happen is he falls on Rask.....or scores !

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->