Here are the UFA LD signed yesterday for under $1.5m

Brandon Davidson - $700k
Andreas Borgman - $700k
Anthony Bitetto - $737,500
Derrick Pouliot - $700k
Luca Sbisa - $800k
Nathan Beaulieu - $1.25m
Jon Merrill - $925k

Are these guys significantly better than Jack Johnson? No. Maybe slightly, but they're all of about the same quality.
I honestly had no idea Luca Sbisa was still in the league.

But I didn't ask you!:cool:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
and we needed the worst defenseman in the NHL for that? it couldn't be a competent vet?

Wouldn’t a more competent vet be a bigger roadblock to prospects’ getting their reps on the Rangers?

I just said it in the post that you responded that it was a silver lining as I’m sure not many fans are happy with this signing. Here’s a couple of items to put on a positive scale:

1. Low roadblock to overcome for Miller and / or other LD to take over a roster spot
2. Low cost to send to Hartford if needed and be a mentor there
3. Doesn’t stop the Rangers to find a more prominent and competent LD via trades or as other teams continue to put more players on waivers or via buyouts

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Wouldn’t a more competent vet be a bigger roadblock to prospects’ getting their reps on the Rangers?

I just said it in the post that you responded that it was a silver lining as I’m sure not many fans are happy with this signing. Here’s a couple of items to put on a positive scale:

1. Low roadblock to overcome for Miller and / or other LD to take over a roster spot
2. Low cost to send to Hartford if needed and be a mentor there
3. Doesn’t stop the Rangers to find a more prominent and competent LD via trades or as other teams continue to put more players on waivers or via buyouts

I think it's very possible that this conversation happened:

JD: Ok, we need a low-cost, good, left defenseman. What are you thinking?

JG: I have an idea: what if we go in the opposite direction and go out and get the worst defenseman in the league?

JD: You, know, that's just crazy enough that it might work. Ya got moxie kid — I like that.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'd say Jon Merrill is a clear cut best of the lot based on the publicly available data... but... I'd also say that say that my coach of the year was not a nominee for the jack adams.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think it's very possible that this conversation happened:

JD: Ok, we need a low-cost, good, left defenseman. What are you thinking?

JG: I have an idea: what if we go in the opposite direction and go out and get the worst defenseman in the league?

JD: You, know, that's just crazy enough that it might work. Ya got moxie kid — I like that.

I like how quickly JD and JG got on the same page.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
It's really frustrating that Zach Bogosian, who played well for the team that just won the Stanley Cup, signed for 1yr/$1M

If you have to sign Jack Johnson, fine. But why sign him on the first day of free agency - within the first few two of free agency at that? Why give him anything over $1 million, or anything more than league minimum? The Rangers were probably bidding against themselves.

JJ probably isn't going to see that much time in the NHL but any way you look at it this signing is worrying at best. Hire him as the team motivational speaker if he's such a great locker room guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: CasusBelli

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
JD must know him from Columbus and Martin from Pitt. He’s a 6/7 who will likely be the stay at home guy next to ADA. He doesn’t get me revved up but he’s fine for his role. Honestly, kinda funny how many people are generally angry about this move. He didn’t get a 5 year deal ala Staal.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
It would not be the Rangersphere if JG/JD didn't take advantage of an opportunity to thrill and then completely piss off the fan base in the space of a day and a half.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
With Johnson, I think this kind of signing is pretty inevitable. Seems like all coaches, or at least most of them, require a veteran, stay-at-home, shot-blocking, good-locker-room-guy, security-blanket-type defender. If it’s not Staal, it’s Johnson. If it’s not Johnson, it’ll be someone similar. I guess we can just be glad he’s inexpensive and hope he’ll be used sparingly and the young guys step up sooner rather than later.

Reactions: motopanekeku

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
With Johnson, I think this kind of signing is pretty inevitable. Seems like all coaches, or at least most of them, require a veteran, stay-at-home, shot-blocking, good-locker-room-guy, security-blanket-type defender. If it’s not Staal, it’s Johnson. If it’s not Johnson, it’ll be someone similar. I guess we can just be glad he’s inexpensive and hope he’ll be used sparingly and the young guys step up sooner rather than later.
he is cheap, for only 1 year,
and could easily bring back a 2d or 3rd at TDL, or from contender caught short on D

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It's really frustrating that Zach Bogosian, who played well for the team that just won the Stanley Cup, signed for 1yr/$1M

If you have to sign Jack Johnson, fine. But why sign him on the first day of free agency - within the first few two of free agency at that? Why give him anything over $1 million, or anything more than league minimum? The Rangers were probably bidding against themselves.

JJ probably isn't going to see that much time in the NHL but any way you look at it this signing is worrying at best. Hire him as the team motivational speaker if he's such a great locker room guy.
Bogosian had much higher offers, perhaps one from the Rangers. He took less money to play in Toronto.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
he is cheap, for only 1 year,
and could easily bring back a 2d or 3rd at TDL, or from contender caught short on D
I’m not really even against the deal. It’s coach-think versus fan-think and ‘it is what it is’. Just wanted to point out we were going to have this kind of player regardless. I’d say.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
this was a lifeline thrown out by J.D who has had him in columbus and I think St.louis. Guy needs cash. I think his playing time will be negligible on the the Rangers

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
I see it solely as a replacement for the league experience they lost with Staal. JJ sucks but he knows the league and he can give the rookies a lot of shortcuts and advice. That's worth something.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
They paid, 1.15M for the worst defenseman in the league. So for that money you could literally sign ANY other NHL defenseman and it would be an improvement. Whether he plays 10-12-15 minutes a night, PURPOSELY adding the worst defenseman in the league is a mistake. There, I said it without getting hysterical.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a signing that is a bit of a security blanket. If one of the kids comes to camp and blows away the competition (Johnson in this case), great. Then it is no big deal for Johnson to be a spare part or even be shifted to Hartford if need be. If, otoh, one of the kids does not do that, then you have a low cost third pairing veteran defenseman who becomes a stop gap until 1) one of the kids is ready or 2) a good trading opportunity comes up.

This signing is really not a big deal.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's a signing that is a bit of a security blanket. If one of the kids comes to camp and blows away the competition (Johnson in this case), great. Then it is no big deal for Johnson to be a spare part or even be shifted to Hartford if need be. If, otoh, one of the kids does not do that, then you have a low cost third pairing veteran defenseman who becomes a stop gap until 1) one of the kids is ready or 2) a good trading opportunity comes up.

This signing is really not a big deal.
This could have been said about any other UFA defenseman, and a few who were even cheaper than Johnson, all who were better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad