Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign D Jack Johnson to one-year deal

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The crux of the issue is he might fit the bill for all those things but he's arguably the worst defenseman in the league and going to be playing regular minutes which actively makes the team worse

I don't think you can make any assumption about how he will be used.

But being rational and taking a breath and analyzing this move just isn't as fun as being alarmist.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don't think you can make any assumption about how he will be used.

But being rational and taking a breath and analyzing this move just isn't as fun as being alarmist.
We can't make an assumption on how he'll be used?

Under our new defense coach while in Pittsburgh, Jack Johnson played in 98% of the games he could have, and averaged over 19 minutes a game

Couple that with the fact that we have 1.5 legit NHL LD, and the teams propensity playing pylons, if anything we shouldn't be making assumptions that he won't play

But do you I guess lol

Reactions: SA16

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Under our new defense coach while in Pittsburgh, Jack Johnson played in 98% of the games he could have, and averaged over 19 minutes a game

Couple that with the fact that we have 1.5 legit NHL LD, and the teams propensity playing pylons, if anything we shouldn't be making assumptions that he won't play

But do you I guess lol

Assistant coaches don't really make lineup decisions. They have input, sure, but the head coach makes the final decision.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

But do you I guess lol
I must have missed when we became the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I'd love to know which legit defenseman they could have for 1.5M.

This is basically an Adam McQuid move.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Wasn't as bad last season, and candidly he's an upgrade from Smith... who you've y'all seen out there. This is what you would call a "low-event" upgrade. In other words, with a situational gap that requires stability, Johnson is a far more reliable option, albeit a boring one at that. As a veteran 7th and 8th guy I can easily accept this.

This is not a bad signing if you manage the minutes and the implement a better d-zone scheme. If you accept this player for what he is and what he can do for you, versus what he was supposed to be, you'll see some competent minutes.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Assistant coaches don't really make lineup decisions. They have input, sure, but the head coach makes the final decision.
so if Martin says "David I think Jack should be playing" do we really expect Quinn to say no?

Cause I don't
I must have missed when we became the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I'd love to know which legit defenseman they could have for 1.5M.

This is basically an Adam McQuid move.
There was multiple signed for the same price or less yesterday that would have been better

I have no desire to go back and forth with you considering you stick you head in the sand about anything related to this sort of stuff so have a good Saturday lol

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I have a question for the ones really freaking over this and I apologize if it was answered but Are any of you guys worried if he has an amazing season?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I have a question for the ones really freaking over this and I apologize if it was answered but Are any of you guys worried if he has an amazing season?
Meaning worried about him getting a long-term deal afterwards? Or worried about being wrong?

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
If one of the kids wins the spot you really think JJ is gonna block them? Hes coming in as a 6/7 and hes making peanuts. This is not a big deal but hey you gotta do something with all the displaced Staal angst.

congee

Mar 6, 2020
Gordon couldn't find a serviceable dmen at around $1 million, says a lot about Gordon

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Do tell...

Let ME tell.

Here are the UFA LD signed yesterday for under $1.5m

Brandon Davidson - $700k
Andreas Borgman - $700k
Anthony Bitetto - $737,500
Derrick Pouliot - $700k
Luca Sbisa - $800k
Nathan Beaulieu - $1.25m
Jon Merrill - $925k

Are these guys significantly better than Jack Johnson? No. Maybe slightly, but they're all of about the same quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->