Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign C Kevin Rooney to a two-year deal

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not me. Gauthier still has much, MUCH higher potential. Rooney is an AHLer who can fill the role for a 4th liner on a bad team or a team with no center depth, which he is doing right now just fine. But Guathier needs to be given his fair shake, and 3 games with under 10 minutes isn't that.
Of course Gauthier has much higher potential. That is not the issue. And, yes, the trade was still a trade you make today.

The problem that Guathier faces is both quantity and ability. The quantity is that there seems to be enough depth on the wing on the bottom 2 lines that unless he outplays someone and forces his way in, he is looking at an "up or out" scenario. He looks great coming off the bus but that ultimately translates to nothing. Players like Blackwell, DiGi, Rooney, they all make the most of their minutes and make themselves noticeable. Even in smaller samples. Gauthier has looked and produced basically the same in the 17 games that he has played. And that is the same if he plays 5 minutes or 15. There is no differential in output or ability to make himself noticeable.

Reactions: eco's bones

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Yea a consistent player like rooney or PDG is more valuable in the bottom 6 than a pure skill guy that shows up sporadically on the scoresheet and doesnt elevate his linemates play.

Gauthier is at a crossroads with NYR. He needs to start playing a power forwards game because he is more of the same. He needs to do something that the guys ahead of him arent.

Even that might not be enough with Kakko and Laf looking like PF types. Hes the odd man out right now.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Yea a consistent player like rooney or PDG is more valuable in the bottom 6 than a pure skill guy that shows up sporadically on the scoresheet and doesnt elevate his linemates play.

Gauthier is at a crossroads with NYR. He needs to start playing a power forwards game because he is more of the same. He needs to do something that the guys ahead of him arent.

Even that might not be enough with Kakko and Laf looking like PF types. Hes the odd man out right now.
It's become a tougher situation for him because there's so much young competition and unexpectedly from Blackwell, PDG, and Rooney.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Devils fans actually like him and bummed to see him go

I don't recall that being the case as most Devils fans were glad to see him just to make room for forward prospects. That being said, I think it was a solid signing for the Rangers. I thought a key reason he was signed was because of the expansion draft, which is why the Rangers gave him a 2-year deal. He only needed to play 5 games (which he's already surpassed) in order to qualify to be one of the 2 forwards the Rangers have to expose that meet the minimum games played threshold (27 this year or 54 over the past 2 years) and are RFA's or signed beyond the end of this season. Seems like the Rangers may have also had a need for a player like him on the 4th line/PK (and the Devils certainly could use a player like him on their PK). Rooney was always sound defensively, worked hard and worst case scenario would've been a leader for the AHL club but he's showing he deserves to play in the NHL so it's good to see him having success.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
My only concern with these three guys right now is that it's very possible that the guys who rely less on skill and timing have benefitted greatly from everybody else's being disrupted by the nature of the season.

If we actually have struck oil with di Giuseppe, Blackwell, and Rooney, then that is going to go a long way toward giving our kids an environment to learn in, where they can work through growing pains.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
More good pro scouting. I’m sensing a trend here.
What are you talking about? The scouting is awful. I mean they drafted Lindboom in the second round.

In all seriousness, Rooney is looking like the answer to the 4th line center. Between he and Lemieux, you have the beginning of an excellent 4th line.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
What are you talking about? The scouting is awful. I mean they drafted Lindboom in the second round.

In all seriousness, Rooney is looking like the answer to the 4th line center. Between he and Lemieux, you have the beginning of an excellent 4th line.
Pro scouting. They founds guys like Blackwell, DiGuiseppe and Rooney as low cost UFA additions. They traded for Zibanajad and Strome. That’s first class pro scouting.

The amateur scouting isn’t bad either. Remember they picked Miller and Lundqvist with the two picks before Lindbom (who still may work out) That’s 2/6 of an NHL defense for the next 10 years.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pro scouting. They founds guys like Blackwell, DiGuiseppe and Rooney as low cost UFA additions. They traded for Zibanajad and Strome. That’s first class pro scouting.

The amateur scouting isn’t bad either. Remember they picked Miller and Lundqvist with the two picks before Lindbom (who still may work out) That’s 2/6 of an NHL defense for the next 10 years.
I agree. I just think that as of today, there are people who want to throw shade on the organization as a whole. Whether it is coaching staff, front office management or scouting.

Back to Rooney, he really does look like he can be a solution for the 4C for a while.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ree8c5440357399efa3d50474bba69358

He's got sand.

I like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->